Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby Physical » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:24 pm

coasterbill wrote:Hey so I saw the 39 degree forecast and Ima let you finish but any chance Thunder Creek Mountain will be open Saturday? This is a completely serious question.

We're still debating between SFNE and Dorney on Saturday. With low temps and short staffing potentially closing 2 of the best rides at Dorney we might have to bite the bullet and head up to SFNE but I'm looking for any excuse to go to another park instead. Lol

Thunder Creek Mountain is closed for the season. Same with White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.
Former Dorney Park ride operator - 2015 season - Demon Drop | Card carrying member of Flyers Addicts Anonymous
Steel: 102, Wood: 33, Total: 135, Parks: 17, Favorite Park: Knoebels
Love List: (Steel) Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Maverick, Afterburn | (Wood) Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Lightning Rod, El Toro, Thunderhead | (Flats) Flyers, Power Surge, Top Spin

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Lol understandable but it was worth asking. I'd never be caught dead riding those other 2 anyway without a bathing suit but I'm still a big White Water Landing fan since I'm a bit of an a**hole and whoever positioned the purple water gun is clearly a bit of an a**hole too so we have way too much fun with that thing.

They turn the WWL area into a maze don't they?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Physical » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

coasterbill wrote:Lol understandable but it was worth asking. I'd never be caught dead riding those other 2 anyway without a bathing suit but I'm still a big White Water Landing fan since I'm a bit of an a**hole and whoever positioned the purple water gun is clearly a bit of an a**hole too so we have way too much fun with that thing.

They turn the WWL area into a maze don't they?

Yeah, under the tower. It's called Desolation.

I used to enjoy White Water Landing but they installed trim brakes on it this season. The splash used to reach the midway, and if the breeze was right, you'd get misted on the Waveswinger. Now if the breeze is right, it /just/ hits the midway.
Former Dorney Park ride operator - 2015 season - Demon Drop | Card carrying member of Flyers Addicts Anonymous
Love List: (Steel) Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Maverick, Afterburn | (Wood) Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Lightning Rod, El Toro, Thunderhead | (Flats) Flyers, Power Surge, Top Spin

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Physical wrote:Thunder Creek Mountain is closed for the season. Same with White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

I'm not saying you are wrong because obviously you work there and all but according to the website Thunder Creek Mountain's status is "Fall Operating Hours: Saturdays & Sundays during daytime operation only. Weather permitting. "

I know it was open during the day when we were there for Haunt last year but that was earlier in the season, in late September. Speaking of which, did Dorney shorten their Haunt this year by a couple of weeks? We went the last weekend in September last year but according to their operating calender Haunt is only 3 weekends this year?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Physical » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:43 pm

boldikus wrote:
Physical wrote:Thunder Creek Mountain is closed for the season. Same with White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

I'm not saying you are wrong because obviously you work there and all but according to the website Thunder Creek Mountain's status is "Fall Operating Hours: Saturdays & Sundays during daytime operation only. Weather permitting. "

I know it was open during the day when we were there for Haunt last year but that was earlier in the season, in late September. Speaking of which, did Dorney shorten their Haunt this year by a couple of weeks? We went the last weekend in September last year but according to their operating calender Haunt is only 3 weekends this year?

It was closed the first week of October this season, I'd be impressed if the ops team tells us to open it, consider all the boats are in the storage area, in various stages of disassembly, the lift belts are removed, and the lower and upper flumes have been drained and winterized. :p

I'm not sure about haunt being shortened though, if the operating calendar says it's shorter this season, then it probably is. I know our operations day is November 1st. I don't recall when haunt started though.

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:58 pm

^ :nina:

I remember being shocked that TCM was open last year, the night we were there was fairly chilly. But its understandable that its already down for the year. Looks like no flume for you, Billy.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:06 pm

boldikus wrote:^ :nina:
Looks like no flume for you, Billy.

Pfft that's okay, the next weekend we're going to Tampa for a wedding so I'll be getting my Stanley Falls swag on. I won't be denied my Log Flume rides just because of some trivial bullsh*t like the fact that it's October and water freezes at 32 degrees. ;)

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Haha! Totally jealous, sounds like we might finally get to Tampa in March. BGT is like unreasonably high on my park bucketlist. Just have to convince the other half to take her Mom up on an offer to stay @ her place in Sarasota for a long weekend.

Postby boldikus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:01 am

Any recommendations from employees/regulars on the better/best Haunt trails this year? As I said we'll mostly stick to the coasters & flats (and inevitably the scare zones), but we might have the itch to pop into a trail.

(Sorry for the double post)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby woolandmammoth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 am

In my opinion, the best trails were Desolation and Cornstalkers. I think this is a rather popular opinion because the lines for these were nearly twice as long as the rest of the trails. The Wax Museum is really good as well if your into weirder style trails.

All of them are good, some are better than others. I thought that Gravewalkers and Trick or Treat were the weakest. If pressed for time, those are the ones that I would skip. The only trail I did not get to experience was the asylum because the line was crazy and since I live right by GADV, asylum trails are old news.

The good news is that the lines for the coasters were much shorter than those of the trails. Hydra and Talon were walk-ons all night.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!