Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 944: Avengers Campus opens in Summer 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Disney should be calling this a soft opening. The amount of downtime and limited capacity is definitely not a full open.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:This is correct. Think of it as two factor authentication: Ticket Scanned and Geo Location unlocks the ability to get the boarding group.

i didn't even realize gps had anything to do with it until i watched a video where the guy failed to get a boarding group because his location services was off.

also, for anyone interested in my technique to getting a boarding group, here's what i've been doing. i've never done rope drop at disneyland until last friday. now i've done it every day since. :br

i have locked on to this technique. the last 4 days i've gotten group 6, 6, 14 and today, 11.

i start with the app open on the home page. i don't think it's super important, but i've been counting down the seconds on my watch. right at park opening, which has been either 8am or 9am, click "find out more". the next page will have "join boarding group". if it's already red, touch to join. or, touch, "my status". by this time on the next page, "join boarding group" should be highlighted and you can touch the button. it will then scan tickets, then allow you to hit the final button at the bottom of the page to join a boarding group. another second or so and you'll find out what your group is.

i have opened up the app fresh at park opening and was able to snag group 47. imo, it takes too long and people around you will already be cheering. lol also, there's been many times that the app doesn't log you in immediately, which will just kill your chances at any decent boarding group.

a few other things to note.

make sure you only have who's in your group that day linked to your account. if you have others, you'll have to uncheck them after the app scans for tickets. this takes valuable time and you'll end up being pushed back. it's good to check by trying to make a fastpass before park opening. i've had friends who were in the park, but the app wasn't seeing them.

see if you can find an area where you know your data works great. i have a spot where i have full bars and the connection works great doing anything. not easy to say around the disneyland resort. so, i haven't moved from this spot since i found it.

anyway, just thought i'd post my personal tips that have worked excellent for me. obviously i'm not the only one in the early groups so there are other ways to get there, but this is mine. hope it helps someone.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby jjeerr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 pm

oh rise of the resistance is good! group 74, got on around 3:30!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Lucas The Drummer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:31 pm

Trying to decide between visiting on March 29th, 30th, or 31st. Realistically, is there going to be any major difference in crowds between these 3 days?
Signature?!?!?! What the hell am I buying?

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am

^ Monday or Tuesday (30th or 31st) will be far better to visit than on Sunday. Locals are at work and school.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby jjeerr » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am

Sunday night my group was 107, we made it! It went down as we were prisoners of the empire, but we were able to be recovered into the "fastpass" line for a full run!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Lucas The Drummer wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on March 29th, 30th, or 31st. Realistically, is there going to be any major difference in crowds between these 3 days?

As others have said, Sunday will probably be the busiest of those days. However, is Fantasmic a priority for you? For me, it would be since I love that show. In the slower times, they tend to only run the show Friday-Sunday.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- NASCAR SpeedPark & Carowinds- Fall

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Lucas The Drummer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:01 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Lucas The Drummer wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on March 29th, 30th, or 31st. Realistically, is there going to be any major difference in crowds between these 3 days?

As others have said, Sunday will probably be the busiest of those days. However, is Fantasmic a priority for you? For me, it would be since I love that show. In the slower times, they tend to only run the show Friday-Sunday.

Nah, my only priority really are the two Star Wars rides. I was waiting for RotR to open before visiting, but this boarding group stuff is honestly making me nervous. I'm hoping by the time my trips rolls around, they won't be doing the boarding groups anymore, or at least they won't fill up as quick as they are currently.

Also: would there be likely any difference in crowds between that Monday and Tuesday?
Signature?!?!?! What the hell am I buying?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:As others have said, Sunday will probably be the busiest of those days. However, is Fantasmic a priority for you? For me, it would be since I love that show. In the slower times, they tend to only run the show Friday-Sunday.

For what it's worth, it appears they will be running Fantasmic on that Monday and Tuesday, as you are able to reserve the dinner packages for them on those dates.

I'm hoping that's the case when I visit two weeks later on the 13th-15th of April; they haven't yet released those dates or reservations. (Yeah, I ended up springing for the three day tickets after all. It ended up actually being cheaper for my son's ticket for 3 days instead of 2 by like a couple of bucks.)
That coaster dad [340] and that coaster kiddo [222]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. TMNT Shellraiser. Fury 325.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:30 am

^&^^Spring Breaks in this country run from beginning of March to end of April, hopefully you'll see some extended Fantastic shows during that time but the parks will also be slightly more crowded than normal.

Lucas - That week is San Diego schools Spring Break, but not LAUSD so that's ok for you.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!