Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: coasterbill, HavenHamilton, operative_me and 29 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Vonni » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am

I'm one of the few enthusiasts that do not desire kiddie credits. I haven't been on a kiddie coaster since I was....a kiddie.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm

^ I would hope the people that do go out of their way to go on these things and get special passes and feel the need to ride kiddie rides are in the minority... -- I don't get it either. A family ride is one thing, but a ride that requires a kid to go on and you don't have any kids?....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience outweighs anything else including price.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

But that being said, I certainly support anyone staying on site and supporting the park. I'm not a cheapskate myself, but I appreciate a good deal. If anyone wants to full CP experience I fully support it, and I support people supporting my #1 park in the world.

but you can’t just walk back to the room, drop a deuce in a private and clean toilet and be back to your day. that’s the best part for me. LOL

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm

coasterlvr wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I we
nt once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience outweighs anything else including price.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

But that being said, I certainly support anyone staying on site and supporting the park. I'm not a cheapskate myself, but I appreciate a good deal. If anyone wants to full CP experience I fully support it, and I support people supporting my #1 park in the world.

but you can’t just walk back to the room, drop a deuce in a private and clean toilet and be back to your day. that’s the best part for me. LOL

Quote of the day
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Postby bert425 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:^ I would hope the people that do go out of their way to go on these things and get special passes and feel the need to ride kiddie rides are in the minority... -- I don't get it either. A family ride is one thing, but a ride that requires a kid to go on and you don't have any kids?....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you weren't talking to folks like me specifically, but willing to explain why I got on it:

I only rode it because adults were able to during nightime ERT during Coastermania! 2017.

otherwise, I don't understand the effort to go on it either.. I mean, I know it's the first Intamin. . or something like that. but yeah, if it wasn't open for adults during the latenight ERT? I wouldn't have bothered with it :p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm

I think parks requiring kids to go on rides is getting more and more rare. I believe that when this happens its due to capacity issues. When there's no lines for a kiddie coaster, they'll usually waive this rule, if there even is a rule for it. In my experience, the kiddie coasters are usually walk-ons unless the parks is incredibly crowded... or the capacity is just unprecedentedly terrible - like those single rail suspended coasters that you only saw at IOA and KI.

In my mind, if there's little to no wait for a coaster, I want to get on it. Not just for the credit, but for the experience of doing everything that I paid for. And as I was saying, somethings the coasters are kinda fun too. I probably wouldn't bother if the line was long and/or if the park used a pay per ride model.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 pm

[quote="ytterbiumanalyst]
They moved Brews and BBQ later too, maybe they're having problems staffing early season events like that..[/quote]

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/frontier-festival

By the sounds of the website it looks like it's going to be less focused on food & alcohol and more focused on entertainment :(

They are renaming it to "frontier festival", and it says there will be "dozens" of beverages to sample... they had a whole lot more than that before! I guess we'll find out more soon, maybe I shouldn't speak too soon. They had a good thing going.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Vonni wrote:I'm one of the few enthusiasts that do not desire kiddie credits. I haven't been on a kiddie coaster since I was....a kiddie.

I’m with you, but I wasn’t always this way. For me, I guess I just matured into making this hobby something that I completely don’t take seriously. I think there are a lot of us who skip coasters they could care less about, unless it’s completely convenient. I spent two days at Hershey and laugh track was never convenient. I missed an indoor copy of a coaster type that has done very little for me. Big deal.

There are a lot of people who don’t really know where they are in their coaster count. If it weren’t for coastercounter.com, I would be clueless. I usually forget to enter my coasters until weeks later. When I hit my 200 I had no idea which coaster it was on, but I know I was at Hershey. It’s neat, but it means nothing. It’s not synonymous with the amount of fun I’ve had during this hobby compared to someone who has hit 300. I always enjoy 2nd day or revisits the most.

I like that you’re casual about it. It’s a good thing. No one likes an overzealous hobbyist of any type. Even in ice hockey we laugh at people who take it way too seriously. They’re the dudes who always suck, but they yell coaching advice from the bench. They keep track of how many goals they score in pickup hockey and recreation league sessions.

I can imagine how much it must suck to work with a coaster fanboy when you’re a regular guy who makes the mistake of asking them how their trip was or what roller coaster is their favorite.

bgtlover wrote:I was denied such a pass for Wilderness Run. They said they only give those in clear cases where an adult has special needs.

This probably should have been embarrassing. Just reason #1291 not to go to coastermania or hardcore enthusiast events. I was weirded out enough at Coastercampout, but there was little involvement with the group.

coasterlvr wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience of outweighs anything else including price.

Amen to that.
Last edited by prozach626 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 pm.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:12 pm

*sorry for the double post*

We 'WERE' on the fence about going to Coaster Campout, since it's been moved to the weekend before the 4th of July. Coaster Campout is Saturday and Sunday, with Independence day landing on the following Thursday. I think both the weekend before has almost as much potential as being absolutely fffcked (packed) as the weekend after. We went a couple years ago on the Friday/Sat a week or so before July 4th and it we waited 45 minutes for Dragster with FL+. Everything else was 20 or so minutes, but with me being used to KI-Type park FL+ perks, it was kind of a shocker.

Emily and I talked it over about maybe going to CP on our own terms in early June. Last year when we went in mid May for Coaster Campout, the longest we waited was about 15 minutes for the top tier rides, using FL+. I'm a spoiled rotten little bitch FL+ user. I want to pay for it. I want to get the most out of it. We've opted for either a Saturday and Sunday, or after brainstorming, maybe a Sunday and Monday. The reasoning is that Emily is going to have to take off two days in each scenario, so why not the days it will be less busy? Coaster nerd common sense will tell you that Sunday and Monday will be less busy. Right, right? My question is that will we be able to get some pretty good use out of our FL+ on a Sunday and Monday the week 'after' Memorial Day weekend? Memorial Day is Thursday (05/31). I know for sure the weekend following Independence Day will be a shit show. We're contemplating going the following Sat (06/08) - Sun (06/09), or the following Sun and Mon (06/10). Looking for some input. We'll be staying at breakers, because as a user stated previously, you can go back to your hotel and take a dump. Maybe even a post dump shower.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Pedrinho » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:15 am

anonymouscactus wrote:^ I would hope the people that do go out of their way to go on these things and get special passes and feel the need to ride kiddie rides are in the minority... -- I don't get it either. A family ride is one thing, but a ride that requires a kid to go on and you don't have any kids?....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'll.. I can see your point.
But when we were there after eight ours flight to Newark and a thousand miles road trip through the northwest over eleven days Wilderness Run was the first coaster we came along that didn't have a huge line this afternoon, so it was the first coaster we came to a cedar point. We didn't know that it was kids only (though we surely knew that it was a kiddy coaster, but in Germnay you can ride them as an adult alone), so we asked the ride OP politely if we could ride and she told us "no", asked where we came from and after a short, nice dialogue she advised us to ask for the possibility to ride in town hall. So we did that some hours later.
So yeah, somehow credit whoring. But no as a matter of principle, just because the situation led to it. In Kings Island and Knoebels we didn't di the kiddy coasters and didn't ask about a possibility.
But we also knew it was riddiculous and even made the jokes about our special needs then! ;)
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Red Force|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|HersheyparkImage

PreviousNext