Most Overrated coaster?

What coaster was super hyped, and became a let down.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Re: Most Overrated coaster?

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:27 am

There's great moments on coasters, and there's generally great coasters. I finally had one of those "religious experiences?" on The Beast last year right before the park closed, getting last train that night. Something about not being surrounded by enthusiasts mixed in with being tired from an overall excellent day led to that night ride being a nice closer for it all. And yes, the riders hath rejoiced upon return to the station. But that was just one ride. The other prior 5 or so rides were all "meh," and I still consider it one of the most overrated coasters I've ever ridden. I still think Voyage is far better, even with its occasional roughness.

Having said that, I bumped Beast to #2 on my overrated list, and planted Raptor in my #1.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Card » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:33 am

Midgetman82 wrote:There's great moments on coasters, and there's generally great coasters. I finally had one of those "religious experiences?" on The Beast last year right before the park closed, getting last train that night. Something about not being surrounded by enthusiasts mixed in with being tired from an overall excellent day led to that night ride being a nice closer for it all. And yes, the riders hath rejoiced upon return to the station. But that was just one ride. The other prior 5 or so rides were all "meh," and I still consider it one of the most overrated coasters I've ever ridden. I still think Voyage is far better, even with its occasional roughness.

Having said that, I bumped Beast to #2 on my overrated list, and planted Raptor in my #1.

I agree with both of these choices, although I'd put Beast WAY higher than Raptor. At least with Raptor, I can enjoy the first drop, loop, and the double helix, all of which are really great. Too bad the turn into the final brake run was so hastily designed, and those corkscrews... ugh. As big of a B&M fanboy as I am - and they don't come much bigger than me - the majority of the corkscrews on their coasters are head-bangers.

The Beast has a really good layout, but beyond that, it's insanely vulgar. It's like taking a nice scenic sled ride through the woods, except instead of a sled, they strap you to a furiously spinning washing machine full of bricks that rearranges your spine into a jigsaw. Any ride that leaves me rubbing my back instead of smiling is generally not looking at a good write-up.

My #1 choice, however, is probably Skyrush. I liken the ride experience to Dwayne Johnson dropping the barbell with weights he uses for bench presses across my legs. If that makes me a pussy... well then, I'm guilty as charged, I suppose. Not only that, but poor Comet is completely emasculated by it. Skyrush has all the visual appeal of something I hastily shoehorned into one of my RollerCoaster Tycoon parks during my teenage years.

*sigh*

Okay fine, the Stengel dive is cool... but that's NO EXCUSE.

By the way Midgetman82, your Flickr page is all kinds of awesome and has earned you a follower.

*EDIT: Didn't realize you can't say the A-word here. Duly noted.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 am

I've always just unconsciously stuck my head forward from the OTSR's during any sort of snappy corkscrew and had no problem with it (other than standups becuase they suck). Maybe it's just me, but I've always found Raptor perfectly smooth and really enjoy the snap into the brakes. Especially for a 23 year old ride, now.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 am

Another one for me is Manta at SWO. Besides that insanely forceful pretzel loop, it has nothing going for it at all.
Last edited by TheCoasterKid211 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am.
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:55 am

Card wrote:My #1 choice, however, is probably Skyrush. I liken the ride experience to Dwayne Johnson dropping the barbell with weights he uses for bench presses across my legs. If that makes me a pussy... well then, I'm guilty as charged, I suppose. Not only that, but poor Comet is completely emasculated by it. Skyrush has all the visual appeal of something I hastily shoehorned into one of my RollerCoaster Tycoon parks during my teenage years.

*sigh*

Okay fine, the Stengel dive is cool... but that's NO EXCUSE.

Skyrush is the greatest thing ever. But I totally get why people would hate it. The "all Skyrush haters are pussies" thing is totally in jest. That said, you can minimize pain by sitting toward the front (front row is the best - that back left IS the death seat), avoiding the outer seats (tho I am a masochist so I prefer them), hanging onto the grabbars the entire ride, and tucking your legs under so your calves are hugging the bottom of the seats. Its a really strange way to ride a coaster but if you sit that way and anticipate the ejector moments and sorta ride into them (there's only like 4 of them, right?) it makes it a completely enjoyable experience. No other coaster makes me feel that vulnerable/terrified throughout.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Card » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 am

boldikus wrote:Skyrush is the greatest thing ever. But I totally get why people would hate it. The "all Skyrush haters are pussies" thing is totally in jest. That said, you can minimize pain by sitting toward the front (front row is the best - that back left IS the death seat), avoiding the outer seats (tho I am a masochist so I prefer them), hanging onto the grabbars the entire ride, and tucking your legs under so your calves are hugging the bottom of the seats. Its a really strange way to ride a coaster but if you sit that way and anticipate the ejector moments and sorta ride into them (there's only like 4 of them, right?) it makes it a completely enjoyable experience. No other coaster makes me feel that vulnerable/terrified throughout.

It's all good. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Then again, there are people who dislike Fury 325, which is the smoking gun that they are terrible human beings and should be catapulted into space for the good of our planet.

I appreciate the pointers and I'll put them into action the next time I take a spin on it. As a balding man rocking cargo shorts and occasionally slinging a low-end DSLR camera around his neck, it's difficult to fathom looking any more ridiculous than I already do.

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Expedition Geforce is so rated, it simply HAS to be overrated. No rollercoaster can possibly live up to how Expedion Geforce is seemingly worshiped in the coaster world. My expectations are super high for this ride, so much so that I feel I can only be disappointed, which is annoying. Does anyone have a legitimate crappy review for this ride to lower my expectations to a reasonable level? :lol:
Note to self: don't be stupid...

Current top coaster = Expedition GeForce.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm

^Did you ride it?

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby joelwee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 pm

VR coasters are overrated.

They make me dizzy and nauseous, and I think the Nintendo 64 produced better graphics than the Gear VR goggles that Six Flags uses.
Seat, don't fail me now!

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:33 pm

joelwee wrote:VR coasters are overrated.

That's still not saying all that much.
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!