Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 am

Highridin wrote:I'll be here on Sunday. I have a meal add on with my ticket. Please, someone give me a recommendation on where to use it. Thanks!

If you don't mind trucking on into Wildwater Kingdom, the Tidal Wave Cafe inside WWK actually has some pretty damned good meals. You get your choice of entree and a side, and the pulled pork + mac & cheese combo is pretty good, but they've got a big variety to choose from. My family and I tried it out for the first time last weekend when we were out there and everyone was pleasantly surprised with how good it was compared to the average theme park food we've gotten from other stands.

Other than that, I'd say stick to either the create-your-own burrito, Subway sandwiches, or get a cheesesteak from the Chickies & Pete's next to Sea Dragon. Don't get a burger or pizza anywhere.

~~~~

So yeah, as I mentioned above, my family and I checked out Wildwater Kingdom last weekend. We haven't been to the wet side of the park... well, them, in ever, and in my case more like since I was about 15 or 16. It might as well have been all new to me because I didn't remember anything about it. It was a pretty good day overall. My daughter didn't make height for more than a couple of slides. There was Aqua Racer, which was her first racing mat slide, and she absolutely loved it and ended up doing it three times in a row. She also tried the body slides called Jumpin' Jack Splash, and promptly got stuck on one of the open-air ones (probably the orange one). She fared a little bit better with speed down the enclosed blue slide there, but after that getting-stuck experience, didn't really want anything to do with those slides for the rest of the day. Which is okay, because Mom and her ended up hanging out all over their numerous kiddie splash zones while the big kiddo and I headed off to do other slides.

We actually started off by checking out the Runaway River, which had a little bit of slow spots at the beginning but really picked up speed and splash once we turned a couple corners. Unfortunately for the kiddo, he got splashed off his inner tube, then proceeded to scrape his heel against the wall and drew a little bit of blood, so it was off to the first aid van for a quick band-aid and complimentary drinking water. This didn't deter him from his plans of getting on as many slides as he could, though. We ended up doing one apiece at Patriot's Plunge, their trio of red, white, and blue tube slides. He took red, I took white, and we met down at the finish line. Passed on seconds as the line was starting to build up over there, so we made our way around for the body slides which were posting no waits... and my charming son decided to shout "See you later, suckers!" as we made our way up the shared staircases for those. The yellow one of those was pretty good, nice speed and some good whipping going on. We caught up with the girls after trying out the raft tube ride, Aquablast, in which I ended up backwards the entire time. Fun stuff. By this point, my little girl was all worn out from splashing all day long, so the big kiddo and I split off again leaving the ladies to rest and relax in the sun. We made our last few stops of the day over at the Snake Pit complex, which had some tube slides ("Boa Blasters") -- I love these ones that have those translucent cutouts that makes it seem like you're traveling through a warp zone. Really cool stuff. I also ended up doing the red drop slide ("Python Plummet"), and it was pretty rewarding for me after a bad first experience on one of these drop slides down at Aquatica. The kiddo, however, he kept trying to psych himself up to do it, but he made the cardinal mistake of looking down when he was about to step into the drop tube. The ride op was very patient (considering he must see some variation on this countless times a day), and eventually we stepped aside so he could see some other people do it. Ultimately though he just couldn't get himself in the right frame of mind. No worries, there's always next time!

Outside of the waterpark, we didn't do too much; the kids and Mom ended up doing a lap on the carousel near the front gate, while the kids and I did one round on Kaleidoscope. No dice on either of the 54" coasters for the kiddo this time around, he's literally still just a hair shy of measuring up -- but hopefully by the time we get back he'll be able to take his first rides on Talon & Hydra. All in all, a pretty fun day, capped off with a stop at the nearby Yocco's on Hamilton Blvd for some great cheesesteaks and pierogies for the ride home!
That coaster dad [331] and that coaster kiddo [183]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Storm Runner. Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am

Wildwater Kingdom really is a nice water park. I love the drop pod slide and Patriot Plunge.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks folks. I'll put the advice to good use.
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Highridin wrote:I'll be here on Sunday. I have a meal add on with my ticket. Please, someone give me a recommendation on where to use it. Thanks!

Wawa or wendys.

In all seriousness though, ive heard good things about tidal wave cafe. If you can, use it at chickie and petes.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Chickie and Pete's is my Cedar Fair go to. The fries are expensive, but they're delicious.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Postby YoshiFan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 am

I like how at Dorney on the dining plan you can get both a cheesesteak and fries for a meal. The cheesesteak is smaller but it's enough with the usual large amount fries.

I agree with the comments about WWK. I always find myself spending most of my time at Dorney in WWK and riding the water rides on the ride side and usually taking a quick lap around the park with 1 ride on each coaster and a couple of flat rides.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!