Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: MrFurious and 31 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Domm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 pm

At the park for my first time last night and today. Lots of walk ons like the oldies and maxair but the rest have substantial lines and it would be a nightmare without FL+. The early entry with platinum/hotel was extremely important for steel vengeance. Even running at 9 got us on train 3 and then the line was about 60 minutes. Crazy! Fast lane doesn’t open until 10. We went back to SV at 10:10 and FL was 30 minutes. By the time we got off it was way longer. Gotta get there early for SV for early entry and then right when FL opens otherwise you’re SOL and wasting time in line that could be spent having fun otherwise.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Any rumblings as to what could be coming to CP for 2019?

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mossed » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Vonni wrote:Any rumblings as to what could be coming to CP for 2019?

Absolutely no clue. Everyone seems to have their eye on 2020.

Seems like new dorms would be the safest bet.
Top 10 - 1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Intimidator 305 3.) Maverick. 4.) Lightning Rod 5.) Fury325 6.) Phoenix 7.) Twisted Colossus 8.) Taron 9.) Millennium Force 10.) Expedition GeForce

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BiggestBear » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:01 am

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on Brownie Bandit ice cream? I don't live in Ohio.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 am

thrillrider wrote:Looks like cedarpoint was talked about on Jimmy Kimmel last night...

https://youtu.be/K0suaXlp-NI via @YouTube

10/10 Best trip report ever.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby wbprecision » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:06 am

Hi, after a decade plus of wanting to visit Cedar Point I finally had my first experience last week! I thought I'd share a little bit about my trip along with some pictures. We stayed at Hotel Breakers July 4th through July 7th (2 days in the park).

I was hesitant at staying at Hotel Breakers at first because of the price, especially since it was July 4th week and it was extra expensive. But it is worth every penny, you can't beat the location and convenience of being able to go back to your room any time throughout the day while at the park. The hotel room itself was mediocre, our toilet flush didn't work the entire time even after maintenance came and 'fixed' it and there was also ants on our bathroom floor. Other than that the rest of the hotel/resort was nice. We had meals at the Perkins and TGI Fridays at the hotel and also ordered Pizza in from Domino's for lunch one of the days. Also an added benefit of staying at Hotel Breakers was the July 4th firework show on the beach which was great.

First day at the park we got to the Magnum entrance around 10am and went straight for Steel Vengeance. The line took almost 2 hours! Initially we were only going to get fast lane on Friday, but after this wait we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better as we were able to take our time and really enjoy other parts of the park. Overall Cedar Point exceeded my expectations and the atmosphere and number of high quality rides was incredible, definitely looking forward to my next visit. Here was my total coaster count in order of my favorite to least favorite:

6 x Steel Vengeance
2 x Maverick
2 x Millennium Force
2 x Top Thrill Dragster
3 x Valravn
1 x Raptor
2 x Gatekeeper
1 x Rougarou
1 x Magnum XL 200
1 x Gemini
1 × Wicked Twister
1 x Corkscrew
1 × Blue Streak
1 x Cedar Creek Mine Ride
0 x Iron Dragon (For some reason this ride didn't have a fast pass line and the wait was always 45+ min)

On to some pictures:
a.JPG
Hotel Breakers had a nice boardwalk with convenient park entrances on each end
aa.JPG
Great views from the beach, they had different beach activities/games going on throughout the day
b.JPG
Loved the historic but modern feel of Hotel Breakers
c.JPG
Cool rotunda with 'floating' lights in the hotel
d.JPG
Our hotel room view, could get used to waking up to this view :)
e.JPG
Steel Vengeance was amazing, my favorite element was the outward banked airtime filled turn
f.JPG
Front row on Millennium Force provided a much better ride than the middle of the train, loved this coaster
g.JPG
Great to see Coasters restaurant! Used to work at the one at Valleyfair
h.JPG
The first drop in the front left seat of this ride was amazing, the rest of the ride is fun too although not as intense
i.JPG
Gatekeeper is a beautiful looking coaster, really enjoyed the first drop and first half of the ride
j.JPG
Having ridden Kingda Ka, I thought this was smoother and having only a lap bar makes a big difference, you can never really be prepared for this type of launch!
k.JPG
Loved the main midway at Cedar Point, Sky Ride was great, wished it was longer
l.JPG
Loved Maverick but only got to ride it twice since it was down most of the trip, we were unlucky since we also experienced breakdowns at Raptor, Steel Vengeance, TTD, Gemini, and Valravn during our time there.
m.JPG
Really enjoyed visiting the museum and seeing this huge model of Steel Vengeance, can't wait to see it fully complete
n.JPG
Found Magnum XL-200 to be very rough, enjoyed the views of the waterpark from it though
o.JPG
Very scenic trail from the boardwalk alongside Magnum XL 200
p.JPG
Nothing beats a night ride on Steel Vengeance in the last row, absolutely crazy!

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby gp1086 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Great report and sounds like an awesome trip after so much time in the making. You got a ton of rides on Steel Vengeance.

For those of you on the fence about staying at the Hotel Breakers, I cannot emphasize enough that it’s worth the extra cost (assuming you can afford it), if you are going on a busy day. The early entry to the park is unbeatable.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Vonni wrote:Any rumblings as to what could be coming to CP for 2019?

They are adding an extra 2,000 ft of track length to Top Thrill Dragster. How have you not heard???
Bigger is not always better.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm

wbprecision wrote:we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better

wbprecision wrote:we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better

Something I say all the time and people still try to argue with me on this. I cannot stress enough....

If you are not a 'local' to the park, and you are visiting Cedar Point on an infrequent basis, you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting Fast Lane. I get that it is expensive, but your time is worth it.

Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby trainplane3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Looks like I'm stuck going the opening Halloweekends this year thanks to my wonky schedule combined with my friends vacations around that time. At the very least, I can expect to get a crap ton of rides in on Friday. Looking forward to SV!

PreviousNext