Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby YoshiFan » Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Something I never thought I would see at Dorney happened. Fast Lane was sold out in multiple stores. The first 2 stores were out, the 3rd store told me I can’t get a wristband if it is all Season Fast Lane and finally store 4 allowed me to get a wristband. Lines aren’t too bad, 10 - 20 minutes but since I paid for it for the year for WWK, I thought I might as well use it on the ride side for once.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

I love how 10-20 minute lines at Dorney cause FastLane to sell out. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Darien Lake & Kings Island

Postby YoshiFan » Sat May 18, 2019 9:19 pm

It was also funny to see people enter a line and turn around and leave when they saw the end of the line even when it wasn't bad. In almost any other park people would be happy to wait up to 20 minutes on a nice weather Saturday.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FocalRanger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:35 am

Friday May 24th Photo Trip Report

Dorney Park is a little over 3 hours away from me and in my 13 years of being a coaster enthusiast I have never made the trip out there, until this past Memorial Day weekend.
The weather was perfect in Allentown and I arrived to the park around 12pm. Started heading towards the front gate when I noticed swarms of students wearing the dreaded matching shirts :lmao: There was a bunch of school music groups at the park that day. If it weren't for all the school kids it would of been absolutely dead. Wait times still were not bad at all. Never over 20-30 minutes.
We decided to hit Hydra first and chose the back row. I was so surprised by this floorless. The drop was nice in the back and I loved the flow of the inversions. The jojo roll was very fun and neat as well. I think this ties for my favorite floorless with Bizarro. So after Hydra we rode Thunder Canyon, White Water Landing, and Thunder Creek Mountain. Needless to say, we were wet. To dry off we waited the longest wait of the day and rode Thunderhawk. It was running one train operations until the staff did eventually add another train and test it which added to our wait at the time. My brother and I really liked Thunderhawk though. Airtime was there and a really cool turnaround topped with rich history and bam, that's a winner for me. From there we went over to Possessed. I enjoyed the non twisting spike a lot and wish I could of experienced the holding- brake! We also got stuck after the ride was finished as someone pushed on a gate in the station which flipped a sensor. The train was just sitting in the launch section for about 10-15 min. Not the worst experience. Since we were in the area, we waited about 10 minutes and hopped in the very last row of Steel Force. I was very excited to ride my first Morgan hyper and compare it to Magnum as well. Great floater airtime on every hill and a crazy turnaround on this one. Just a very fun re-rideable coaster. Was it better than Magnum for me? No, I still prefer Magnum just a tiny bit. After Steel Force we decided to check out some flat rides. Demon Drop was really cool in a messed up sort of way. Very horrifying and interesting experience. Revolution was fun and had no wait at all so that was nice. it was at this point in the day that the only remaining task my brother and I wanted to accomplish was ride Talon. This turned to be quite the adventure. Talon was running earlier in the afternoon but when we decided to head that way in the evening, there was the sight nobody wants to see, a chain across the entrance and an employee posted there to give the bad news. We walked away feeling defeated and I was already having feelings of regret for not having ridden it earlier in the day. This invert has been on my mind for such a long time and I was beyond bummed. To cheer ourselves up we bought some Rita's Italian ice and tried Hydra in the front row. I vote backrow over front for this ride. Upon exiting Hydra I saw a beautiful thing off in the distance... a train heading up Talon's lift. We made a beeline for it and were waiting in a 15 minute line. I was happy. We made it to the station and before you know it our restraints were being checked. But, instead of hearing an "All Clear" over the speakers, something less desired was stated. The ride ops told the station that Talon would be suspending operations for the moment and that everyone could continue to wait in line, but was not recommended. So, once again we walked away from Talon, this time hurting a little more than the first. I was starting to plan a second trip to Dorney in my head just to get a ride on this thing. To ease our pain this time we tried another run on Steel Force and was effective at changing our moods. At this point we decided to start heading towards the front gate and head home. To our surprise we saw Talon running as we were walking out. No questions asked we took our third attempt at riding the elusive invert. This time it was a walk on, so we chose the very front row. We had our restraints checked and this time, we were headed out the station and up the lift. This was definitely one of the smoothest B&M inverts I have ridden if not the smoothest. I loved the pacing, inversions, and the strong and fast finish. Well worth the wait I would say.
Overall, a really perfect day and a great first time for us at the park.
Onto the photos! Oh, and please excuse the lack of trains in the shots, I was feeling a little impatient that day ;)
dp1.jpg
dp10.jpg
dp11.jpg
dp12.jpg
dp13.jpg
dp14.jpg
dp15.jpg
dp16.jpg
dp17.jpg
dp18.jpg
dp19.jpg
dp2.jpg
dp20.jpg
dp3.jpg
dp4.jpg
dp5.jpg
dp6.jpg
dp7.jpg
dp8.jpg
dp9.jpg
dp21.jpg
dp22.jpg
dp23.jpg
dp24.jpg
dp25.jpg
dp26.jpg
dp27.jpg
dp28.jpg
dp29.jpg
dp30.jpg
dp31.jpg
dp32.jpg
dp33.jpg
dp34.jpg
dp35.jpg
dp36.jpg
dp37.jpg
dp38.jpg
dp39.jpg
dp40.jpg
dp41.jpg
dp42.jpg
dp43.jpg
dp44.jpg
dp45.jpg
dp46.jpg
dp47.jpg
dp48.jpg
dp49.jpg
dp50.jpg
dp51.jpg
dp52.jpg

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:51 am

Pretty cool photos! Glad you enjoyed it!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm

That last photo is beautiful! Amd the ones from hydra are fantastic! Hydra really is a photogenic coaster! Glas to hear you had a good time at the park!
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:45 pm

I know Dorney is often the butt of jokes, but it sure is one pretty park. Great photos!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Darien Lake & Kings Island

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Nice photos, especially the ones feeding the ducks and a goose :) (they must like funnel cake)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FocalRanger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Thank you guys! I appreciate the feedback! And yes Dorney is a little gem in my opinion, I had a great time. I especially enjoyed the Steel Force/ Thunderhawk section of the park with Cedar creek running through it....and the geese of course!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:41 pm

FocalRanger wrote:Thank you guys! I appreciate the feedback! And yes Dorney is a little gem in my opinion, I had a great time. I especially enjoyed the Steel Force/ Thunderhawk section of the park with Cedar creek running through it....and the geese of course!

That section of the park is always so nice and well landscaped!
During haunt, its even better!
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!