Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1472: The Bourne Stuntacular coming Spring 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 am

I don't care who you are - if you're waiting ten hours (!!) for a roller coaster, you need to reconsider your life choices. That being said, obviously, congratulations to Universal on a successful opening!
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 am

this is why I always wait for months before riding a new ride.

X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 am

I have a question... IoA is only open until 9 pm today. I assume they’ll let anyone who’s in line by closing time ride, correct? But what happens when the line is 10 hours long before noon? The park is only open until 9. Are they going to close off the line at some point? How does it usually work with new rides?

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

From the sounds of it, Hagrid's seems a bit disappointing (theming wise) and not that much better than other regional park family coasters in recent memory.

...and ten hours is crazy. I'm assuming that this is mostly locals? I can't imagine traveling all the way to Orlando and spending almost a full day in a line for any single ride. Hell, even being a local and doing that sounds crazy.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 am

Cool, it's opened! Now we can focus on the upcoming Jurassic Park coaster :devil: :lover: Which...should be a more fitting 'replacement' for the thrill/intense coaster void, right?

I'm curious on everyone's thoughts to this:
Would you have rather seen Universal put in a Dueling Dragons-thrill level Harry Potter coaster instead of Hagrid's and then add a family thrill for the Jurassic Park coaster? Or how it's currently looking to progress with the family coaster (Hagrid) and the thrill coaster for Jurassic Park?
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby caleb.stone » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:I'm curious on everyone's thoughts to this:
Would you have rather seen Universal put in a Dueling Dragons-thrill level Harry Potter coaster instead of Hagrid's and then add a family thrill for the Jurassic Park coaster?

I assume Rowling wanted a more family vibe to the rides there.

Honestly I'm very disappointed in how this ride turned out. The immense lack of theme is just striking to me. As a Potter fan myself, and seeing how much went into Gringotts, and the Forbidden Journey, just to get a ride that has been reviewed as "being able to tell you're in a big a show building" is immensely disappointing.

On top of that Dueling Dragons: Fire was my first roller coaster, so there was some sentimentality about losing that ride. While we didn't get a thrill ride to replace it, it just feels very underwhelming. Even just looking at the cars for the trains, I just wished they'd have painted them to mimic the movie, or something of the description to the book.

I feel like this is one of those rides I'll end up passing on unless I can get a quick ride on the single rider queue (assuming it has one.)

Other than that I'm very excited for what's to come in the Jurassic Park area.
Favorite Steel: The Incredible Hulk
Favorite Wooden: Storm Chaser

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Cool, it's opened! Now we can focus on the upcoming Jurassic Park coaster :devil: :lover: Which...should be a more fitting 'replacement' for the thrill/intense coaster void, right?

I sure hope so. To be honest, I'm not holding out too much hope that it'll be as intense as we'd all like it to be, or even as intense as Dueling Dragons was. While I'd LOVE it if they built something on the level of Maverick and made up for the lack of Dragons, I see them targeting the family audience once again and making something on the level of Cheetah Hunt. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the new high bar of "thrill" Universal is willing to approach but not exceed. But again, I hope I'm wrong.

PKI Jizzman wrote:I'm curious on everyone's thoughts to this:
Would you have rather seen Universal put in a Dueling Dragons-thrill level Harry Potter coaster instead of Hagrid's and then add a family thrill for the Jurassic Park coaster? Or how it's currently looking to progress with the family coaster (Hagrid) and the thrill coaster for Jurassic Park?

That's a tough question. If Dueling Dragons were truly "at the end of their life cycle", as was Universal's talking point, I wish they'd just done the same thing as Hulk; torn down and re-built. Maybe if they'd plopped down a clone of i305 and themed it to Hagrid, I'd have been more forgiving. :lmao: But what's done is done at this point. Again, I'll love it if the Jurassic Park coaster truly amazes us and rights all wrongs, but I'm just not holding my breath. At least it's from Intamin.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am

coasterbill wrote:Can I ask a stupid question?

We're going to Universal in October and since it looks like this ride isn't on Express (though that could change but I'm not counting on it since the other Potter rides went YEARS before being on express), I actually considered staying on property to get Early Admission.

That said, it sort of looks like they don't tell you what park will even be on early admission in advance (right now I only see the schedule through June) and right now Islands isn't open early for resort guests.

The only reason I would stay at one of their hotels instead of a hotel where I could use my Choice / Marriot / Hilton or IHG points would be for that perk but is there a way to see the schedule in advance?

They don't post the EPA schedule in advance except for like 2 months out at best. I would say it's a likely thing that IOA will start having EPA due to this ride. My best advice would be:

1. Book both Universal and Points rewards hotels but make sure both are fully refundable.

2. Non-Private VIP tour will have front of the line access on this ride.

or 3. You could do a Timeshare tour which all give 7 Day PTP tickets that include EPA if you wanted to, and end up costing about the same as a 1 day PTP at regular price. There's really no reason to buy Universal in advance anyway.

I'm excited for this ride as a Harry Potter fan and a fan of great, themed attractions. Especially since the theming and experience is not fully reliant on screens. I will never forgive Universal for removing Dragons because that was a bunch of corporate nonsense, but I am fully onboard with all the locals and mega-fans (there are millions and millions of mega-fans of the Harry Potter franchise, Universal Resort's attendance has doubled since this landmark themed area debuted in 2010) who are out there today waiting however long the coaster's wait actually is, they've really been waiting for 2 years or more for this ride so six hours or so is nothing relatively.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks!

We're not buying anything yet anyway since we're waiting to see how long the lines for this ride end up being a few months down the line, I'm just weighing some options. Their website is frustrating though. :lol:

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:41 am

I was just wondering, is it kinda hard to really theme an outside coaster of this proportion?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!