Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1472: The Bourne Stuntacular coming Spring 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rastuso » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:55 am

Yeah, that's about all I got too. Hey, I love Disney, but they just don't build the massive E-tickets in the US anymore. Cars has the potential.

I really don't understand what folks thought HP was going to be. All the big parks in Orlando are mostly shops. And I don't think teh HP shops are going to be generic shops.

Marvel Superhero Island is mostly shops and restaurants. But they have Spidey and a great coaster too. No one complains about that.

-RO

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 am

Rastuso wrote:Yeah, that's about all I got too. Hey, I love Disney, but they just don't build the massive E-tickets in the US anymore. Cars has the potential.

Massive E-tickets? Or massive E-tickets that you enjoy?

Yes, they struck out with MS, but I'd still consider it in the "E-ticket" category. Same with Everest. Most of us acknowledge it to be a tame, family coaster. But, by definition, I'd still consider it a pretty big "E-ticket" attraction.

Or maybe I'm just behind the times, and the definition of "E-ticket" has dramatically changed? To each his own perhaps.

Marvel Superhero Island is mostly shops and restaurants. But they have Spidey and a great coaster too. No one complains about that.

True, but I think where some of us are discouraged is that Potterburg is really just a new ride, two re-themes, and a shopping mall. If it was a brand new "island" then eh, whatever. But some of us enjoyed the only non-corporate "island" the way it was. With all that said, the new ride could still turn out to be jawdropping. We'll see.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Wathell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:43 am

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Wathell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 am

Park Map (Scroll Down)

http://uoteam.com/UNews091409.pdf

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rastuso » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 am

I would consider Everest and Space E-tickets, but they just didn't have the wow of a true E-ticket. Especially when Everest's big item, the Yeti, is dead most of the time. When I rode it, he was working, and was quite impressive. It's a great ride, but as I said, it's just not $100 million great.

As for Potter not being a new island. It is. MSH Island is Spidey, Hulk, Dr. Doom and restaurants and shops. Cartoon Lagoon is two awesome water rides and shops and restaurants. Jurassic Park is one awesome ride, a small coaster, and shops and restaurants.

And I still think MagiQuest will be a big part of HP land.

So, I don't understand what folks wanted. Universal spends big bucks on leading edge rides. I go to a theme park for a ride that blows me away with a unique experience. I go to Six Flags for a bunch of fun rides.

A bunch of little rides, and some games could have been added, I guess. BUt if the big HP ride delivers, every kid that visits will tell their classmates about the ride where they helped Harry defeat Voldemort by flying through Hogwarts on a broom (or whatever the ride is). Nothing else will matter.

-RO

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:47 am

Well, to this point, the only thing I'm intrigued by is the snow they're gonna produce to blanket the buildings (that is still in the plans, isn't it?). Maybe the rest will prove me wrong. I can hope.

And I still think MagiQuest will be a big part of HP land.

Yeah, I suppose this will have something to do with that:

Ollivanders wand shop is an incredible interactive experience where the wand chooses the wizard

And judging by Electerik's Pigeon Forge coverage, there is potential there, I guess.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 am

Rastuso wrote:Mummy - both of them are great and unique. My 65 year-old mother-in-law loved USH's.

Can't say I agree there. I like the USF version, the USH just isn't up to the same level.

Rastuso wrote:Simpsons - haven't ridden yet, but it was reusing an existing ride. Speaking of, BTTF was the pinnacle of motion base rides, too.

If you haven't riden it, I wouldn't put it up for any comparison. It's, um, not good.

Rastuso wrote:Disney, however, does stuff like Everest, that is good, but you really scratch your head to figure out how the hell it cost $100 million. Hell, the Yeti doesn't even work any more.

Same for Space, tons of cash, and it doesn't come close to the appeal of any of Uni's big rides.

Yeti is up and working again, just a FYI. He's the most complex AA ever created so, I'd say a large chunk of cash went in to him more than anything. I don't think you can't say that the EE queue is one of the most impressive ever created. It really draws you into the story, if you have time to look at all the eye candy.

I'm not even going to argue about M:S. I hate it, and that it took Horizons place makes my heart ache.

I'm a Disney fanboy, but I enjoy Universal. I'm just not all that impressed with the Potter stuff. Then again, I haven't read one book or seen one of the movies, and I'd imagine there's a lot more just like me out there. That being said, I still think it'll bring in the crowds because of it's mass appeal to the younger/ish kids, and early adults that grew up reading the books.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby chemical_echo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:58 am

I honestly can't wait to see this completed and for more details about the Forbidden Journey to come out.

What I'm really curious about is how a wand will choose a wizard in Olivander's. It's a great way to get parent's to buy a wand for their kids..."But mom, the wand picked ME! It's my wand!"

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 am

The artwork is impressive. I am also looking forward to seeing how the Journey ride turns out. I think the wand shop is Magic Quest is it not? So in theory, kids will run around with their loose article upcharge item and interact with props scattered around HP land. That could be pretty cool depending on the execution.

And with two films still due out next year, perfect timing for Universal.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Director_Guy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 am

chemical_echo wrote:I honestly can't wait to see this completed and for more details about the Forbidden Journey to come out.

What I'm really curious about is how a wand will choose a wizard in Olivander's. It's a great way to get parent's to buy a wand for their kids..."But mom, the wand picked ME! It's my wand!"

That's the first thing that I thought too!

Honestly, admitting how much of a nerd I am, I recently started reading the books and I absolutely see the appeal in the franchise, not to mention an entire (is)land. As far as the dark ride goes, it could be themed to "Joe's Apartment" for all I care as long as it's cool.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!