Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1472: The Bourne Stuntacular coming Spring 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I followed along on the socials too, but really enjoyed re-looking at your coverage here in one post.

biggest eye-opener for me is that the "bike-seat" really is just a pretty standard coaster seat designed to look like a bike. I was thinking it would be more akin to a moto-coaster, or pony-express seat. Those are pretty standard on some Disc-O's now, so a little surprised they went for a standard seat configuration. tho it does LOOK fantastic themed wise.

I'm not a big Potter film fan, but I did really enjoy the books (starting with the 2nd one, the first one was a bit too young for me. . but gotta read it to know the characters so I plowed thru it in a night). So I'm sure I'd recognize some of the stuff, but not a lot if most of it is based on the films - several of which I've still not yet seen.

it does look like it's a fun experience, just for the low lying track. shame they didn't do more outdoor theming, and slowdowns to enjoy the theming they DO have on the ride.

but I'm sure it will do gangbusters for them, drawing in more folks with such a heavy tie to the Potterverse.

thanks again for the coverage.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

bert425 wrote:I followed along on the socials too, but really enjoyed re-looking at your coverage here in one post.

biggest eye-opener for me is that the "bike-seat" really is just a pretty standard coaster seat designed to look like a bike. I was thinking it would be more akin to a moto-coaster, or pony-express seat. Those are pretty standard on some Disc-O's now, so a little surprised they went for a standard seat configuration. tho it does LOOK fantastic themed wise.

Honestly, I think unless both sides were bike style, I think a half and half would cause chaos for the groupers and slow down the queue because you'd end up with a bunch of people probably wanting 'bike style' after waiting in line or even some groups of friends maybe breaking up to a row each to ride the bikes instead of together.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks for your review of the attraction, Robb.

From what you posted, I get the feeling that Universal is trying to do something that Disney liked to do with his large scale attractions. That is.... Have a lot going on, so you have to come back and see more of it. Repeat rides.

But I think Universal has done a kind of reverse on this. With the coaster going so fast at key points to actually see specific stuff, they figure you'll probably come back to actually see what's there, now that you know (roughly) where everything is, etc.

It shouldn't be that way, especially if some people go on it,
and they only have one chance to ride it (one-day touring schedules).

My 5 cents. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Garet wrote:Honestly, I think unless both sides were bike style, I think a half and half would cause chaos for the groupers and slow down the queue because you'd end up with a bunch of people probably wanting 'bike style' after waiting in line or even some groups of friends maybe breaking up to a row each to ride the bikes instead of together.

It's worked fine for this ride since 2007....

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 am

I still haven’t been back to Universal Orlando since they opened the original side of Harry Potter at IOA. I was fortunate to get to ride Dueling Dragons while it dueled once. The other two times I tried to ride it, the dispatches weren’t together. But those were some amazing and forceful inverts. I will miss them, but am looking forward to the Harry Potter experience now that there’s a new
coaster to try. I am interested to see how the Guardians roller coaster turns out in Epcot to see how Disney manages to tell a story on a roller coaster that’s faster than “7 Dwarfs Mine Train.”

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 am

2D928EAE-63FE-4FE5-BE24-278002B6CC99.jpeg

10 hours. Sounds like a party :lol:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 am

I think I can wait, oh, a few months, from the comfort of my home, before experiencing this attraction.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 am

Can I ask a stupid question?

We're going to Universal in October and since it looks like this ride isn't on Express (though that could change but I'm not counting on it since the other Potter rides went YEARS before being on express), I actually considered staying on property to get Early Admission.

That said, it sort of looks like they don't tell you what park will even be on early admission in advance (right now I only see the schedule through June) and right now Islands isn't open early for resort guests.

The only reason I would stay at one of their hotels instead of a hotel where I could use my Choice / Marriot / Hilton or IHG points would be for that perk but is there a way to see the schedule in advance?
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thedlr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am

We're visiting in September, so naturally I decided to install the app this morning. In the app, it looks like IOA is back on early admission starting August 1 through December 12 (as far out as the calendar currently goes).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 am

coasterbill wrote:
2D928EAE-63FE-4FE5-BE24-278002B6CC99.jpeg

10 hours. Sounds like a party :lol:

I knew it would be bad, but dang. :wtf:

Wonder what the single rider line looks like if there is one.

Also remember how everyone freaked out about Avengers being too long to not have a bathroom break?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hansa Park & Hamburg DOM

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!