Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am

Update: Valravn just re-opened and already has accumulated a 90 minute wait.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Sat May 18, 2019 12:02 pm

rjr19 wrote:Wow. The park is absolutely PACKED. I had to drive to a restaurant off-site because literally every single food line is at least an hour. On the plus side, I got stuck on Valravn’s brake run for 20 minutes and got a skip-the-line pass as payment for being choked by those vest restraints for so long. Valravn has been closed since this incident.

Ouch, we were planning on going today. Looks like that would have been a mess.

Does anyone know how crowds usually are in the middle of June? We would be going on weekdays. Also, how bad does Steel Vengeance's line get on slower days? Is Fastlane worth it on slower days if we'd have two full days in the park?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 18, 2019 5:08 pm

AndrewA86 wrote:Or that with a platinum pass from Kings Island and Worlds of Fun you've been able to get FL+ for the price of regular FL at Cedar Point?

This one.

Whatever a park offers to its own highest-tier season passholders, those are extended to a Platinum passholder from any park in the chain. What those benefits are varies from park to park, but whatever they are, you get 'em.

Thanks for the clarifying question.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat May 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Had a short-ish day at the park today. We never go on Saturdays so it was a more crowded than we typically see this time of year, but definitely nothing like a summer day. Was definitely a FastLane kind of day, but not in the cards for us today. Rode Steel Vengeance twice and it was running amazingly and flying through the end of the course, Maverick twice, Skyhawk, Dragster (this was a tough line... got in line at 10:10am but due to winds it kept rolling back and they were only loading first 3 rows for a long while) -- ended up waiting about 1.5 hrs despite getting there 10 minutes after opening (only the first set of switchbacks was full and that's how long it took... behind us it looked like the ENTIRE queue was filling up). They did eventually start loading more more rows, but then went back down to less again.

Magnum and Gemini both had lines like I've never seen before (we usually only go Sundays in the slow season so normally they are 10min wait max). We didn't even go to the front half of the park (my wife can't do all the rides right now, and I wasn't going to wait after looking at the app times) -- I'll get to them later in the year with FastLane and stay at the park longer or when I have a buddy.

Miss Keets (SP?) BBQ place changed up their menu this year, only 4 things: sausage (I didn't care for it), smoked wings (these looked white, soggy and gross but I didn't have them), turkey leg (a la carte only), and pork ribs. The ribs were tasty but I would definitely hit up Famous Dave's or the new BBQ place next time.

Had a fun time in Frontier Town all day! Millennium Force, Raptor, Gemini, Magnum, Gatekeeper, etc will all have to wait for another visit.

Postby rjr19 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm

So I figured I’d spend a few hours on the park before driving home today. Dragster was down all day, somebody said it broke, but I have a feeling the crazy high winds played a part in its closing. GateKeeper and Raptor closed all day for wind. Anyone know why those two close for wind but many taller rides stay open? Found it a bit strange. Got on Millennium Force and Steel Vengeance today before leaving, SV running as amazing as usual and Millie seemed to be running faster than I’ve usually experienced.

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Postby DarienPoint » Sun May 19, 2019 2:28 pm

^ They might valley more than others, it doesn't depend on the height, there's many other factors.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby coasterbill » Sun May 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Those three coasters go down for high winds off the bay all the time. The entire first half of Gatekeeper would be taken directly into a headwind in these conditions and Raptor’s most valley prone point is approaching the middourse which is a direct headwind.

When the wind is off of the lake, Raptor and Gatekeeper usually run and Magnum goes down instead since it’s most valley prone point is the hill after the first drop. Right now they don’t care since it basically just has a tailwind.

Cedar Point is also really conservative with wind, they’re not “Fiesta Texas” strict but they’re pretty strict.

Postby rjr19 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:31 pm

coasterbill wrote:Those three coasters go down for high winds off the bay all the time. The entire first half of Gatekeeper would be taken directly into a headwind in these conditions and Raptor’s most valley prone point is approaching the middourse which is a direct headwind.

When the wind is off of the lake, Raptor and Gatekeeper usually run and Magnum goes down instead since it’s most valley prone point is the hill after the first drop. Right now they don’t care since it basically just has a tailwind.

Cedar Point is also really conservative with wind, they’re not “Fiesta Texas” strict but they’re pretty strict.

Now that I’m thinking of it, Manum was closed earlier in the day for an hour or two. Wind changed direction later in the day I assume, because it opened up around noon. So did Gemini as well.

Another thing I noticed: is WindSeeker ever open anymore? Yesterday the winds seemed fine, Sky Ride was open, yet WindSeeker was closed the whole day. Same thing all 3 days I was there last year.

Postby coasterbill » Sun May 19, 2019 4:42 pm

It’s probably closed for staffing but I’m prepared to be wrong. I know Sky Ride was closed for staffing all last week.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Zand » Mon May 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Arrived last night for a 2.5 day trip. Was pouring when I rolled in so didn't head into the park until 6, but in the 2 hours I had I got in 4 rides on MF, 2 on SV, and 1 on Maverick. Waited 3 trains for a front row ride on MF, won't ever see that again.

Today I got a total of 10 rides in 11 hours. Park was packed with school groups and with a lot of coasters down at various points of the day, lots of long lines. Gatekeeper and Raptor never opened. TTD opened around 5:00. SV opened after 11. Got rides on Magnum, Wicked Twister, Gemini, Mine Ride, Skyhawk, Rougarou, Iron Dragon, Blue Streak, Valravn, and TTD.

Wish I bought FL+ today, but started the day thinking no one would be there, then once it was crowded I figured the school groups would be gone by 3, then when they didn't, it just got too late to justify buying one. SV and Valravn were consistently showing lines over 2 hours when they were open. MF, Maverick, and Blue Streak were 60+ mins all day and everything else was 30+ until after 6:00 so didn't get the dead Monday in May I was hoping for. Pet the Goats: The Ride had no wait though so that was nice.

Will be in the park 9-4 tomorrow, hoping for a better day line wise. Hopefully Raptor and Gatekeeper will be open (Raptor started testing at the end of the day today) and some of the other stuff has more uptime.
Coaster Count: 86
Top 10: S:RoS (SFNE), Boulder Dash, Villain, Cyclone (SFNE), Apollo's Chariot, Storm Runner, Millennium Force, Wildcat (HP), Yankee Cannonball, Talon

PreviousNext