Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1468 - Halloween Horror Nights 29 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-universal-water-park-plans-20150216-story.html

It's official. Universal Orlando has submitted plans for a water park with a volcano feature south of its Cabana Bay Beach Resort.

An engineering consultant confirmed that the project east of Turkey Lake Road is a "water theme park" in a report filed with the South Florida Water Management District on Friday.

A report from Professional Services Industries Inc. said "a "tall 'volcano' with slides will be constructed on the southern portion of the site." There will be a wave pool at the volcano's equipment bunker. There also will be a lazy river and rapids ride, according to the plans.

Last year, Universal filed stormwater permit documents for the project with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, saying construction will go on through November 2016, with 53 acres of "land disturbance." Those documents did not identify what the project would be. Speculation about a water park has gone on for months.

NBCUniversal owns the Wet 'n Wild water park across Interstate 4. The company recently replaced Wet 'n Wild's longtime general manager with a Universal park veteran.

A Universal spokesman could not be reached for comment.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Do we really need another waterpark?

Florida has enough waterparks. If I am not mistaken, this plot of land is next to the theme parks. Why not add onto the theme park? I thought I have read that the parks are pretty much land locked.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SPACESHIP » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:13 pm

thrillrider wrote:Do we really need another waterpark?

Florida has enough waterparks. If I am not mistaken, this plot of land is next to the theme parks. Why not add onto the theme park? I thought I have read that the parks are pretty much land locked.

Wet N' Wild is said to likely be closing when construction is underway. The current and surrounding land for that property will be used for addition resort expansion.

I welcome it, especially if the theming is top notch and slides and are on the cutting edge of technology (advanced Proslide models instead of standard slides).
SPACESHIP!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:22 pm

^This plot of land is in not next to the theme parks. It is in between Cabana Bay and I-4. I believe this will be very successful for Universal. I do believe that they will probably close down Wet N Wild and maybe bring some of their better slides to the new park. I'm personally very happy with this as I love water parks and Universal. This is just a great mix. My only real question is parking. Is there going to be a separate parking lot for this Volcano water park or will you still park in the Parking Garage at CityWalk. Maybe a shuttle service to the water park perhaps?
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I've read it wont be parking next to it. I think it would suck for non resort visitors to haul that stuff around. it would be a problem wanting to do the parks and the water park in the same day if you aren't staying on site...
thrillrider wrote:Do we really need another waterpark?

YES!!! Outside of disney, there are only 2 water parks in central fla (that I know of). And its not like placing 3 McDonald's on the same block. It seems every water park in central offers some "unique-ness" to it in some form. I guess since I have read some unofficial details of this water park I may be more excited for it
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Here are a few waterparks in the area....

Aquatica
Wet and wild
Blizzard beach
typhoon lagoon
Coco key hotel/waterpark
Discovery cove
Legoland waterpark

Plus several other smaller waterparks in the area. There are also many other waterparks within an hour or so of orlando like adventure island and buccaneer bay. There is also wild waters (although this park is a little more than an hour plus away).

I may be wrong, but most tourists to the orlando area are there for the theme parks. I am not sure how many people would travel from all over the world to go to a waterpark. Most city's in this country have a waterpark either in the city or nearby.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:02 pm

I mention the disney water parks and said outside of them. From my experience, most people who go to disney water parks are already disney world guest and not the casual orlando visitor. Wet n'wild would basically close since universal wouldn't need two water parks so close to each other. Coco key...that's like 3 slides right? And besides, how many non-hotel guest acutally visit that place? Legoland is considered far when you are considering the amount of people who fly into Orlando and main focus is between ouniversal, sea world and disney. Honestly...do you really consider discovery cove a "water park"?

So basically, for the Orlando visitor who doesn't want to venture outside the Orlando area and not really going to Disney, its only 2 REAL, fleshed out water parks, and one of them may be on the chopping block. I say bring on universal's take on a water park. I'm sure it wont be just slides and a water play fort...

And you are correct...more tourist are in Orlando for the theme parks...but guess what...universal built their own mini golf course and now many of those are in Orlando? Universal just built Cabana bay and building Sapphire falls...how many hotels are already in Orlando...so why shouldn't universal build their own water park? Universal doesn't care what Orlando already has, they care about keeping their guest spending money with them and adding days to their visit as a result of more offerings.

I say the more places to cool off in Orlando in those smoldering months of may-aug the better...
Last edited by jarmor on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby OrlandoGuy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:12 pm

thrillrider wrote:Here are a few waterparks in the area....

Aquatica
Wet and wild
Blizzard beach
typhoon lagoon
Coco key hotel/waterpark
Discovery cove
Legoland waterpark

Plus several other smaller waterparks in the area. There are also many other waterparks within an hour or so of orlando like adventure island and buccaneer bay. There is also wild waters (although this park is a little more than an hour plus away).

I may be wrong, but most tourists to the orlando area are there for the theme parks. I am not sure how many people would travel from all over the world to go to a waterpark. Most city's in this country have a waterpark either in the city or nearby.

A Universal waterpark will incentivize guests in the Universal hotels to stay an extra day and be an added perk for locals to buy/renew their Universal annual passes.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby BintamiM » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 pm

thrillrider wrote:Here are a few waterparks in the area....

Aquatica
Wet and wild
Blizzard beach
typhoon lagoon
Coco key hotel/waterpark
Discovery cove
Legoland waterpark

Discovery is not really a water park or a theme park. But I will like to see a Universal Creation. Hopefully they get rid of Wet n Wild

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 am

Even though Disney will always own Orlando, Universal is being very aggressive in trying to make UO a true resort!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!