Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 33 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby JJLehto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:^ Website says January 24th, 2019

Source:
https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/coastermania

Whoa, tomorrow! Thanks! Glad I checked back just in time.

As for where to stay I havent been on site since HS when we went on family vacations aka the parents were paying :lmao:
On my own I usually do breakers express, at least in my experience was solidly cheaper but with all the perks and only slightly less convenient. Thought for first timers I always recommend staying on site, theres nothing like it.
All I know is I wont repeat my mistake of waiting too long. Last time nothing was near by that was remotely affordable, was strapped for cash, and I ended up getting a motel in Loraine. Wouldnt recommend esp for an event and had to leave at 515 am!
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am

I'm still curious if anyone can tall me about how the crowds typically are the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. We're looking to go on the Sunday and Monday after Memorial Day weekend. 06/09 and 06/10. We're going to get FL+ regardless, but I was wondering what kind of use I could somewhat expect to get out of it.

I've used FL+ at the end of June, which resulted in sometimes half hour waits. But, I've used it in March where almost everything was walk-on or less than 10-15 minutes. Can I expect something in the middle, or is it going to be typical mid-summer waits where everything will be about a half hour, as it was in late June? I think we even waited 45 minutes to an hour for TTD that year.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am

prozach626 wrote:I'm still curious if anyone can tall me about how the crowds typically are the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. We're looking to go on the Sunday and Monday after Memorial Day weekend. 06/09 and 06/10. We're going to get FL+ regardless, but I was wondering what kind of use I could somewhat expect to get out of it.

I've used FL+ at the end of June, which resulted in sometimes half hour waits. But, I've used it in March where almost everything was walk-on or less than 10-15 minutes. Can I expect something in the middle, or is it going to be typical mid-summer waits where everything will be about a half hour, as it was in late June? I think we even waited 45 minutes to an hour for TTD that year.

The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 pm

prozach626 wrote:I'm still curious if anyone can tall me about how the crowds typically are the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. We're looking to go on the Sunday and Monday after Memorial Day weekend. 06/09 and 06/10. We're going to get FL+ regardless, but I was wondering what kind of use I could somewhat expect to get out of it.

You shouldn't worry too much. If memory serves me correctly that should be like some of the best days to use fastlane. The park will be crowded enough for it to feel worth it but the fastlane lines shouldn't get above 15ish minutes... Except Steel Vengeance. That'll probably still be like 45 minutes.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

^ I went to Coastermania in 2016 and 2018 and with the exception of the new rides (Valravn in 16, SV in 18) which can generate large crowds, sometimes coasters like the three big Intamins will draw lines of 45-60 minutes, but everything else almost never gets past 20 minutes, sometimes not even that; most of the coasters will be walk-on. You should be fine.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Memorial Day weekend is May 25-27, with Memorial Day being the 27th. It always falls on the last Monday of May, not the last day of the month. The following weekend would be the 1st-2nd and Monday the 3rd should be a great "slow" day there. That weekend should be manageable in comparison to Memorial Day or 4th Of July. The weekend after that should still be as well, especially on that Monday (June 10th).

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

The first couple of weeks in June are not that bad, on weekdays at least. I was there June 11-13 (M-W) this past year and it was pretty slow compared to what I expected. I walked on most of the coasters over those 3 days. The only exceptions were Steel Vengeance (45-55 min waits, but did Early Entry and early evening as it was 2-3 hours generally between those times) and Millennium Force (30-45 min waits). The longest I waited for Maverick was 15 minutes, but walked on the first try. I even almost walked on TTD with a 3-4 train wait each time. That was likely due to timing as I would just happen to be near when it would open...lol
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 am

bgtlover wrote:

Memorial Day weekend is May 25-27, with Memorial Day being the 27th. It always falls on the last Monday of May, not the last day of the month. The following weekend would be the 1st-2nd and Monday the 3rd should be a great "slow" day there. That weekend should be manageable in comparison to Memorial Day or 4th Of July. The weekend after that should still be as well, especially on that Monday (June 10th).

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

The first couple of weeks in June are not that bad, on weekdays at least. I was there June 11-13 (M-W) this past year and it was pretty slow compared to what I expected. I walked on most of the coasters over those 3 days. The only exceptions were Steel Vengeance (45-55 min waits, but did Early Entry and early evening as it was 2-3 hours generally between those times) and Millennium Force (30-45 min waits). The longest I waited for Maverick was 15 minutes, but walked on the first try. I even almost walked on TTD with a 3-4 train wait each time. That was likely due to timing as I would just happen to be near when it would open...lol

Aren't the first few weeks of June a time that school is in session? I could see it being pretty dead, because you'd be a pretty irresponsible parent to pull your kids from school when Finals are coming up and you're only a couple of weeks ago away to the summer. As I was saying before, just study the local school calendar and try to go when school is in session. You might hit some field trips unfortunately, but if its ever going to be dead and full of other fellow enthusiasts its going to be when school is in session.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am

Yeah, from what I've gathered here is that early June, especially during the week, will be an excellent time to go.
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Aren't the first few weeks of June a time that school is in session? I could see it being pretty dead, because you'd be a pretty irresponsible parent to pull your kids from school when Finals are coming up and you're only a couple of weeks ago away to the summer. As I was saying before, just study the local school calendar and try to go when school is in session. You might hit some field trips unfortunately, but if its ever going to be dead and full of other fellow enthusiasts its going to be when school is in session.

It depends on the school system. Sandusky (OH) City Schools last day is May 31st with their high school Graduation on June 2nd. I live in Alachua County (here in FL) and our last day is May 31st also. Most around the country seem to be through before Memorial Day or the week of depending on where they are. I do know there are some who go through the 2nd week of June also.
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:

The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

Yeah... I know that once school is out parks tend to be more crowded. I also know that when school is in session that parks can also be crowded from school groups, which I would rather avoid. I would imagine that some periods of the month may be worse than others, which is why I'm asking for input from more frequent CP visitors.

bgtlover wrote:Memorial Day weekend is May 25-27, with Memorial Day being the 27th. It always falls on the last Monday of May, not the last day of the month. The following weekend would be the

Thanks. Would you personally rather go on a Saturday and Sunday in the last week of May, or Sunday and Monday, 06/09 and 06/10? Do you think the crowds will be manageable?

I would 'guess' they'll be better than around the 25th and 26th of June, when we went during Valavn's first year of operation. I think we may have been at the park on Friday or Saturday, the week before the 4th of July. I can't remember the exact days and dates. I'd rather avoid crowds like that.

Thanks for the help, guys. We're bringing two first timers. That being the case, I'm trying to make sure they have a great experience. Thanks for being patient during the dreaded and redundant "Will the park be busy on X day" questions.

PreviousNext