Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1444 - Hagrid's Motorbike Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:12 pm

^I've heard the same. From what I was told years ago, she wanted Dragons gone when the original Hogsmeade area of Wizarding World was in the development phase.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:41 am

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:^I've heard the same. From what I was told years ago, she wanted Dragons gone when the original Hogsmeade area of Wizarding World was in the development phase.

Yeah...and THAT kind of feels crappy, because when a park makes a decision even if we dont like it, I mean OK but that's one person, who's not even "in the industry" feels more random, like her whims basically were behind it and as Robb said its hard to imagine the park on its own making this choice, (I mean how many old crappy rides hang around surely they'd have kept Dragons) but oh well. Like I said I try not to dwell on it.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:42 am

JJLehto wrote: Yeah...and THAT kind of feels crappy, because when a park makes a decision even if we dont like it, I mean OK but that's one person, who's not even "in the industry" feels more random, like her whims basically were behind it. . .

She isn't just "one person not even in the industry", she is the saving grace behind Universal lol. Before potter, the park was basically giving away the gate. You could easily get a reservation at the big three hotels and the rates were pretty good. Pre-potter had universal selling off it's land. Post-potter brought in 5 additional hotels, a water park, more immersive areas at the parks and soon to be an entire new park. Potter has showed universal what people like and how to execute it. So, while I would personally have dragons I cannot just write J.K. Rowling off as being one person not in the industry. I'm willing to bet she gave them a time frame to develop something to replace it.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:10 am

Usually I'm not a big Twitter guy, but the back and forth between Kentucky Kingdom and Universal over the past 24 hours has been gold.

Link to Twitter
KK.JPG
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:
RollerManic wrote:And, f*ck, just put us through an airport-style X ray machine beforehand so they can duel the coasters. Anyone caught with loose articles automatically goes to the firing squad.

If guests start throwing stuff of coasters from here on out, they get a park pass to ride only the Fast & Furious ride.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 am

I also mourn the loss of Dueling Dragons, especially when it dueled. It was a great roller coaster, and surprisingly intense.
That said, I actually do understand why Universal / Rowling apparently thought it was out of place in Potter land, both thematically not quite fitting in with Potter land (although they could have done more to theme the ride area itself), and, maybe more importantly, perhaps being a bit too intense for the Potter demographic (which I am guessing is younger and more focused on theme than pure intense thrills -- just a guess here, not a Potter fan?).

I think if they are focused on wanting to create one expansive, cohesive, thematic Potter area, this was smart from a *business* perspective to have a small cluster of rides more closely connected and themed to the movie and having similar ride intensities. And then put in the Jurassic Park coaster to make sure those who want more intense thrills can get them there.

Not saying I like it, but I understand the thought process behind it.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby thepoint4life23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:41 am

The fact is that before Harry potter Universal was on the edge of going out of business/being sold again. A year of Harry potter saved the park. JK might of wanted Dueling dragons out, but we did get a few more good years with the ride. I am sad to see it go as it was an amazing coaster. I rode it a few weeks before it closed, and it still rocked. The thing i would never understand is everything around the park would be busy but dragon challenge never had a line. You could ride Red and blue in less then a half hour.

More Potter means more money leading to more none Potter attractions.

The fact they they are leaving screen based attraction behind is a win for everyone.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Chiselphane » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am

Re Hagrid's: I'm morbidly curious, the preview material suggested that one of the indoor scenes was going to smell pretty bad because of the beast (blast-ended skrewt) in there, was that noticeable at all? Given that you're being rushed through pretty quickly I'm assuming no

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

Chiselphane wrote:Re Hagrid's: I'm morbidly curious, the preview material suggested that one of the indoor scenes was going to smell pretty bad because of the beast (blast-ended skrewt) in there, was that noticeable at all? Given that you're being rushed through pretty quickly I'm assuming no

I did not notice any smells in the few rides I took.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

thepoint4life23 wrote:dragon challenge never had a line

Sure, but it also had the highest capacity of probably any ride at the park (other than maybe Forbidden Journey). I'm just guessing here but I don't think they have any other Omnimover style rides and I know they don't have any other coasters that dispatch up to 64 riders at a time. That probably explains the short lines.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!