Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 am

On the Science Channel I watched a show called "Building Giants" that featured the construction of The Yukon Striker. Very interesting! I guess being on TV means you're famous now! :)

( At a nightclub when comedian Don Rickles :x pulls a member from the audience :omg: to join him on stage )

:x "Have you seen me before?"
:omg: "I've seen you on TV."
:x "Honest to God, you got a set?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the help! It's been a fun, relaxing half day at the park today. Absolutely crazy-go-nuts busy, but that's to he expected here on a Saturday. That's why this was our pass processing day, and "bonus" day at the park. Tomorrow, we'll be here all day, and have FL+, so we'll really "do the park" tomorrow.

We got here at 4, and managed to circle the park, I drank a beer while we checked it out, then made Wonder Mountain Guardian our first ride! It was our first time on it, and I thought it was fun, primarily for the backwards down the drop experience, and then the ending, of course. We then got in Dragon Fyre, Wylde Night Mares, and Vortex, before getting in line for Leviathan. We also chilled and ate a little while rain blew through. All in all, not a bad score on a busy day like today!

So, we're presently in line for Leviathan, as we get our first ride on it for our last ride of the night. What do you guys think is the best place to sit on this beast? We have at least 20 minutes still, before getting on if you reply quick! :lol:

Thanks again for all the tips, and I'll be posting a picture TR when I'm back home next week. Until then, here's a shot I took that I liked!
20190907_174454.jpg

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BLEO » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:58 pm

DILinator wrote:Thanks for all the help! It's been a fun, relaxing half day at the park today. Absolutely crazy-go-nuts busy, but that's to he expected here on a Saturday. That's why this was our pass processing day, and "bonus" day at the park. Tomorrow, we'll be here all day, and have FL+, so we'll really "do the park" tomorrow.

We got here at 4, and managed to circle the park, I drank a beer while we checked it out, then made Wonder Mountain Guardian our first ride! It was our first time on it, and I thought it was fun, primarily for the backwards down the drop experience, and then the ending, of course. We then got in Dragon Fyre, Wylde Night Mares, and Vortex, before getting in line for Leviathan. We also chilled and ate a little while rain blew through. All in all, not a bad score on a busy day like today!

So, we're presently in line for Leviathan, as we get our first ride on it for our last ride of the night. What do you guys think is the best place to sit on this beast? We have at least 20 minutes still, before getting on if you reply quick! :lol:

Thanks again for all the tips, and I'll be posting a picture TR when I'm back home next week. Until then, here's a shot I took that I liked!

The back is best for that drop, speed hill, and first giant hill over the entrance.

Postby DILinator » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm

BLEO wrote:The back is best for that drop, speed hill, and first giant hill over the entrance.

Thanks for the heads-up! We'll try to get back row! Almost there!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Doppel Looping » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 am

I also like back of the bus on Leviathan!

Check out 4 th train second row on Behemoth. You get nice floater air over all of the hills, it is great! Back of bus is nice too especially for the turnaround. Same for Vortex.

Since you seem to like Fury, how would you compare fury to Leviathan?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Izorro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Looking for some help regarding seasons passes:

I noticed passes for next year are on discount currently. My friend and I are both getting them, but are wondering about the monthly payment method. How exactly does it work? - and are there any extra hidden fees it doesn't mention on the website? Because per the website math, the amount per month matches exactly to as if you paid it outright.

Postby DILinator » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 am

^There is a processing fee you're charged in the initial payment, along with that first month's fee. After that, it's just the monthly amount, which they'll automatically take out the same day every month, based on whenever you bought the pass on the payment plan. I'm doing that from CW myself!

I'm too tired right now to do a full TR with pictures and everything, but I do plan on doing something along those lines over the next week from my trip to CW over the weekend with my kids! However, here are a few thoughts off the top of my head about the park, from my trip...

-CW is an interesting park to me, in that most of its coasters range from "Meh" to "AWFUL!" to me, but it's still an amazing park, thanks to its natural beauty, awesome collection of flats, and of course, that Top 3 Trinity of B&M Greatness! Seriously, my kids and I, particularly my oldest who is the most "enthusiast" of them, had the hardest time deciding how we ranked those three coasters against each other! They are all awesome! Not quite SV, Maverick, and MF awesome, in my opinion, but definitely not far behind as far as we were concerned! They definitely make a trip to the park worth it all by themselves, but the great flat collection, and the other fun coasters like Vortex and Thunder Run (my son said it should've been called "Wonder Run", and I agree!) are just icing on the cake!

-Yukon Striker was the most surprising coaster experience for us. We all like Valravn, and ShieKra, the other Dive Coasters we've ridden, so we were expecting to like Yukon Striker the best. However, it just took our breath away, and blew us away from our first ride, and distanced itself in a major way from the other Dive Coasters! It's a world class coaster, period, not just a world class Dive Coaster! Bravo to CW and B&M for collaborating on a fantastic coaster, with a perfect design for the park that it's in! My oldest has it in his Top 10 coasters, and he's ridden over 120 now, so that's pretty impressive!

-Leviathan is often regarded as the "worst" Giga, and it was the last of the North American Gigas that we got on. But it is in NO WAY an inferior ride! While Fury is a very tough act to live up to, Leviathan absolutely compares favorably to Millennium Force in my opinion, and is absolutely an elite, world class coaster! Anybody concerned about Orion need not be, as the stats on that are similar to Leviathan, and it appears to have even better elements in its layout. Plus, as YS proved once again, B&M is really stepping up the intensity and variety of their elements, and I have no doubt Orion will follow that trend. But getting back to Leviathan, it was absolutely fantastic, and after much deliberation, and going back and forth on it, both myself, and my oldest son regarded it as our favorite coaster at the park, narrowly edging out Behemoth!

-As for Behemoth, it was already highly regarded by me, but this trip absolutely reinforced it as my best of the best B&M Hypers, narrowly edging out Mako, which I had put above it last year due to recency bias, but I'd forgotten just how great Behemoth's layout was, particularly that fantastic finale! It's interesting to me that this coaster was the first of the three CF B&M Hypers, yet it seems to have the best layout and elements, at least in my opinion. My oldest son still prefers Diamondback to it, but I think the ending of Behemoth gives it the edge, in my opinion.

-The flats. Awesome, as advertised! Our favorite was definitely Wilde Knight Mares! We rode it three times, and could have ridden it a bunch more! So much fun, not much of a wait ever, and that classic flat ride experience that the newer flats just can't give. Sledgehammer was also a big favorite of ours, even though it Rocky Balboa'd me a couple of times to the side of the head! It's a shame there aren't more of these out there, because it really is a fun flat ride. Our third favorite flat, was the fun Skyhawk. My oldest didn't want to flip any, and my younger two kids weren't able to get any flips. I got 2, and really had to work for them! I did get a ton of hangtime though, and it was a standout flat to me as well! I would love to see more of these added to other parks (MIA, anyone???). On the other end of the spectrum, Shockwave was a let down. I'd ridden Electro-Spin at Carowinds, and though it had a MUCH better ride cycle! Maybe it's all about the weight of the people in the arm, but we only completed one complete flip, which was a much different experience to my ride on Electro-Spin. So perhaps it does give great rides too, but riding with four other kids (two of my own, and two others) probably didn't do it any favors.

-I have a new LEAST FAVORITE COASTER! Just when I thought Green Lantern was the worst currently operating (sort of) coaster, and when I thought Great American Scream Machine at GAdv was my worst coaster experience of all time, Wilde Beast comes along, and literally made me want to get off desperately before it was even half over. Seriously, I have never had such an awful, and negative experience on a coaster in my nearly 40 years of riding, and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody other than my worst enemies. :devil: I am not trying to be over-dramatic, or speak in hyperbole here, but I actually was in misery riding it, and when I hit the brake run, I told my son (who also hated it - all my kids did) that I don't know how they consider that coaster safe to run, and put actual human beings on. It was THAT BAD of an experience to me! Son of Beast? MUCH better! At least the first half was decent, and the loop was fun. Wilde Beast was like that last part of SoB, but stretched out to the entire ride. I would liken my experience to putting rocks in a box, and shaking it violently (and my body is the rocks!) They can't RMC, or even just burn to the ground (please let me light that match!) this coaster soon enough in my opinion! Yikes! For the record, I did ride this at least twice before, and don't even remember it much, positively or negatively. But the last time was 11 years ago, and I must say, it must have aged VERY badly since then!

-The last thing I'm going to mention, is the crowds. I'm NOT a big fan of the Fast Lane system, but I must say, I think that FL+ is pretty much a necessity at this park during most days. We went on an overcast and chilly Sunday in September, and the park looked like a Disney Park at times. It was even more crowded on Saturday, when we popped in to activate our passes, and spend four hours in the park. So while I may not like the FL system as a general rule, it was definitely a necessary evil for us this trip, and I was very grateful to have the free ones we got for getting our Platinum Passes. We all definitely felt spoiled, and I was glad to be able to give my kids that fun experience, and we were able to ride tons more than we would have otherwise (back to back to back walk-ons of Leviathan at one point!) I just told them not to get used to it! :lol:

I know that was already long enough, but I had a lot of thoughts, and probably have more as well, but I can share anything else whenever I do the TR and pictures. Bottom line is that it was an awesome trip, made even more awesome thanks to FL+, and CW definitely should be proud of their B&M Trio, even if both of their Wooden coasters need to go the way of the dinosaurs (Minebuster didn't seem too bad honestly, after Wilde Beast - but it didn't seem good, either!) This is definitely one of the premier CF parks, and while it's delivered a good time every time I've gone (2006 as Paramount, 2008, Behemoth's first year), this is definitely the best the park's ever been! I didn't even see any line jumping, which was an epidemic the last time I was there. So two thumbs up from me and my kids, and hopefully I'm back sooner than 11 years next time! =)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 am

Nice write up! I think what makes Behemoth so good is the lack of a brake run in the middle of the ride or a million trim brakes. The other Cedar Fair B&M hypers have this issue and it kills the pacing.

I actually don't mind Wilde Beast, but Emily hated every second of it. Of the two big woodies, I find Minebuster worse to be honest.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks for the write up, DILinator! It sounds like you had an amazing time despite the crowds!

As for Wilde Beast, I find the best place to ride it is in the front row of the second car. That row seems to provide the most comfortable ride on it, especially if you brace yourself. While the park did retrack a great percentage of the coaster during the 2014/2015 and the 2015/2016 off-seasons, some parts of the track have become quite rough since. Maybe one day Wilde Beast will receive another retracking that will last longer. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby thirstydeer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 pm

DILinator wrote:^There is a processing fee you're charged in the initial payment, along with that first month's fee. After that, it's just the monthly amount, which they'll automatically take out the same day every month, based on whenever you bought the pass on the payment plan. I'm doing that from CW myself!

If you add up the payment schedule for the monthly payments it'll add up to more then if you bought it outright... not much difference but it's just like how with insurance if you choose monthly payments there is a little premium... Wonderland just doesn't identify that when you agree to it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!