Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 25 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby inlina » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Used to be a mechanic at a couple theme parks, track walking and finding a weld crack to fix for a ride that's going to open the same day is really just par for the course.

Exactly.

I also hear that CP is placing bamboo gardens strategically around Lighthouse Point for both aesthetic and functional purposes. Not sure how the bamboo structural additions will go with the wild west theme of Steel Vengeance though. ;)

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Out of curiosity, do any of our resident park employees know if they have gotten the parts needed to put Blackjack on the track to start getting cycles?
Original Maverick '99

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:16 pm

^ I can't speak for crucial parts, but I can tell you that as of this past Wednesday, Blackjack has yet to have the grab bars that the other 2 trains have. It also appeared that train was no where near ready for cycles.

I also say this, with the way they're operating that ride, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see 3 train operation this season. They're basically disregarding the MCBR and only using it has a trim. The screen that shows if the restraints are locked or not has a 85 second countdown clock on it and they will not dispatch a train until that clock hits 0 even though most of the time they're probably ready to go in 60-70 seconds.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dragsterguy21 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:51 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote:^ I can't speak for crucial parts, but I can tell you that as of this past Wednesday, Blackjack has yet to have the grab bars that the other 2 trains have. It also appeared that train was no where near ready for cycles.

I also say this, with the way they're operating that ride, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see 3 train operation this season. They're basically disregarding the MCBR and only using it has a trim. The screen that shows if the restraints are locked or not has a 85 second countdown clock on it and they will not dispatch a train until that clock hits 0 even though most of the time they're probably ready to go in 60-70 seconds.

They have to wait for the previous train to stop on the brake run basically. The fact that they are ready for dispatch in 60 seconds futher supports the need for 3 train ops. The clock is timed to the previous train arriving back for the most part.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:44 pm

^ Oh I totally agree that it supports the argument for 3 train operation. For them to get to that point, they're gonna have to cycle the Blackjack train and then commission the train, and then they're gonna have to test 3 train operation. This all requires time and they're now entering the time of year where they're open until at least 10 p.m. until August. Do they really wanna take the ride down again for another couple of days to make it happen when they can operate the ride efficiently as it stands? To me, it seems better for them to wait until September/October when they have time to test or maybe even next year to try 3 train operation.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 pm

That's part of the reason I was curious. I'm sure they could cycle it in the morning before the park opens. But it would be really unfortunate if they're stuck with 2 train op in July.
Original Maverick '99

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Comeagain? » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:39 pm

You'd be surprised at how much you can get done in a few hours before the park opens. And the 100 cycles don't have to be continuous.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:I'm not sure which advice is more valuable this year:

Get FL+
Plan your visit later in the season

Or, be like me, ignore that advice (based on almost 40 years of going to the park), and get 10 rides in total before June 2, with a minimal total combined waiting time for all of my rides by going when I know crowds will be low! ;)

bert425 wrote:re: MF

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

2nd to last row, bay-side

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

:nina: Absolutely! 2nd to last row is my go-to as well, and yes, bayside is the better side! Last row is great as well, but with the shorter wait, 2nd to last is my go-to!

CP Maverick wrote:
bert425 wrote:re: MF

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

2nd to last row, bay-side

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

Okay but if you keep telling people that, I won't be able to sneak in behind the 8-2 people who basically block the 9-2 line so no one ever waits for 9-1.

THIS! I love how that row is SO often overlooked, due to the bunch up for the 2nd to last car!

zach8870 wrote:I was at the park all day and Steel Vengeance was operating all day with the exception of a 20 minute hiccup when the chain stopped."

Hmmm... My son was there Friday as well, and said he was in line for over an hour while it was broken down before finally giving up and leaving the line. So it went down for a significant time at some point in the day! (He said it was around Noon-ish.)

prozach626 wrote:
BiggestBear wrote:Do any of you guys know if row 5 on Millennium Force is the best row? I found a documentary on youtube and this guy said so. Usually I'm a back row guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt199Hce5hQ&feature=youtu.be&t=7m26s

Emily and I are not the type of people to typically analyze or car about which exact row we're in, outside of very front or very back. Millennium Force is our only exception so far. We like the second row from the back. It has less of a line from the very back seat and it seems less shaky compared to the very back row for some reason.

:nina:

coasterbill wrote:Millennium Force is spectacular in every seat. It’s the only coaster where people legitimately recommend basically every row on the train as the best.

Anyway, I’ll be in the front row line if you need me.

I love the front as well! But given it almost always carries an additional 30 minute wait (a full queue for the front), I usually pass to get more rides in the back!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.The Voyage 6.Twisted Timbers 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 am

There are a ton of Cedar Point reviews being done this year with Steel Vengeance. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in my review that would include the Run and Ride series over the weekend and Brews and BBQ this year.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby CoasterInk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:37 am

Ape wrote:There are a ton of Cedar Point reviews being done this year with Steel Vengeance. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in my review that would include the Run and Ride series over the weekend and Brews and BBQ this year.

A review of Brew and BBQ would be much appreciated! I've been trying to figure out whether or not its worth it.

PreviousNext