Most Overrated coaster?

What coaster was super hyped, and became a let down.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Most Overrated coaster?

Postby Chasehat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Beast. What a complete f**king snore fest.
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance
3. Superman the Ride 4. Maverick
5. Millennium Force 6. Storm Chaser
7. Boulder Dash 8. Wicked Cyclone
9. Fury 325 10. Diamondback

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Chasehat wrote:Beast. What a complete f**king snore fest.

The Beast is one coaster that I thought there'd be no way it'd live up to the hype, and then I loved it. No kidding! I think it's the best ride in the park, even if it's been trimmed and tweaked over the years. The double-helix at night is a religious experience. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm

coasterbill wrote:Even at it's best, Boulder Dash is a great answer to this question. It can deliver great rides (especially at night) but people hype it up to absurd levels.

Personally my vote still goes to X2 though, that ride is absolutely f*cking terrible.

Boulder Dash, at it's best, absolutely deserves the hype. It's been years since it was anything like the coaster it was when it was built though. I think anyone that's only ridden it in this decade is missing out on what it used to be. As the star of my home park, I can only hope that someday LC can get it running like it used to again.

Chasehat wrote:Beast. What a complete f**king snore fest.

You rode it during the day, didn't you? No other ride anywhere is as different before and after dark as The Beast is. It can never live up to the hype, not even a bit of it, while the sun is up, but once it's dark...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Rai Fox wrote:I think anyone that's only ridden it in this decade is missing out on what it used to be

:lol: :lol: :lol: I’ve seen people make excuses for rides before but come on...

I would never say it’s the “most overrated coaster” since X2 exists but I totally get it if someone does. Our rides on it last year were sh*t and it’s overrated even when it’s running at its best (and my first rides on it were back in it’s opening season). Actual people who live among us voted this thing as being better than rides like Phoenix and El Toro a few years ago. I mean... what? :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Beast at night is a fantastic experience. I was skeptical a ride with as few drops as the Beast could be fun, but it was. Now it's not a top 10 coaster or anything, but I think the only place it's listed as a top 10 ride is the Golden Ticket Awards.

Boulder Dash is another one you have to ride at night to fully appreciate it. By day it's a borderline top 5 wooden coaster for me (admittedly in the right seats). At night (especially in row 1), it's a top 5 ride in the world.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 pm

It’s a great night ride but I still never got “top 5 ride in the world” vibes from it. I (usually) really like the ride but I guess I’m missing out on something here. :lol:

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Banshee. Banshee. Banshee.
Bigger is not always better.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby roflstomper » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:33 am

Went to the SoCal parks for the first time this year and only coaster that I came off of saying "that's it?" was Superman at SFMM. Slow "launch" all the way through, went halfway up the tower, lack of airtime and had this weird plastic shell covering half my body.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 am

My first trip to Holiday World the Voyage left a lot to be desired. I had been riding Shivering Timbers since 1998 and all the fan sites were saying this is the bigger better version. I was so excited to ride it. It was a gray rainy day. The back half of the woods the ride was king of sluggish and the 2nd half of the ride that goes into the spaghetti bowl was one of the roughest moments I have ever had on a coaster. One ride was all I could bare. Spent the rest of the day on the other 3 coasters and the amazing splashing safari
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 am

I will echo thoughts about the Beast being overrated - during the day. It just meanders everywhere and is more of "historic journey" than a thrilling roller coaster. That is, until you get a front row night ride. Last summer my brother and I rode it in the front row at night, for the first time, and I still think that was one of the most memorable theme park experiences ever for us. It's just unlike anything else and I can't wait to do it again sometime.

As for a roller coaster that is always overrated, day or night, I'd have to go with Top Thrill Dragster. Sorry, I know it has its fans... Don't get me wrong, I love the ride. It's impossible to not like a coaster that goes so fast and is so tall. But I like rides that I remember for a long time and that leave a lasting impact, and even after riding Dragster several times in 2012, 2014, and 2017, I still don't understand all of the hype. I will gladly take Millennium Force, Maverick, and even Magnum to some extent over Dragster any day. I like "complete" coasters. Just a personal taste.

It's still a great ride and definitely iconic. But when I think of an overrated coaster, that one is the first to come to mind.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!