Page 1088 of 1469

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:07 pm
by DirkFunk
Jew wrote:Why is everyone so sure Wet'N'Wild would close? Other possibilities for the new park could be that demand was so high for Wet'N'Wild they need a second park to help. Or making the new park resort guests only (with limited tickets sold to non resort guests).


If you're going to gear a brand new, full sized water park almost entirely to resort guests, why let them pool hop at extravagantly sized pool facilities you keep building?

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 pm
by Rollercoaster Rider
I'd be willing to bet a few of the attractions could easily relocate to the new waterpark.


Or they'll sell the rides.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:02 am
by Jew
DirkFunk wrote:
Jew wrote:Why is everyone so sure Wet'N'Wild would close? Other possibilities for the new park could be that demand was so high for Wet'N'Wild they need a second park to help. Or making the new park resort guests only (with limited tickets sold to non resort guests).


If you're going to gear a brand new, full sized water park almost entirely to resort guests, why let them pool hop at extravagantly sized pool facilities you keep building?


Because you aren't charging extra for the pools. They could follow the model of some of the indoor water parks (I believe Atlantis resort does this too) where resort guests have first dibs on buying tickets before selling to the general public.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 am
by DirkFunk
Jew wrote:Because you aren't charging extra for the pools. They could follow the model of some of the indoor water parks (I believe Atlantis resort does this too) where resort guests have first dibs on buying tickets before selling to the general public.


I realize you aren't charging extra for the pools. The issue is that if you're going to operate two water parks w/gated entry and have one essentially just for the hotel guests, pools like Cabana Bay's that cost people nothing are will act as an alternative to the gated facility. If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping. I won't compare it with Atlantis because that plays operates by a whole different business model in a place where independently leaving the resort area is just not done.

Since this rumor started making the rounds in earnest months ago and was then substantiated by the building permits that appeared in November, part of that rumor is "Wet N' Wild will probably close". Given how much has already been validated, and how much it makes sense to not generally go forth and compete with yourself, I think dismissing that possibility out of hand is probably not best.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm
by Jew
^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property. You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool. Sure, someone doing Orlando on the cheap might limit their water activities to the pool...but to the people planning their ultimate vacation, an extra $30 isn't going to break their bank. In fact, offering the park as quasi-exclusive might convince someone to stay at UO vs. all the other hotels/resorts around.

UO is adding a ton of hotel rooms and needs reasons for people to stay in them.

I'm not saying it's a lock they will leave Wet'N'Wild open, but I don't think it's a sure thing at this point with UO trying to grow as a resort.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:09 pm
by neovortex2k
I for one could do without another waterpark and would prefer expansion of the theme parks. However in saying that I do feel the Universal Resort needs a good waterpark to add to its property (excluding Wet n Wild)

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:59 pm
by ElvisLuv
Jew wrote:^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property. You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool. Sure, someone doing Orlando on the cheap might limit their water activities to the pool...but to the people planning their ultimate vacation, an extra $30 isn't going to break their bank. In fact, offering the park as quasi-exclusive might convince someone to stay at UO vs. all the other hotels/resorts around.



We just stayed at Wilderness and Animal Kingdom just a few days ago. We went to Typhoon Lagoon once when we deemed it warm enough(low 70s). You can't compare a well executed water park to even the swankiest resort pool if you love water and water rides. We enjoyed both resorts' pools but they are not Typhoon Lagoon, not by a country mile.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:32 pm
by jedimaster1227
Yesterday the Universal Orlando Resort hosted Theme Park Review for its annual Mardi Gras media preview featuring great food, fantastic music, a headliner act and lots of fun! This year's event changed it up a little bit with a new order for the parade floats, new performers for the concert lineup and more...

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 am
by cfc
Floats & food--works for me!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 am
by PKI Jizzman
Woah Kelly Clarkson is huge! Is that really her?