Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 486: Dorney begins to open July 8!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby SteelForceless » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:00 pm

SkyToro wrote:This is the last year for All Wheel Sports. The announcement comes 1 day before the 2017 announcement... could we be seeing a dark ride?

I'd guess sometime within the next 2/3 years, although if they come out tomorrow and say we are getting a dark ride of sorts, that'd be great as well. We have zero dark rides here at Dorney, unless you count falling asleep on Hydra.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby rwk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Dorney used to have dark rides but they were all removed. Bucket O' Blood burned down Sept. 28, 1983, Musik Express went in its spot in 1984, Journey to the Center of the Earth was razed after 1992, and Meteorite PTC cuddle up formerly Iceberg until 1989 was removed after 1993 for Patio Pizza which is now the barbecue smokehouse. It would be nice for Dorney to get a new dark ride that operates in the spring and summer. Such as a Boo Blasters on Boo Hill like the two Kings parks have, or it could be one of those Triotech rides they're talking about. It seems Cedar Fair has gone in a different direction since Matt Ouimet took over as CEO. Cedar Fair is now willing to have themed indoor rides in its parks. Of course, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, the former Paramount Parks have had newer dark rides for a while now, Flight of Fear indoor coasters, and Boo Blasters rides. Kings Dominion had a ride called Haunted River it was like Journey to the Center of the Earth and it had a lift and drop at the end, it was closed in 1995 though with Smurf Mountain for Volcano the Blast Coaster which opened 1998 in the old mountain. Kings Dominion in the 90's under Paramount was like Dorney Park under Cedar Fair. They removed/closed dark rides, and some other rides probably in the name of safety or some other reason. Cedar Point had an old dark ride from Freedomland in Bronx, NY called Pirate Ride that they got in the 60's but it closed after 1996 for some reason. It was an old electric rail ride with different rooms and scenes like Bucket O' Blood. The cars were shaped like boats. It was replaced with an arcade on the loading platform in 1997, with the interior used for storage. Now, it is used for a Boo Hill walk-through attraction for Halloweekends. Yeah, CP still has a Boo Hill and Halloweekends name long after Dorney got rid of theirs. DP got the Haunt name in 2008, and retired Boo/Kill Hill for Mansion House Hotel for 2010. I'm looking forward to the 2017 announcements tomorrow and the names of the two new indoor haunt mazes replacing Desolation and Asylum. I know Desolation is going to be a Blood on the Bayou.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SteelForceless » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:05 pm

For tomorrow's annoucement: Since they are doing it before park opening, is there going to be a stream, or should I just come to TPR at 9:30 and be disappointed there?

I know they're not getting anything big, I've accepted that, but I'm still hoping on a thrilling flat ride or something.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby CoasterTony » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:27 pm

There will be an unveiling of the new attractions at 9:45 tomorrow.
image.jpg
I might be young, but I still know a lot about roller coasters!
Coaster Count: 151
Home Parks: Dorney Park and Six Flags Great Adventure

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby talon2017 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:43 pm

they are hyping it up alot hopefully is something big but then again its dorney

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm going with crappy bumper cars. They won't shut up about bumper cars on Facebook and some modern, terrible bumper cars would fit the Dorney mold perfectly.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Mr. Corn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:57 pm

coasterbill wrote:I'm going with crappy bumper cars. They won't shut up about bumper cars on Facebook and some modern, terrible bumper cars would fit the Dorney mold perfectly.

Hopefully they put objects on the field cuz its hard to bump people when 1 person will be on the ride. Maybe if its a super crowded day 2, maybe even 3!!! :lmao:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Physical » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:10 pm

coasterbill wrote:I'm going with crappy bumper cars. They won't shut up about bumper cars on Facebook and some modern, terrible bumper cars would fit the Dorney mold perfectly.

My bets on 3 "classic" flats. Going with Bumper Cars, (New models that will undoubtedly suck) either in Hangtimes old spot or Chance Carousels old spot. A Troika, and one other classic flat, but I'm not sure what. Can't recall the rides Cedar Fair picked up towards the end of last season.
Former Dorney Park ride operator - 2015 season - Demon Drop | Card carrying member of Flyers Addicts Anonymous
Steel: 102, Wood: 33, Total: 135, Parks: 17, Favorite Park: Knoebels
Love List: (Steel) Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Maverick, Afterburn | (Wood) Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Lightning Rod, El Toro, Thunderhead | (Flats) Flyers, Power Surge, Top Spin

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:12 am

Physical wrote:

My bets on 3 "classic" flats. Going with Bumper Cars, (New models that will undoubtedly suck) either in Hangtimes old spot or Chance Carousels old spot. A Troika, and one other classic flat, but I'm not sure what. Can't recall the rides Cedar Fair picked up towards the end of last season.

I doubt Dorney Park would be receiving any vintage/retro flat rides that were found in Europe as they only found seven and they're headed to Carowinds and Worlds of Fun. The seven rides consisted of two Huss Troikas, a Huss Condor, a Mack Musik Express, a Zierer Wave Swinger, a Huss Break Dance, and a Mondial Top Scan. A Troika, the Musik Express, the Top Scan, Wave Swinger, and Break Dance will be headed to Carowinds. The other Troika and the Condor are headed to Worlds of Fun. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 am

^ Do you work for Cedar Fair and know to be fact that they have yet to buy any other classic flats? I'm not saying you're wrong but the park announced they were in the market for classic flats from Europe and that they had picked up a handful. Whose to say they haven't bought more that we don't know about? Just a thought.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!