Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1429: Harry Potter coaster name & opening date revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.
 
Posts: 696
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby cookiex » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 am

Of all the B&M coasters I thought would be the first to be entirely scrapped I didn't think Dragons would be one of them.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91


| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13742
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

robbalvey wrote:Please guys don't post anything from Midway Mayhem. Those guys are such assholes and have treated us like complete crap over the years.


Whoops, sorry about that. I'm usually conscious of that stuff and I know of plenty of sites you guys don't want shared here but I never knew Midway Mayhem was one of them. That's a shame to hear. I don't know why people feel the need to act like assholes when covering an industry that's completely, 100% about letting loose, having fun and not taking yourself too seriously.

robbalvey wrote:I have actually been saying this for QUITE SOME TIME and I'm not sure why people didn't believe me. I'm not known to post random stupid crap that's not true. Please, just take my word for it. You don't need photos & video from some insecure douchebag to confirm it for you.


I know this isn't directed at me and I know you've been hinting at this for a long time but now that you mention the fact that you've known about this for such a long time there is something about this Dragons Challenge thing that I find really confusing. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on it (or maybe even speculate on it because I can't figure it out).

Based on when you started hinting about it on here, it seems like the rumors about Dragon Challenge started to surface not long after Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express opened. That sort of implies that this is something Universal has been thinking about for quite some time, probably even before Diagon Alley opened.

If that's the case then I can't for the life of me understand why they would go so far out of their way to shoehorn the Hogsmeade Station of the Hogwarts Express into such an asinine location. As of now, it seems like the only reason they would choose that location is to accommodate a ride that was on the chopping block anyway. The train station is located nowhere near the midway, wedged between helixes on fire and ice with an overflow queue up against that stupid Sinbad building. The logical part of me thinks that this must have been something Universal was considering for a long time, but the placement of the train station is so ridiculous that it almost seems like removing Dragon Challenge was never a serious consideration until after they green lit the Hogwarts Express (but that seems sort of crazy since the projects really weren't that far apart).

I can't be the only one that finds that really weird, right?

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 33088
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Swimming in the Ocean
Gender: Female
Age: 37

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

^Answer: Universal :?r

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47772
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am

coasterbill wrote:I know this isn't directed at me and I know you've been hinting at this for a long time but now that you mention the fact that you've known about this for such a long time there is something about this Dragons Challenge thing that I find really confusing. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on it (or maybe even speculate on it because I can't figure it out).

The first time I ever heard about Dragons going was BEFORE Hogsmeade even opened. JK didn't like it and I had heard that each side would go to different Universal parks that were in the planning stages at that time. Those didn't happen. Dragons stayed. JK hated it. Rumors got stronger after Diagon opened and Dragons was flagged as the next expansion area. I'd heard everything from new ride to a hotel. Who knows, maybe BOTH can still happen, it's a huge area.

I think a lot of us just were hoping that none of those rumors were true because, as I've said many times already, it's rare that you see a park get rid of an actual good ride, no GREAT ride that is still ranking high on guest satisfaction and is one of the flagship rides of the park.

All I know is that parks like Universal Japan have shown how rides like Jaws and Potter can co-exist while at the same time building a brand new totally kick-ass B&M coaster. Maybe Orlando should take some cues from our Japanese friends. ;)

although I'm not expecting Jaws to still be in Japan in five years either...

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 am

I wish they would just go ahead and build the Flying Dinosaur coaster in IOA, but then again......Universal.

Nothing beats Cali coasters
User avatar
 
Posts: 2736
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Location: Ocean Beach, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 am

robbalvey wrote:Please guys don't post anything from Midway Mayhem. Those guys are such assholes and have treated us like complete crap over the years. Even up until very recently when I sent a guy to record a POV of Mine Blower while we were out of town and the Midway Mayhem dude happened to also be at Fun Spot and sat there in front of the park management talking about how we are such a terrible site and we shouldn't be allowed to film. Real professional. I do not want to support that guy in any way at all. Thank you.

Side note: Fun Spot ended up using all our footage in their web content and TV commercials so I guess his warnings fell on deaf ears! :P


Not going to post the links or anything, but heads up; this post apparently started some controversy. This dude is spamming Instagram and Facebook to further beef with TPR because he clearly "hates drama" :lmao:

robbalvey wrote:All I know is that parks like Universal Japan have shown how rides like Jaws and Potter can co-exist while at the same time building a brand new totally kick-ass B&M coaster. Maybe Orlando should take some cues from our Japanese friends. ;)


Ugh, Flying Dino is seriously SO GOOD. It really bums me out when I see the differences in directions these two parks have taken in the past few years
Image
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

I wrote the book about donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 408
Joined: 03 May 2015
Location: North Korea
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Themonerd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am

After reading the past 10 pages of this thread, I've learned how much of a bitch JK Rowling was about the situation good riddance.
If it has :airtime: count me in!
I've created 3 locked threads. I should start using that search function.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13742
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am

Themonerd wrote:After reading the past 10 pages of this thread, I've learned how much of a bitch JK Rowling was about the situation good riddance.


What?

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47772
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 am

chickenbowl wrote:Not going to post the links or anything, but heads up; this post apparently started some controversy. This dude is spamming Instagram and Facebook to further beef with TPR because he clearly "hates drama" :lmao:

Of course he is... He'll probably get more attention out of a post mentioning TPR than most of his videos. So, to RollerManDan...
Image

EDIT: lol Yes I see he's posted to just about every social media channel mentioning us trying to stir up drama (and page views.) :lol: "kids these days..."
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey
User avatar
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Age: 22

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm

If true that JK Rowling was responsible for this, then I'm incredibly disappointed with her at best. I come from a family that really likes Harry Potter. But it is maddening to see someone ruin something other people love just because she doesn't like the way it looks. If I ever actually wrote a series of books (which I am trying to do right now, funnily enough) I would not care what people did with it in most cases. Then again, I feel like having something of yours remain popular for so long can cause someone to develop a sense of entitlement.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron