Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 pm

coasternut wrote:I know this is the Cedar Point thread, but I was at Kings Island for the past 5 days and they never used the access pass for Orion at all. Just wanted to make that clear.

I was at KI both Friday and Saturday and can vouch for that. That said, CP is still pretty strict about it for the big 3, and less so for Dragster.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 152
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Intimidator 305, Skyrush, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Twister (Knoebels), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 pm

Mike240SX wrote:
tanthonyam wrote:Sounds like too much trouble and not worth it.

It's really not. I had great success using the following system each day both during my July trip and the one I just got back from:

1. Be there for gate opening, 10:00. This requires arrival at the park at 9:30-9:45 to allow time to go through the temperature screening.
2. Casually stroll back to Steel Vengeance. Even without running, you should be within the first 50 people in line for an Access Pass (hereafter referred to as AP). This Sunday and Monday I was in the 6th group and 1st group respectively, and believe me I was definitely strolling, and stopped for a bathroom break each day.
3. At 11:00 (or slightly before, as I noticed), collect your SV AP...it will definitely be for the noon-1:00 timeslot.
4. Casually stroll to Millennium Force.
5. By the time you arrive, the line should be shorter than it was at 11:00. When you get to the front, show them your Noon SV AP and they should give you a 1:00-2:00 AP for Millennium.

From here, it depends whether your visiting on a Saturday or Sunday/weekday.

If it's a Sunday or weekday,
6A. Loop around to Dragster, and show them your two previously acquired APs to get one for 2:00-3:00.
7A. Make you way back up to Maverick, and show them your three previously acquired APs to get one for 3:00-4:00.
8A. By this time, it should be around 11:45, and you're right back up near SV to get in line for the Noon AP group.
9A. From there, go about your day as you see fit.

If it's a Saturday:
6B. Decide which is more important to you, Maverick or Dragster, and go there and get a pass, again showing your previously acquired passes.
7B. Try to go to the other one and get a pass. Note that they may be all out, in which case you'll need to carefully plan the rest of your day to be back in the area of that ride around 2:45 (when the lines start forming for the 3:30 distribution).

Using that system, you're guaranteed a ride on each AP-coaster per day. It works, and really isn't that much of a hassle at all. Depending on other lines, you can try to squeeze some other rides in between your pass times, or just focus on being there at the time for the pass and then do other stuff at the park afterwards.

Note that on this past Sunday, Dragster did not have enough of a crowd at some points to require AP use - they were still handing them out, but at both 11:00 and around 1:00 they were not requiring passes to get in line.

EDIT: I see now that you're the guy who but doesn't believe a trip to Kennywood is worth it because Steel Curtain isn't operating, and have made similar other "debbie downer" posts, so there probably isn't any changing your mind.

Just curious, would it make sense to line up at 10 to instead be the first riders of the day for Steel Vengeance when it opens at 11 rather than queue up for the access pass? I figure I could grab a Steel Vengeance pass afterwards or if they run out that quickly, get one at 3:30.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hersheypark & Six Flags Great Adventure

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Only if you run and get on the first train or three. I found that by leisurely strolling back there, by the time I got there, there was already 30-50 people in the standby line (basically everyone that will run past you after the gate opens). Remember with the reduced capacity there's only a maximum of 12 people per train, and that's if there's no odd-number groups (say 1 or 3 people). The 20-30 minute delay of getting on the ride could negatively affect your ability to get the other passes in the initial drop, which was always my goal.

If you do run and get on SV in the first few trains from the initial standby queue, you probaly won't get an AP for it - the line will still be back near the split to go left to Gemini or right to CCMR. If you take 25 minutes to get on and off the ride, you definitely won't get an access pass for it. Don't forget taking time to grab your stuff out of a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo afterwards, fighting the crowds in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo area.

I personally never wanted to have to rely on the second batch, but your mileage may vary. There are approximately 25% less passes given out in the second wave (4-5, 5-6, and 6-7, as opposed to the morning batch of 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4). Also remember that if you do manage to grab a pass or two for the other 3 AP rides in the first drop, by the time you get them it will probably be a 2-3 and/or 3-4, right at the time you need to be lining up for the second drop.

If you don't care about two of the other 4 rides, or are willing to interrupt your day for the second batch of passes, sure, but for me I'd rather not risk it. It just made more sense to me to grab all four passes early, get on those rides, and then take care of the rest of the park without having to worry about being in the right place at the right time.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Intimidator 305, Skyrush, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Twister (Knoebels), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:29 am

^ Thanks, that makes sense. Since I'm staying at Breakers, I'd have the advantage of the hotel gate to try and beat the crowd back there.

I figured Steel Vengeance's access passes would run out quickly, but I didn't realize they'd be gone in 20-25 minutes.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:10 am

Didn't even factor in the Resort Gate. Yeah, if you can be at the head of that line and make a brisk jog, that system might work for you....ride SV, then go get the APs for the other rides.
-Mike

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:46 am

Mike240SX wrote:Didn't even factor in the Resort Gate. Yeah, if you can be at the head of that line and make a brisk jog, that system might work for you....ride SV, then go get the APs for the other rides.

Thanks! It seems like the biggest risk with this approach is if Steel Vengeance doesn't open with the park.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby tndank » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:20 am

This past Saturday I was roughly 4th in line for TTD passes at 11am. After collecting those, we walked around the back and got SV passes without an issue. Stood in line and got Maverick (they still had fairly decent stacks for a couple time slots). Then, we walked down to MF and got passes there without any issue. Later in the day we handed those passes out to randoms and helped some people out.

Getting them wasn't really a problem or struggle if you are in the park at 10.

Could have gotten straight into TTD dragster instead of passes but figured we'd collect all passes just in case before we started riding.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby thepoint4life23 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:32 am

I got in line for Maverick around 10:30 got on and off about 11:10 since they open the ride a few minutes early. then got a maverick, SV after the ride.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Holy sh*t, they actually opened Windseeker.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby blk_mamba » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 pm

coasterbill wrote:Holy sh*t, they actually opened Windseeker.

The did. I rode it this weekend and it was awesome! Only big ride that wasn't open when I was there Sunday and Monday was MaxAir.

PreviousNext