Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 944: Avengers Campus opens in Summer 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am

coasterbill wrote:It looks like they've posted everything for that date and it's just Snow White, Carousel, Haunted Mansion and Red Car Trolley (which I had to Google) at the other park.

Since you're in a fluming mood, note that since we won't be in town, Timber Mountain Log ride will be open.

That probably means that all of Knott's launched coasters will be down for me, again :lol: Thanks!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby niomosy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
coneyislandchris wrote:My son and I are going to be heading out to the west coast during the week and a half he has off from school in April, and we're probably going to make it his first visit to a Disney park. I'm thinking two days mid-week, one per park, and getting the MaxPass both days to minimize downtime. Obviously we'll be a little bit too early for the new Marvel stuff, but that's okay. Any recommendations on how to best plan out our time here? Must dos for us will be the coasters, the Haunted Mansion, and the Star Wars stuff.

Oh, and side note, will any SoCal waterparks aside from Great Wolf Lodge be open at that point in the year, or are we out of luck there?

I always go with the park hopper since the two entrances are literally 60 seconds apart and I usually spend more time at Disneyland. I think California Adventure's top rides are just as good as the top rides at Disneyland, but there are more things I want to reride at Disneyland. That being said, you shouldn't have a problem doing everything with 1 full day at each park.

I don't know if the park has announced how they'll handle Rise of the Resistance yet, but if they do the first come, timed boarding pass system like Florida, you'll likely want to get there at opening.

For Smuggler's Run, we saved that ride for closing since it had a posted 50-60 minute wait most of the day. We walked onto it at closing. However, the ride does have 3 positions that are all unique. I like pilot best, but gunner is fun as well. If you want to try all the positions, you may want to do this one a few times.

One of the other advantages to getting to the park early is that you can knock out the low capacity Fantasyland dark rides early. You also can get ahead of the curve on Fastpasses. This is important since you can get your next Fastpass after 90 minutes or when your most recent Fastpass becomes active. For example, I usually get there a half hour early so I can get the first Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers. This is the ride whose Fastpasses run out first. Since mine starts early, I can beat the wave of people to the Toy Story fastpasses and so forth.

I have to agree with getting there early. You can often get done in a couple hours what takes a lot longer to do if you don't arrive until after 10am. We did 3-day passes this past week/weekend and found that we had a full day at Disneyland with early access, a partial day at DCA early, then on to Disneyland for the rest of the day, then cleanup rides on the 3rd day. Planned will with better use of fast passes than we had, 2 days would work out well.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am

It looks like all the regular boarding groups disappeared in less than a minute and the backup boarding groups lasted just under 10 minutes.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Epcot & Animal Kingdom

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am

I was surprised (and then again, I wasn't) that people showed up so early to get into the park. With the Boarding Groups being a first come first serve digital service that went live at 8:00 am, as long as you were in the park just a few minutes before, you'd have an equal opportunity to snag a boarding pass as the person who showed up at 4am.

I hope the ride operates well today for everyone trying to join the resistance!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am

I think Disneyland got all of Florida's Star Wars Rise Mojo today as ours has been down for about 3.5 hours during the day so far! Good luck SoCal!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Hello all,
My long-awaited trip to Disneyland (the first ever for my daughters) is coming up in just a few weeks (Tuesday and Wednesday, February 11-12). We'll be staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice, as I'm clueless when it comes to this park.

1. What is a good option for breakfast? We won't go to Goofy's Kitchen, as we want to make Magic Hour, and their earliest reservation option was for 9:00. We don't want to waste too much time on breakfast (though we would like something substantial, not just coffee and doughnuts). Any other suggestions for lunch and dinner?

2. Any strategies for the park itself? I'm hoping that the days will be quiet (mid-week in winter, no schools have those days off), but a strategy can't hurt.

Thank you in advance!
-Doug
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:54 pm

^ Just to ask for more info, what are the ages of your daughters, and their Disney parks interests?
Like, what or who do they really really REALLY want to see/do there! Etc. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:13 pm

scooterdoug wrote:Hello all,
My long-awaited trip to Disneyland (the first ever for my daughters) is coming up in just a few weeks (Tuesday and Wednesday, February 11-12). We'll be staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice, as I'm clueless when it comes to this park.

1. What is a good option for breakfast? We won't go to Goofy's Kitchen, as we want to make Magic Hour, and their earliest reservation option was for 9:00. We don't want to waste too much time on breakfast (though we would like something substantial, not just coffee and doughnuts). Any other suggestions for lunch and dinner?

2. Any strategies for the park itself? I'm hoping that the days will be quiet (mid-week in winter, no schools have those days off), but a strategy can't hurt.

Thank you in advance!
-Doug

It's pricey, but I highly recommend the brunch at Storyteller's Cafe. It's a character meal so you get to see the characters and it's a buffet too. They had Mickey waffles and prime rib so I left very happy.

Based on what happened today, make sure you are ready to reserve Rise of the Resistance when the boarding goes live at park open. As for touring the park, you have an advantage staying on-site with the early morning hours.

Will you have MaxPass? I highly recommend it. You will get way more fastpasses and free photos. The most important thing for me is to get a Radiator Springs fastpass for the earliest return time. If you're in the park for Early Magic Hours, you should have no problem doing this. It'll allow you to get ahead of the FastPass curve since that's the first FastPass many pick no matter the return time. You can then start getting rides like Toy Story with instant return times before their reservation windows increase later in the day.

Of the rides not on FastPass, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Smuggler's Run get the longest queues from my experience. I recommend hitting them towards the end of the night if you aren't going there at rope drop.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Epcot & Animal Kingdom

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:41 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:I was surprised (and then again, I wasn't) that people showed up so early to get into the park. With the Boarding Groups being a first come first serve digital service that went live at 8:00 am, as long as you were in the park just a few minutes before, you'd have an equal opportunity to snag a boarding pass as the person who showed up at 4am.

I hope the ride operates well today for everyone trying to join the resistance!

Anyone heard about the paper boarding group assignments that were supposedly available at the Star Tours FP machines, and GR kiosks for those unable or unwilling to use the phone app? Curious how fast those went, or if anyone even had a chance of success through that route.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:45 pm

I didn't even know that had an alternate option! However, I'd guess that anyone tying to get those would have been put of luck. I've seen all over the internet that the boarding passes were gone or in to back up numbers within 5 minutes.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!