Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 am

I think that this current trend of manufacturers making their rides more comfortable is AWESOME.

First, Premier reworked those LIM-launch trains and Mr Freeze moved up more than 100 spots on my faves list. Poltergeist at SFFT followed suit and that coaster moved up even farther. It went from my bottom 10 to my top 25!

Now it looks like Vekoma is getting the hint. It makes sense that if you are going to do all that engineering on designing a bitchin layout, and if the park is going to drop $10 million or so, that you'd want a ride that people actually enjoy. Duh.

Vekoma.... if you're reading this, I have one word for you: GOUDURIX

It's such a pretty coaster and a killer layout... and yet it's number 481 on my faves list. Dead last. I wonder if the migraine and bruises that it gave me after only one ride could be the reason?

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Absimilliard » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:28 am

I don't think Parc Asterix would buy anything from Vekoma directly. They like to "update" their rides in-house and given the recent work done on Goudurix, new trains are out of the question. Last year, they changed the ride computer, rewired the whole ride, modified the trains to have an electric restraint release AND added little lights to the headrests that tell if they're locked.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:30 am

Absimilliard wrote:I don't think Parc Asterix would buy anything from Vekoma directly. They like to "update" their rides in-house and given the recent work done on Goudurix, new trains are out of the question. Last year, they changed the ride computer, rewired the whole ride, modified the trains to have an electric restraint release AND added little lights to the headrests that tell if they're locked.

...none of which makes the ride experience any better for the customer. In fact, I'll bet that most of the park visitors wouldn't even notice those changes.

What they will notice, however, is how badly the ride beats them.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Absimilliard » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 am

Parc Asterix doesn't care. They're still full most of the summer, even with very minimal investments. Since 2001 (the year they added a 12 million dollars Mack Bobsled!), they added a cheap dark ride in 2003, replaced a great show with a lame one and they're building a "Mad House" this winter. That's it. There was a very serious project to replace Goudurix with a B&M looper or Inverted, but the park never received the budgets for it! Instead, they just got barely enough to upgrade Goudurix to keep it running.

The main problem with Parc Asterix is that its now owned by "la Compagnie des Alpes". Compagnies des Alpes is an almost public company that owns a lot of amusement parks (which they invest PENNIES in them!) and skiing places (need a new chairlift? Here's 20 millions!). Compagnie des Alpes is runned under the mentality "we're not here to make a profit", so they only invest when its really needed. Seeing that Parc Asterix is still getting 1.6 million visitors...

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Acero » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:43 am

Absimilliard wrote:The main problem with Parc Asterix is that its now owned by "la Compagnie des Alpes". Compagnies des Alpes is an almost public company that owns a lot of amusement parks (which they invest PENNIES in them!) and skiing places (need a new chairlift? Here's 20 millions!). Compagnie des Alpes is runned under the mentality "we're not here to make a profit", so they only invest when its really needed. Seeing that Parc Asterix is still getting 1.6 million visitors...

Kudos to that! Compagnie des Alpes is probably one of the most uninterested and boring theme park operators in the world. They make absolutely no effort to change what they consider already 'good enough,' and have extremely poor guest relations/support. It's actually sad to see the Parc Asterix is so neglected that they don't even receive show upgrades and so forth. The management the operator has installed at the park Walibi World thinks that removing rides and putting on mediocre shows is going to somehow maintain the amount of guests that the park amazingly receives. I'm actually quite jealous of the team at Walibi Belgium, who really put their hearts into maintaining rides AND a decent water park, investing in shows, entertainment, and 'quality' restaurants and keep a real balance between child and thrill attractions (addition of Vertigo in 2006/2007 -- Walibi World's last major attraction was Goliath, which was constructed during the Six Flags Holland era). According to the Walibi World management, keeping a balance is removing thrill rides, closing thrill rides, and installing wastes of space. In fact, Walibi World was the first park to test these new SLC seats, and even though the reaction from the GP was great during the test sequences, they have not shown large interest in purchasing train-fulls of these new seats.
Well back on topic, I believe that Vekoma is heading in the right direction with these new seats, obviously, it's just sad it took them, what - 13 years to do so. The pain has been there since the inception of the SLC, and was quite evident, so taking over a decade to redesign such migraine-inducing trains seems quite unreasonable. But hey -- at least they've done it. Now it's up to the parks to invest in the trains (highly reccomended for any SLC-possessing park out there).

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby sixflagsguy5 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 pm

I remember laughing during most of the ride because it was so rough. Restraints have nothing to do with how rough the ride is, but hopefully they will make it so that the headbanging doesn't hurt as much.

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm

If the parks with SLC are smart, they all should get these.

As for the Great Nor'Easter, it looks better now than it did a couple days ago, and a couple days ago it looked pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope that they put these seats on. :)

We Ride with Pride

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 pm

sixflagsguy5 wrote:I remember laughing during most of the ride because it was so rough. Restraints have nothing to do with how rough the ride is, but hopefully they will make it so that the headbanging doesn't hurt as much.

Yes, but, the more free you feel, the less jerky it feels. Thats why B&M's are so smooth... freedom. I was on Vampire (Walibi Belgium) and I found a way to keep the ride smooth. If you press your head against onside of the harnest, then it will be very smooth. These seats look like they do it for you.

These new seats are not only more atractive, but since it makes you feel more free, it won't cuase much headbanging...

But your right, it won't help THAT much! ;)

We Ride with Pride

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm

I've been on The Great Nor Easter many times over the last few years and it's definately the best out of about a dozen SLCs I've ridden. The views the coaster offers and the way the ride is wrapped around so many exisiting structures is amazing. Hopefully many other parks will get these types of restraints for their SLCs because they can actually be really fun rides if they're not beating the hell out of you.
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Acero » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Team Thriller wrote:5

Yes, but, the more free you feel, the less jerky it feels. Thats why B&M's are so smooth... freedom. I was on Vampire (Walibi Belgium) and I found a way to keep the ride smooth. If you press your head against onside of the harnest, then it will be very smooth. These seats look like they do it for you.

These new seats are not only more atractive, but since it makes you feel more free, it won't cuase much headbanging...

But your right, it won't help THAT much! ;)

Actually, Vampire is one of nicer SLCs out there, and while it is bumpy, your skull is not violently crushed into the restraint during the rollover, like it is in T2 at Kentucky Kingdom, or El Condor.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!