Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 428: Seaside Splashworks water play structure announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:Welp, there goes one of the only attributes in the plus column for this park.

Really? A holding brake? :roll:

I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

Gonna be headed to the park for the haunts on Sunday night after Hershey!! I can't wait! Any tips or advice on what not to miss out on?
Yankee Cannonball <3

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 pm

ScreaminNewEngland wrote:
michaellynn4 wrote:Welp, there goes one of the only attributes in the plus column for this park.

Yes, Intamin Impulses are gimmicky to a fault, but they're awesome. And that nut-shattering holding break is the best gimmick and very few still operate that way.

I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

-Noise complaints prohibit the B&M roar on Talon and Hydra
-Knoebels is spitting distance away
-Hersheypark is spitting distance away
-Kennywood, while not exactly spitting distance, is still a day trip away.
-Since it's part of a chain, there's a lot to compare it to. Unfortunately Dorney drew the short end of the stick and gets compared to Cedar Point. CP is getting enthusiast nirvana while DP is getting...a restaurant in the waterpark.

But I'm still looking forward to my potential first trip to the park next year.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Mall of America

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:-Noise complaints prohibit the B&M roar on Talon and Hydra

Yeah, if the coasters were louder this would be a top 10 park for sure. Coaster loudness is always a major factor when determining how good a park is.

... lol wtf?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 am

Yes. That holding brake was one of the best parts of one of the best rides in the park. Will it not working cause me to stop going to Dorney? Absolutely not. But I loved that holding brake.

ScreaminNewEngland wrote:I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

Its a matter of monkey-see-monkey-do. Enthusiasts are notorious for it. My running theory is that its because enthusiasts are such f*cking nerds and generally have zero social skills whatsoever that they kind of go along with what other enthusiasts say/do. The evidence is there: just look at they way Six Flags is consistently bashed, even though you can usually find many of the same things people gripe about @ Six Flags parks happening at many other parks as well, but somehow its more of an issue if its at a Six Flags park. Hell, this forum has an entire thread dedicated to doing just that. A perfect example of this type of thing is the poster two posts above mine who has provided a superficial list of reasons why Dorney is bad, even though he has never even been there.

Personally, Dorney is fine, if you just take it for what it is. I don't pine to go there all the time, but I enjoy my visits. On paper, particularly from an enthusiast standpoint, the park seems like it sucks. But Dorney is very clean, very well landscaped, has a unique layout, has a great flat ride collection, a huge and solid waterpark, has a few really good (and a couple of great) coasters, a great Haunt event, and there is never a wait for the rides. Not to mention not one but two Chickies and Petes. Absolutely none of that is a bad thing.

You want the real reason the park gets bashed here? Simple: they haven't added an original coaster in 12 years. That's it, that's all.

coasterbill wrote:

Yeah, if the coasters were louder this would be a top 10 park for sure. Coaster loudness is always a major factor when determining how good a park is.

... lol wtf?

:nina: :nina: :nina: I mean really.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 am

boldikus wrote:
ScreaminNewEngland wrote:I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

Its a matter of monkey-see-monkey-do. Enthusiasts are notorious for it. My running theory is that its because enthusiasts are such f*cking nerds and generally have zero social skills whatsoever that they kind of go along with what other enthusiasts say/do. The evidence is there: just look at they way Six Flags is consistently bashed, even though you can usually find many of the same things people gripe about @ Six Flags parks happening at many other parks as well, but somehow its more of an issue if its at a Six Flags park. Hell, this forum has an entire thread dedicated to doing just that. A perfect example of this type of thing is the poster two posts above mine who has provided a superficial list of reasons why Dorney is bad, even though he has never even been there.

Personally, Dorney is fine, if you just take it for what it is. I don't pine to go there all the time, but I enjoy my visits. On paper, particularly from an enthusiast standpoint, the park seems like it sucks. But Dorney is very clean, very well landscaped, has a unique layout, has a great flat ride collection, a huge and solid waterpark, has a few really good (and a couple of great) coasters, a great Haunt event, and there is never a wait for the rides. Not to mention not one but two Chickies and Petes. Absolutely none of that is a bad thing.

You want the real reason the park gets bashed here? Simple: they haven't added an original coaster in 12 years. That's it, that's all.

That coaster dad [340] and that coaster kiddo [222]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. TMNT Shellraiser. Fury 325.

Postby YoshiFan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 am

I have been trying to look at the park as a water park with some other rides thrown in (even though the ride side is a full size park) and that's how most of my trips this year have been only visiting twice without Wildwater Kingdom open. I spend 75% of my time at the water park and water rides on the ride side and then take a quick lap around the park riding each coaster except Stinger and Woodstock Express once (or sometimes only a few coasters), a couple of flats and leave. Even with 11 trips this year, I am not up to double digit rode counts on most of the coasters.

On Friday, I was driving by the park and stopped in for an hour and 40 minutes which was enough time for 9 rides and dinner using the dining pass. If I had more time, I would have gone for some re-rides but felt like it wasn't that necessary. On the other hand, when visiting Hersheypark or Great Adventure, I rarely feel like I am ready to leave and want to stay even after a 6 - 8 hour trip to one of those parks.

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

Postby alilstronger » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am

boldikus wrote:

Yes. That holding brake was one of the best parts of one of the best rides in the park. Will it not working cause me to stop going to Dorney? Absolutely not. But I loved that holding brake.

coasterbill wrote:

... lol wtf?

:nina: :nina: :nina: I mean really.

Could not agree more! I actually really enjoy this park, shall I even dare to say I like it more than Busch Gardens....

It is all a matter of opinion and I think once a majority of the enthusiast community makes a decision everyone else kinda just follows in the same foot steps.

My home park is Six Flags America and its the same exact with this park. Every hates on it but its a decent park.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby coasterbill » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 am

alilstronger wrote:shall I even dare to say I like it more than Busch Gardens....

I like Dorney and all but... :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am

alilstronger wrote:Could not agree more! I actually really enjoy this park, shall I even dare to say I like it more than Busch Gardens....

IMO, Dorney's a very underrated park, but...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!