Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1468 - Halloween Horror Nights 29 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

Well, it looks like one of the Comcast execs slipped up today and accidentally announced Kong for Universal Orlando!
http://attractionsmagazine.com/the-rumor-queue-comcast-kongfirms-the-return-of-the-king-kong-to-universal/

In a fourth quarter earnings conference call, Comcast CFO Michael J. Angelakis stated the following:

“As we continue to invest in attractions, including Harry Potter and Fast and Furious in Hollywood and a King Kong attraction in Orlando, investments in our theme park are driving strong returns.”

What are your thoughts on the idea that a once-lost attraction at the resort is now coming back for a re-boot? Wonder if there might be any chance for a Jaws return in the future?

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby OrlandoGuy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 pm

robbalvey wrote:Well, it looks like one of the Comcast execs slipped up today and accidentally announced Kong for Universal Orlando!
http://attractionsmagazine.com/the-rumor-queue-comcast-kongfirms-the-return-of-the-king-kong-to-universal/

In a fourth quarter earnings conference call, Comcast CFO Michael J. Angelakis stated the following:

“As we continue to invest in attractions, including Harry Potter and Fast and Furious in Hollywood and a King Kong attraction in Orlando, investments in our theme park are driving strong returns.”

What are your thoughts on the idea that a once-lost attraction at the resort is now coming back for a re-boot? Wonder if there might be any chance for a Jaws return in the future?

Here's my take on the whole rebooting attractions thing...

I think that, for starters, the original Kong didn't ever lose popularity, it was just an unreliable and expensive ride that was eating up money and suffering severe downtime. So while its removal was justified, there was still at least some demand for Kong, which helped motivate the construction of this new Kong ride. But I think the biggest motivating factor was Kong 360's success in Hollywood. Had the original King Kong encounter on the tram tour not burned down and was never replaced, I dont think Orlando Kong would exist. Kong 360 was an easy fix with a guaranteed ROI because it existed as a component to the ever-changing tram tour rather than as a standalone attraction, but I think Hollywood got a lot more attention for it than they had expected. Basically, a quick fix t replace a classic scene on a major attraction ended up proving the popularity and relevance of an older franchise. Thats why Orlando's jumping on it IMO.

Will we ever get another Jaws? Only if the demand can be proven. But there are few instances where it's possible to prove a market without breaking the bank first. Maybe if the Jaws scene on the tram tour gets an update and it proves successful then we could see a revival over here. But other than a scenario like that, I personally don't see it. The only other instance I can think of for an old ride coming back is if a remake of an old movie comes out and proves popular (for example, a popular Ghostbusters remake inspiring the return of a Ghostbusters show).

Whatever the reason for it, though, this is a very interesting move by the park and one that took me and a lot of others by surprise I think.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:21 pm

I love Diagon Alley and everything about it...but I do miss Jaws. I know it seemed to lose its popularity and it was a costly attraction, it was probably one of the most unique experiences out there. I really miss that ride. I wish there was a way to have both Diagon Alley and Jaws. If they did a Jaws return...I'm all for it!!!
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm

^ At least Universal Japan proved that Jaws and Potter could co-exist in the same park! While I realize it's sort of an "apples to oranges" comparison, it's at least nice to see that Jaws was not on the chopping block when it came time to look for places to put the Potter area within the park.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:46 pm

chargersmichael wrote:I love Diagon Alley and everything about it...but I do miss Jaws. I know it seemed to lose its popularity and it was a costly attraction, it was probably one of the most unique experiences out there. I really miss that ride. I wish there was a way to have both Diagon Alley and Jaws. If they did a Jaws return...I'm all for it!!!

Jaws has come back for his revenge four times, so never say never. ;) We need a "Jaws Meets Sharknado" attraction.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:00 pm

^19 times according to Back to the Future!

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Im willing to bet money JAWS will show up in the new water park in some form or fashion...
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Jew wrote:^19 times according to Back to the Future!

:nina:

Postby Wes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm

jarmor wrote:Im willing to bet money JAWS will show up in the new water park in some form or fashion...

Amity Slideland.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 pm

^This is among the greatest ideas in history.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!