Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: jonlocke, Mossed and 28 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby PennStater » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:48 am

Hey guys, question... does anyone know how much they charge for the "discount" tickets at the Express Hotel? I have it booked Sunday night for a park visit Sunday. From what I understand, you can stop at the hotel that morning before you even check in and get discount tickets, is that correct? I'm just wondering whether they're a better deal than what I can get online. I'm just looking for single day single park tickets. Would this also get me early access?

Thanks for any help!
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 am

coasterbill wrote:
Anyway, I’ll be in the front row line if you need me.

See ya there! :cool:

It's one of those rides that I was stuck in the back seat year over year, not wanting to wait the extra front seat queue. But then one year it all changed! What a rush.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am

I'll buzz past you guys for the shorter line in the 2nd row. I can see over the front anyway. :lmao:
Original Maverick '99

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:46 am

Btw....
$20 off coupons on burger king large cups. Not a bad deal for those without season passes.
20180609_144352.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby hendrixmarshalljames » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Just got back from a monster coaster trip...We usually go mid to late season and I have to say the beginning of a season ROCKS.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Very close to making the trek and seeing lots of rain in the forecast during our visit. That won't stop me from riding, tho I've been weary about any sudden storms wanting to approach.

regardless, I'm stoked!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Midgetman82 wrote:Very close to making the trek and seeing lots of rain in the forecast during our visit. That won't stop me from riding...

Um...do you know which park you're going to? ;)

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby joelwee » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 pm

I just got back from a coaster trip a few days ago, during which I visited CP, Kennywood, and KI for the first time. I spent a couple of days at CP, one of those days being CoasterMania. I'll post a TR sometime in the next week, but for now, I'll just say I had a great time. I do believe this is my new favorite park.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby inlina » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 am

Coaster19 wrote:thinking they have engineering degrees. Like you said, all we know it is fine and like you said it is not uncommon to see additional supports after it opens.

But I do have one...oh wait I didn't chime in and now I am untimely. I do think it's funny when people post videos of a structure deflecting under load and assume it's failing. Those people may not want to get in a plane, car or tall building. That's not to say that sometimes engineers get it wrong.

From the engineering world I come from, sometimes from computer modelling (CAE) we get 'computer says yes'. Then we test physical parts and 'physical world says close, by try a little harder'. At that stage it's not so much about safety but more about longer term reliability. If they are changing or adding to the structure now it is likely that it is going to save them in the long run.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby SteVeUrkle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:09 am

One things for sure: if the ride is running, there's nothing to be concerned about. Cedar Point takes safety on their coasters VERY seriously.

Invertalon wrote:However, this is a retrofit.

Makes no difference.

Invertalon wrote:The wood that was used on much of the existing structure is 27 years old. Weathered, in use for many years. Likely, the structural properties of that wood has changed from the “norm”. Unless they pulled out wood in use and had it tested to reinforce their calculations, they could only estimate per-say the properties given the material.

It would be pretty far fetched to think they ignored pulling out and testing the wood. They replaced any of it that needed replacing. If you look closely at the vast structure while waiting in line you can see very very random spots where new wood was replaced, where bolts were removed, re-drilled, re-fastened. Even in places where you wouldn't even think it mattered. It wouldn't surprise me if they inspected EVERY SINGLE PIECE of wood and bolt on the entire structure, seeing as they had 2 years for the retrofit. Not to mention I would bet the steel track has made the structure *stronger* rather than weaker. They practically took I-beams and permanently fastened the entire thing together.

Invertalon wrote:Overbuilding is expensive and often unnecessary. Now that (at least it is assumed) the structure is deflecting more than anticipated, they will find ways to reinforce it from causing damage long-term, or worse, critical failure.

Not sure if they were always there, but there were definitely cables attached to the section of the structure where the first inversion starts to where it goes through the lift hill. That section was really swaying pretty good, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary for a wooden supported coaster. One thing I'm not sure about with RMC's is if they weld the track after bolting it? That's one thing I can think of which would be a problem with so much flexing, you might see some welding cracks, and in that case they might be up on lifts getting those repaired. Or to check the gauge spacing between track pieces. I would not doubt that they track walk the entire structure 7 sections at a time throughout the entire 7 day week.

Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Used to be a mechanic at a couple theme parks, track walking and finding a weld crack to fix for a ride that's going to open the same day is really just par for the course.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

PreviousNext