Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: djcoastermark and 33 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby CP Maverick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:53 pm

larrygator wrote:
defrocker wrote:My family is considering taking a trip to Cedar Point next year. They could be about 10 people on this trip. Lodging could be a bit of a challenge. Does anyone have any experience with Lighthouse Point? I figure that would probably be a better option than just hotels. Any advice/experience with these "cabins?"

I'm staying in one of the smaller cabins in early August with other TPRers who are also well traveled. I'll be posting about the accomodation after returning. I have wanted to stay in the cabins for years, but my family never wants to travel at the same time as me.

I love staying at the cabins. For several years my friends and I would get a cabin for the 2nd week of Halloweekends. We’ve had up to 9 people together. It costs more but I love the privacy of my own building.
Original Maverick '99

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby DavidB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 am

CP Maverick wrote:
larrygator wrote:
defrocker wrote:My family is considering taking a trip to Cedar Point next year. They could be about 10 people on this trip. Lodging could be a bit of a challenge. Does anyone have any experience with Lighthouse Point? I figure that would probably be a better option than just hotels. Any advice/experience with these "cabins?"

I'm staying in one of the smaller cabins in early August with other TPRers who are also well traveled. I'll be posting about the accomodation after returning. I have wanted to stay in the cabins for years, but my family never wants to travel at the same time as me.

I love staying at the cabins. For several years my friends and I would get a cabin for the 2nd week of Halloweekends. We’ve had up to 9 people together. It costs more but I love the privacy of my own building.

I've done Breakers, Sandcastle, and Lighthouse Point. I liked Lighthouse Point the best. I will agree with Maverick that it is very nice to have your own "building." You have less worry about disturbing others if you're up late having a good time or whatever. The other thing I've noticed, at least when I've looked this season, is that the options at Lighthouse Point are cheaper than Breakers, especially when you take the capacity of the options into account. Breakers is probably "nicer" and you don't get daily housekeeping at LP, but for taking a large group of people it seems like Lighthouse Point would work better. Whether you all packed into one 10 person capacity deluxe cabin or got adjacent cottages, I'd prefer that to hotel, and should be cheaper than Breakers.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm

As much as I love staying "on-property", I have to throw out a recommendation for AirBnB (and I'm not one to usually stay in them). Sandusky only recently (as in last year or two) started to allow vacation rentals and there are tons of great options for good prices. Myself along with some friends just rented a house down Chaussee (the "other" causeway to the park) a few weekends back. The cost per night was less than the deluxe cabins at Lighthouse Point and our house was probably 2,000 square feet, had 8 beds, deck, full kitchen, etc. It was maybe a 5 minute drive tops from the park. There are other rentals closer to the park (including some of the houses you see when in the parking lot) that are a little smaller but still around that 400-500 a night price point (which is cheaper in many cases than Lighthouse Point). Downtown Sandusky also has some great condos on the water that we looked at renting opting to be closer to the park but that might be an option.

As for Lighthouse Point itself - while it does what it needs to do and are not bad, they are very small, including the deluxe cabin. My family group of 8 last year felt really tight in the deluxe cabin. The disappointing piece was that there was no area big enough to seat more than 6 people to gather around to eat, drink or play a game. Hence why we went with the AirBnB this year. Honestly the walk back to some of the cabins was almost just as long, if not longer than what it took to drive the half a mile to our AirBnB rental.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip here and we stayed at Breakers. It's pricey, but nice being able to enter the park from essentially the back door of the hotel. We spent three days here and had three days worth of park tickets. Much less expensive than a one day ticket plus flash pass plus! We were able to ride nearly all their coasters first day due to the midnight hours.. the "big" coasters all had thirty minutes or less wait asside from Maverick and Steel Vengeance. We rode both of those on our second day using our early ride times and got both of those ridden before 10:00am.. Spent most of that day on the lake actually! Very nice having a lake beside the park and the beach is wonderful with all the activities they had! On our third day we rode mostly flats and just hung out before leaving early afternoon to come home..

Ride ops were great! It's nice not having to slam a huge park like that into one day. Breakers is a very nice hotel, Bright and modern.

We loved Steel Vengeance and I think my wife like Wiked Twister the best along with Valravn. I think my favorite was probably Maverick. Overall great trip and nice park! We have been planning to visit this park for years but never have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm

We are going back for three days in august this time taking the whole family and staying at Castaway Bay. Can't wait.

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

I wanted to stay at castaway bay but my wife was like, who needs a water park when the great lake is right outside. Maybe next time we will stay at castaway bay because it was a little less expensive plus I think it would be nice.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

dstephe9 wrote:who needs a water park when the great lake is right outside.

People who prefer chlorine in their water more than parasites/amoebas/fish poop! Oh, and water slides. ;)

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Haha I grew up on a nasty lake so none of that bothers me. Quick shower after a swim and I'm good to go. No brain eating parasites yet *knock on wood*

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm

dstephe9 wrote:Haha I grew up on a nasty lake so none of that bothers me. Quick shower after a swim and I'm good to go. No brain eating parasites yet *knock on wood*

With Global Warming, it's only a matter of time till the water in the great lakes is warm enough for the amoebas! ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm

dstephe9 wrote:Haha I grew up on a nasty lake so none of that bothers me. Quick shower after a swim and I'm good to go. No brain eating parasites yet *knock on wood*

Blue green algae is a huge problem in the lakes around here, including Lake Erie. Unfortunately, a lot of the beaches on Lake Erie (between Erie and Buffalo) are closed more than they are open due to high amounts of bacteria in the water. The later in the summer and the warmer the lakes get, the worse the algae and bacteria get. You hit it at the right time where bacteria levels were likely low.

I had a co-worker friend that almost died from ingesting water in our lake while water-skiing a few years ago, so it's definitely a risk that you take if you want to go lake swimming around here anymore.

I used to swim in Lake Erie all the time when I was growing up, but not anymore. I'm with Elissa in that I would rather swim in chlorinated water and do water slides than take the risk, but that's just me.

I'm glad that you and your wife had a great time at CP and got to enjoy the beach though!

PreviousNext