Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: Google Adsense [Bot], haydn12 and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:54 pm

All of the recent reports in this thread only reaffirm to me why, in spite of CP being my favorite park in the world, and only a few hours away, it's officially dead to me during the Halloween season! I haven't been since 2015, and that was Friday. I made the mistake many years before that of going on a Saturday, and I swore off ever doing that tragic blunder again. And that was before the days of Gold Passes! I can't even imagine how ungodly the crowds are now, nor do I want to. Shiver

Samuel wrote:Steel Vengeance: Relentless, imposing, so smooth, and such a wild, fun blur of an experience. The airtime over the first two big hills (the top hat and outer-banked hill) felt like pure flying through the air and had me laughing hysterically. The airtime is bananas. There's so much happening so rapidly that it's difficult to recall individual moments. The first drop, which would be the signature of most rides, is just one part of a larger ensemble that defies clear recall. The whole coaster seems like it's in fast-forward, giving you no time to think about each element as you shred through it. Contrary to some reviews, I never felt tossed around whatsoever -- in fact, I was mesmerized by how aggressive and graceful this ride is. And what a beautiful structure lit up at night! That's one aspect of Mean Streak that I'm glad was preserved.

I'm completely with you on this! I too feel like SV is the epitome of an aggressive, but graceful ride experience, and I can actually ride it over and over! Sure, I'll have some thigh bruises from the last bunny hops, but they'll be well worth it! I don't "get" the talk of it being rough, or feeling out of control, but hey, to each their own.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Scored some deeply discounted tickets, so I was also at the supposed to be slower Friday of September 20. For one, at the resort entrance under Magnum, they gave no effs about who was early entry and who wasn't, so that was a great bonus considering we were running a bit early.

Steel Vengeance posted at an hour with an actual wait of an hour and 15 minutes was our longest wait. Not a huge deal considering its newness and the person I was with had never rode before. After that, we never waited more than 30 minutes. Not what was originally anticipated, but considering the warmth and the supposed inflated attendance with the Gold Passes, it was fine. Gave a few extra chances to enjoy October beers in the queues.

My only head-scratching observation is this Steel Vengeance loose article policy. I get it there was an incident, I get it the phone ban in the queue fired people up, and I get it that the nature of the ride will eat more pocket items than the average coaster. However, there are four ride hosts dedicated between two metal detectors and stamping. I wonder if the desired results of this procedure are enough to justify this investment of labor and resources. Of course, this is slightly better than the phone ban in the queue, but even that didn't require the resources the current procedure needs. But hey, if CP thinks this is their best solution, have at it I guess. CP and Universal can bond over their metal detectors.

Postby prozach626 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Strippers, food trucks, and cheesecake? It sounds like Cedar Point is the place to be this Halloween season.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 pm

DILinator wrote:Samuel wrote:
Steel Vengeance: Relentless, imposing, so smooth, and such a wild, fun blur of an experience. The airtime over the first two big hills (the top hat and outer-banked hill) felt like pure flying through the air and had me laughing hysterically. The airtime is bananas. There's so much happening so rapidly that it's difficult to recall individual moments. The first drop, which would be the signature of most rides, is just one part of a larger ensemble that defies clear recall. The whole coaster seems like it's in fast-forward, giving you no time to think about each element as you shred through it. Contrary to some reviews, I never felt tossed around whatsoever -- in fact, I was mesmerized by how aggressive and graceful this ride is. And what a beautiful structure lit up at night! That's one aspect of Mean Streak that I'm glad was preserved.

I'm completely with you on this! I too feel like SV is the epitome of an aggressive, but graceful ride experience, and I can actually ride it over and over! Sure, I'll have some thigh bruises from the last bunny hops, but they'll be well worth it! I don't "get" the talk of it being rough, or feeling out of control, but hey, to each their own.

The biggest complaint I always see with SV is people don't necessarily like the transitions when the track is re-align with the footers which always throws in some laterals. Personally those were some of my favorite parts. The little jolt into the MCBR and when you come out of the last barrel roll in and get thrown to the right with a quick jolt. To me, those aren't rough or out of place though. Honestly it feels like Alan Schilke did those on purpose to find a way to throw some laterals into the ride.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 pm

An underrated lateral can be experienced in the front car of Millennium. The train comes rocketing through that final overbank into the brake run and there's that final little adjustment to align with the station. For a second or two it really seems like you're just going to keep on going!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am

ZeroGravity55 wrote:The little jolt into the MCBR and when you come out of the last barrel roll in and get thrown to the right with a quick jolt. To me, those aren't rough or out of place though. Honestly it feels like Alan Schilke did those on purpose to find a way to throw some laterals into the ride.

To me, that part especially comes across as a design flaw IMO. It doesn't feel 'right' and doesn't add anything to the ride aside from feel weird and out of place. That is the start of the finale I absolutely hate, though. Nothing good comes out of that part forward on SV :p
-Steve

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:08 pm

I just came across this little gem and I can't stop freaking laughing! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Bigger is not always better.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Invertalon wrote: That is the start of the finale I absolutely hate, though. Nothing good comes out of that part forward on SV :p

+1. The finale is uncomfortable for me. Just like Storm Chaser, which is the only other RMC Hybrid I've ridden.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:26 am

prozach626 wrote:
Invertalon wrote: That is the start of the finale I absolutely hate, though. Nothing good comes out of that part forward on SV :p

+1. The finale is uncomfortable for me. Just like Storm Chaser, which is the only other RMC Hybrid I've ridden.

Yeah, I agree on Storm Chaser. After that corkscrew or barrel roll, whatever you want to call it, it is just uncomfortable and borderline annoying. Sucks, because again, the front half is so damn good!

Same with SV... I really like the ride up until that final barrel roll... The finale completely just kills it for me.

I don't like the feeling i'm on a mechanical bull with those abrupt, tiny bunny hops. It doesn't help that due to my height, my shins are also pinned on those shin restraints and after the few rides on media day I took, my legs were destroyed. Even aside from that though, i'd take longer sustained floaty air over the abrupt ejector any day of the week. No contest!
-Steve

Postby prozach626 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:47 am

It's funny that you compared it to the mechanical bull, because in my last post in another thread I said that I probably wouldn't like bull riding much.

On another note, with gold passes being cheap and parks seeming more crowded than I can remember, it seems like the golden days of consistent walk-on FL+ days might be less likely to happen than they used to be. Even KI had FL+ 10-20 minute lines on my last trip and I always used to boast about everything being consistently less than 5 minutes, despite whether or not it was on a weekend or Haunt.

PreviousNext