Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1017 - Yukon Striker Front Seat POV Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Prof Kaos » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:27 pm

coasterbill wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a thread this amazingly dead in the months leading up to a new 200+ foot coaster opening. Why isn't there more enthusiast hype for this ride? It looks great.

There's all kinds of hype and excitement for it elsewhere. It's something that non-enthusiasts in tbe area are actually talking about too.

This thread is sporadic at the best of times.
1 - Banshee 2 - Behemoth 3 - Mystic Timbers
4 - Vampire 5 - Leviathan 6 - Goliath (La Ronde)
7 - Diamondback 8 - Vortex (CW)
9 - The Beast 10 - Flight of Fear

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm

RollerManic wrote:This is one of those rare occasions where for some [whatever] reason, I just really don’t care about this ride. I’m sure it’ll be great fun, but I really just can’t get excited about it.

I’m also pretty tired of seeing vest restraints on dive coasters. I’m am enthusiast who actually prefers vest restraints on positive-g focused rides (no complaints about discomfort) but I feel that vest restraints take away from the thrill factor of the first drop - which is the highlight of these coasters, IMO.

Thankfully, there is still a whole lot of developments at other parks for me to be excited about this year.

This literally sums up how I feel about this coaster.

I’m not overly impressed by the addition of it. I’m not saying it’s going to be a bad ride. Hell, I’m sure I’ll even enjoy... but I’m not like “OMG!!! I’m so glad they are building this!!”

I’m so sick of vest restraints. Being 6’4” the vest restraints really dig into my collarbone and make the ride VERY uncomfortable... and the vest restraints REALLY kill the sensation of the first drop on a Dive Coaster.

But yes, there are tons of other coasters to be excited for!!!

All in all.... I’m not like “OMG!!! Must go ride Yukon Striker tomorrow!!” It’s more along the lines of “Ehhh... if we have the chance to visit the park I’d like to ride it... but it’s not worth going out of the way for.”
Bigger is not always better.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Phant0mF1re » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 am

Eh, I'm actually pretty excited about this. Only dive coaster I've been on is Valravn, and only in the last 3 years have my girlfriend and I been venturing outside of Cedar Point for our yearly coaster vacation. We actually decided to choose between Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds this year (we went to KD before CP last year) and decided on CW, mainly because of the 1-2 punch of Leviathan and Yukon Striker. Drops are my favorite element on coasters, and i'm pretty sure I rate Valravn much higher than most enthusiasts. So yeah, I'm pumped, and it's basically the reason we are driving from Pittsburgh to Canada this year.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PATTYCAKES » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 am

Phant0mF1re wrote:Eh, I'm actually pretty excited about this. Only dive coaster I've been on is Valravn, and only in the last 3 years have my girlfriend and I been venturing outside of Cedar Point for our yearly coaster vacation. We actually decided to choose between Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds this year (we went to KD before CP last year) and decided on CW, mainly because of the 1-2 punch of Leviathan and Yukon Striker. Drops are my favorite element on coasters, and i'm pretty sure I rate Valravn much higher than most enthusiasts. So yeah, I'm pumped, and it's basically the reason we are driving from Pittsburgh to Canada this year.

If you have been on Valravn, then you have already been on Yukon Striker. Exactly the same coaster, just a bit higher drop and a small difference in layout. Basically sister coasters, IMO.
:mickey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLUwSMNShh8

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:51 am

Prof Kaos wrote:
coasterbill wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a thread this amazingly dead in the months leading up to a new 200+ foot coaster opening. Why isn't there more enthusiast hype for this ride? It looks great.

There's all kinds of hype and excitement for it elsewhere. It's something that non-enthusiasts in tbe area are actually talking about too.

This thread is sporadic at the best of times.

A few of my friends in the Boston area have shared stories about the ride to my Facebook page. It's definitely making waves with non-enthusiasts.

My issue with dive coasters are the ones that are one trick ponies but this one looks like it gives a full ride.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Johnlloyd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:08 am

PATTYCAKES wrote:
Phant0mF1re wrote:Eh, I'm actually pretty excited about this. Only dive coaster I've been on is Valravn, and only in the last 3 years have my girlfriend and I been venturing outside of Cedar Point for our yearly coaster vacation. We actually decided to choose between Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds this year (we went to KD before CP last year) and decided on CW, mainly because of the 1-2 punch of Leviathan and Yukon Striker. Drops are my favorite element on coasters, and i'm pretty sure I rate Valravn much higher than most enthusiasts. So yeah, I'm pumped, and it's basically the reason we are driving from Pittsburgh to Canada this year.

If you have been on Valravn, then you have already been on Yukon Striker. Exactly the same coaster, just a bit higher drop and a small difference in layout. Basically sister coasters, IMO.

When comparing the layouts of both Valravn and Yukon Striker, there is a significant difference between the two. Yes, both are Dive Coasters and feature an initial height of 223 feet and use an Immelmann as the first inversion. But besides that, they're quite different as Yukon Striker features an underwater tunnel at the bottom of the first drop, a total of four inversions (including a vertical loop), and doesn't feature a mid-course brake run until after all the inversions. Also, the layout of Yukon Striker appears to stretch out more than Valravn. I also like it how they made Yukon Striker interact with the other rides, which will hopefully make it more thrilling.

On another note, while I am not a fan of the vest restraints, I do look forward to giving Yukon Striker a ride in less than one month's time. Yukon Striker has definitely gained a significant amount of publicity not only here in Canada, but Worldwide. So, I am sure the park will be very busy this season and will quite possibly break the four million visitors mark because of the addition of Yukon Striker. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby WolfBobs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am

PATTYCAKES wrote:If you have been on Valravn, then you have already been on Yukon Striker. Exactly the same coaster, just a bit higher drop and a small difference in layout. Basically sister coasters, IMO.

Yeah, no. These coasters are pretty different after the first inversion.

I'm pretty pumped for this ride tbh. I've been on 4 Dive Coasters and I have loved each one. I'm returning to CW this year for Yukon Striker. Really looking forward to it.

Edit: Now that I watched the video from the link you posted, not really sure how you'd say they are "exactly the same coaster..." Valravn was in the midcourse before Yukon Striker completed it's second inversion. They're very different layouts.
Last edited by WolfBobs on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Phant0mF1re » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 am

^^^^ Regarding the similarities between the two, I mean, yeah, they are both B&M dive coasters with a loop after the dive. Other than that, they seem pretty different to me. To be honest, I almost thought you were joking when I watched the video you posted after the initial drop/loop sequence.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm

I would surmise that the main reason why Dive coasters can't do much after the first drop is the relatively short train length. They can't carry inertia/momentum in the same way a floorless, standard looping, invert, wing etc. can.

Whereas Euro fighters and the sort have much more compact layouts to compensate for this.

Regardless, I like to say... is it all that bad being a one/two trick pony, if those 1-2 tricks are... pretty awesome?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

I also think it looks like s much more complete ride compared to other dives. I think it's gonna be pretty good.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!