Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1468 - Halloween Horror Nights 29 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm

During this week's visit to Universal Orlando, I had the chance to grab some closer photographs of the Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit as it looks in its almost-completed state. Plenty of work is still ongoing around the ride, but much of the final product is beginning to take form.
IMGP1434.JPG
Landscaping around the Citywalk/Blue Man Group portion of the ride has begun.
IMGP1436.JPG
The original Blue Man Group Citywalk path has been slightly redirected to allow for construction of the fenced pathway that will surround the ride's tilted helix.
IMGP1437.JPG
I don't know why, but I always find this element to be so photogenic!
IMGP1438.JPG
The ride's lift and non-inverting loop loom over the park's airspace.
IMGP1439.JPG
This area seems to be nearing completion...
IMGP1445.JPG
IMGP1446.JPG
Workers crowd around the ride's car, tinkering with various parts and pieces...
IMGP1448.JPG
The ride's station is visible from the new Music Plaza, teasing guests of what is to come.
IMGP1449.JPG
What a beauty!
IMGP1450.JPG
95 degrees!!!
IMGP1451.JPG
These shots are all-too-easy...
IMGP1454.JPG
See what I mean?
IMGP1457.JPG
The production facilities entrance has been cleared of most construction walls and work.
IMGP1458.JPG
I dub thee, "Majestic!"
IMGP1459.JPG
The Ghostbuster's office has been busted thru...
IMGP1460.JPG
I think there are a couple hundred pictures around the net, just like this.
IMGP1462.JPG
A look at the tall section of the ride, free of buildings.
IMGP1463.JPG
I always thought the Guggenheim could use a coaster of its own!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:07 pm

ahaha! tee hee...it still says spring... :)

great pic update! looks great! and thanks for that video update! can't wait til july!!!!!!!

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby rydrmr9 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Someone said they wanted to see a pov vid so here it is. (animated of couse) lol :lolr:
Even though most of you guys have already seen this!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Botohead » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 pm

UO has removed the top 2 track sections from the lift hill today. Anyone know what's up?

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Vondroff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm

^^^^^^^Lets hope thats a rumor. :roll:

-The ride itself looks great, reasonably long layout. Whens those ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings around the lift going up? Forgive me if it has been said I havent browsed this topic recently. Also, does anyone know what they are for? Or just for show?

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Postby Mr. Starr » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Botohead wrote:UO has removed the top 2 track sections from the lift hill today. Anyone know what's up?

Most likely to add the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings.

(Or the heartline roll) :P

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Vondroff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Mr. Starr wrote:
Botohead wrote:UO has removed the top 2 track sections from the lift hill today. Anyone know what's up?

Most likely to add the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings.

(Or the heartline roll) :P

^^It's back baby!
But why would they remove TRACK to add ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings? Took forever to get those pieces on pleaseeeee don't take them off!!!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Snicket » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Part of the lift is indeed missing, and a new piece was said to have been spotted in the construction area with new safety features.

Rumor is that they may have been waiting for this new piece of track for a while and they went ahead and installed another piece they had without those extra safety features so they could test it.

That rumor, however, doesn't make sense.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
An insider over at IOACentral had some info:

It does not have the anti roll backs installed yet which is why the lift track is coming down. And the sound you are refering to at the top of the hill is the trains chain dogs releasing from the chain and you hear nothing as it goes up. Also, the reason they are pulling the lift track down to put the anti roll back pieces on is because originaly the lift was going to have a dual chain system instead of a gator back anti rollback system but for some reason they changed their mind, now the pieces for the second chain have to be removed in order to install the gator backs.

In your post you first said you can't add roll-back stops on this verticle lift hill, and then later in your post you said it has roll back stops.

All someone has to do is walk by central shops and they will see the pieces of track that have been removed so far and since it is not a restricted area you can see the anti rollback pieces sitting close by.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He also posted some pictures:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2439/img00101p.jpg
http://yfrog.com/5jimg00061jj

The original, full size pictures can be found here:
http://boards.ioacentral.com/index.php? ... start=3220

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby King_K. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Alright. Get ready for a looooot of things to read and see.

As mentioned above, yes there is a rollback problem with the top of the lift, thus the slow speed of the lift from those test videos. Apparently it'll take ten days tops to get the ride back up in running. Landscaping is in full force and so is painting.

Here's the lift as of today and look at that sunny Florida weather!:

Here's a new picture of the train from the Press Release and yes the LED's are on in the photo:

Here are the LED's:

Here's a Press Release from Universal.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit: Where High Tech Meets Hard Rock.
New Universal Coaster Uses Extreme Technology to Create Extreme Ride Experience

ORLANDO, FL (June 2009) - Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is a high-speed rush of first-ever maneuvers, hit music and specially created take-home videos starring each rider. These experiences have never been brought together on a coaster before - and rely on extreme technologies being used in entirely new ways.

"This is where high-speed coaster meets outdoor mega-concert meets user-generated content - all shot on production-quality video," said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. "No one has ever created such a sophisticated ride experience. And no one has ever used technology the way we have to pull it all together."

The ride vehicle is a high-performance hot rod that features a revolutionary new restraint system designed to put riders closer to the experience than ever. They pick their own music using industrial-grade touchpads that operate with the sophistication of an iPod. Songs from five genres of music will be pumped through individual sound systems that rely on all-weather speakers typically reserved for high-performance sports boats. And the network of cameras that will create the guest videos are used on high-speed trains and engineered to work in the toughest conditions.

Here is how it all comes together:

Ride Vehicle
Guests begin their adventure when they slide into the bucket seat of the specially designed X-CAR. The X-CAR's wheelbase is short enough to allow for the tight, intricate maneuvers that only Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit will deliver. The vehicle features stadium-style seating so that everyone has an unobstructed view. And there is no over-head/pull-down restraint system. Instead, a revolutionary lap bar allows for unprecedented freedom of movement.

Guest Interface Panel
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is the country's only coaster where guests can choose the soundtrack to their ride from songs representing five different genres of music. They will use a personal touchpad - or guest interface panel - mounted on the lap bar to make their selection. The panel is designed for ease of use and visibility. It is military-grade durable and waterproof. And it uses wireless servers to upload each rider's music pick.

Audio
Each seat is outfitted with Polk Audio marine-grade stereo speakers that can push out 165 watts. Guests will rock to 90 decibels of music - and yet never hear the songs playing for other riders. This sound system - typically installed on wakeboard boats - gives riders an entirely new way to experience music.

Cameras and Video
There are 14 cameras that will capture the guest experience: six on-board each ride vehicle and eight along the track. They are designed to provide production-quality footage under intense conditions. Used on high-speed trains, the digital cameras will perform at ultra-high data capture rates for up to 14 hours a day - all at variable Gs and high-speeds.

A series of lasers will trigger timing devices and computers to ensure that the rider's music and video are in sync. After the ride, each guest video is downloaded wirelessly from the ride vehicle to a viewing kiosk in 25 seconds. Guests will be able to purchase a specially edited take-home version of their experience and share it with their family and friends.

Lighting
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is the only coaster in the world with daytime LED color-changing lights. Each ride vehicle has 36 different lights that will be programmed to change color and to either be steady, strobe, twinkle, race or pulse. That means the coaster will be an ever-changing light show for those on the ground.

Ride System
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit features the country's only operating moving roller coaster load platform - meaning it uses a people-mover-style conveyer belt to get people to their vehicles so that riders and vehicles never come to a complete stop. This allows vehicles to leave the station every 23 seconds.

Power gets to each vehicle's cameras and computers via on-board capacitors that get freshly charged each time the vehicle passes through the load station - similar to how an electric subway train is powered. And finally - the brains of the system is a network of self-checking computers called Programmable Logic Controllers which constantly check the entire system and synchronize wirelessly.

Here's the piece removed today:

And here's a few views that i'm sure very few have seen:

Pictures by:
Mookie
NoelNo
JohnnyUpsidedown
&
Universal Orlando Resort®

roller91

Postby roller91 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 pm

this r some cool pic from johnnyupsidedown

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/new2009rr0.html

there go a july opening

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!