Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4652: Details of new additions coming for the 2019 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 30 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Too Slow For Comfort

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

prozach626 wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
prozach626 wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:.. possible even just go back to the hotel/Airbnb and just chill, nap, eat, get work done, etc.

Best advice ever and it's better than our usual lunch/short nap in the car. It's just one more reason why Hotel Breakers is awesome.

What, you don't like the idea of taking your laptop, answering your boss's emails, responding to clients, and getting a head start on some work during the day?

Damn. You sound like my wife. :( I'd still have to take care of all of that after the aforementioned lunch and nap. Basically, I'd have about three hours in the park in the morning and three at night...

Personally, I have a no work policy when I leave the office. I work pretty hard and work some long hours... in my office, but I think that you create the precedent that you want to at work. If you're available 24/7 to your boss and your clients, they abuse you. If you make it clear that you do what you need to in order to get the job done, but you have 9-5 M-F hours for communication, they get the picture and never grade you down for it if you add a lot of value to them.

I'd never even think of doing work when I'm supposed to be riding coasters. But that being said, I'd just chill in the hotel/Airbnb and enjoy myself while everyone else is waiting 90 minutes for stuff I was spamming rides on a few hours before.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 pm

^ I agree. I also carry the same policy, but I am not salaried...I'm hourly.

Once I leave to go on vacation, I will bring and check my work phone daily. If there is a crisis, I call my co-workers to handle it while I'm out of the office and I do the same for them when they are on vacation. It really works well.

I deal with enough stress at work that I really need that time to unwind. I really feel for those that don't or can't do that.

I have several salaried friends that work at the corporate offices that are in that boat. I think that it's sad that they can't even go on vacations with their families without checking their email/phone every 5 minutes, or calling in for a teleconference 3-4 times a day.

But then again, they are raking in about double of what my salary is...so there is that, I suppose. :lol:

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 am

Philrad71 wrote:^ I agree. I also carry the same policy, but I am not salaried...I'm hourly.

Once I leave to go on vacation, I will bring and check my work phone daily. If there is a crisis, I call my co-workers to handle it while I'm out of the office and I do the same for them when they are on vacation. It really works well.

I deal with enough stress at work that I really need that time to unwind. I really feel for those that don't or can't do that.

I have several salaried friends that work at the corporate offices that are in that boat. I think that it's sad that they can't even go on vacations with their families without checking their email/phone every 5 minutes, or calling in for a teleconference 3-4 times a day.

But then again, they are raking in about double of what my salary is...so there is that, I suppose. :lol:

Completely sad. The parents spend all of their time making money and then the little kiddies spend it all. What makes me the most sick is when I see families at parks where the parents stand to the side and watch the kiddies ride what are actually pretty good rides. It should be the other way around.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Not wanting to bring my work home was one of the reasons I put in a transfer request from our detectives bureau. To stay relatively on topic, I had the opportunity to transfer to a police department where the community was much more quiet and the department was smaller. However, I found out my vacation/comp time was going to go from nearly six weeks to three weeks after five years. It all came with a small pay cut, but I work in a somewhat rough city, so it was still tempting. However, when we were at coaster campout and I was still trying to decide, I realized how much fun I was having and how little we cared about spending the extra money for two days of FL +, Fun Pix, and anything else we wanted.

In the end, I chose happiness outside of work, having more vacation and more money to spend. As a result, I stayed where I was. It also comes with less work on my days off, since a smaller department has to be more involved, with less support divisions. When I'm not at work, I don't think about work. Much of my decision was influenced by the great care free time we were having at Cedar Point. Although sometimes, I still regret the decision, when we're going from one violent call to the next on Saturday nights in the summer.

Postby thrillrider » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Interesting find on Facebook marketplace. Pretty cheap as well.
Screenshot_20190110-225046_Facebook.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby AndrewA86 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 pm

The whole ride? I'll take it and set it up in my backyard...

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 am

That's one of those things than within the first few seconds you think that would be a pretty cool thing to have. Shortly after, you wonder wtf you'd do with it.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Completely sad. The parents spend all of their time making money and then the little kiddies spend it all. What makes me the most sick is when I see families at parks where the parents stand to the side and watch the kiddies ride what are actually pretty good rides. It should be the other way around.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am

prozach626 wrote:That's one of those things than within the first few seconds you think that would be a pretty cool thing to have. Shortly after, you wonder wtf you'd do with it.

Agreed. I was thinking $325 is actually pretty cheap for an old vehicle. I could see an old coaster car being used as an oddball chair in a living room, but the Enterprise vehicles would have an obstructed view while also being sort of uncomfortable.

I have no doubt someone will jump on this though.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Global Village

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Pedrinho » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
prozach626 wrote:That's one of those things than within the first few seconds you think that would be a pretty cool thing to have. Shortly after, you wonder wtf you'd do with it.

Agreed. I was thinking $325 is actually pretty cheap for an old vehicle. I could see an old coaster car being used as an oddball chair in a living room, but the Enterprise vehicles would have an obstructed view while also being sort of uncomfortable.

I have no doubt someone will jump on this though.

Isn't this price meant for the whole flat ride?
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Black Mamba; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|HersheyparkImage

PreviousNext