Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm

I never stayed at Sandcastle Suites, but to say the least, the Tripadvisor reviews of the place didn't exactly live up to the Ouimet-era standard. It definitely looked like a blemish on the very positive record they've been creating, so this news is no surprise.

Nonetheless, I'm anxiously awaiting Prince Desmond's Save the Sandcastle Suites gofundme. Anyone got the link?
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Keetz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:28 pm

coasterbill wrote:The timing is strange though. Given their absurd crowd levels this time of year I'm suprised the hotel will be closed for the final weekend. I'm sure if the demand was there at all that wouldn't be the case and it's pretty shocking that it wouldn't be during one of the busiest weekends of the year.

It does seem a bit strange, but I checked the lodging options for this weekend and there is vacancy in all the hotels, so it must not be a huge issue.

These weekends probably draw people from <2 hours away that want to drive, wait 2 hours to park, and then wait 3 hours to ride one coaster.

I love resort development plans like this. It will be cool to see how the whole area transforms over the next few years.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Closing weekend is historically slower than the rest of Halloweekends. Combine that with the dropping temperatures this weekend, and they should be fine with resort capacity.
Original Maverick '99

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Is there a date that 2018 resort reservations will become available online? I keep trying to spec out a getaway next year and it won't do it. Apparently I'll need to be quicker than usual too given the loss of one option.

Edit: I was finally able to find something searching the topic. So it looks like they were available early November last year?

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm

^ The loss of the option of Sandcastle, but remember the Breakers expansion that is due to open next season. I’m sure that the new tower will make up for the rooms lost at Sandcastle partially (if not fully). Guess we know now the reasoning behind that new tower. This is exciting news... but I can’t help but think that we won’t be seeing a new hotel on that site. I really think Cedar Point would have just done an extreme renovation of Sandcastle, just like they did with Breakers if they saw value in a hotel there. With the net effect essentially being zero with Sandcastle closing and the new Breakers tower, I think Cedar Point is satisfied with this number of rooms. Time will tell.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Glad that stadium is gone, it was extremely ugly and is sitting on prime beach front property. IMO that's a good spot for another flat in the future or possibly a larger beach entrance. Also with Sand Castle gone I hope they put camp spots there, they are extremely short on them now and need more.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Danrarbc wrote:Is there a date that 2018 resort reservations will become available online? I keep trying to spec out a getaway next year and it won't do it. Apparently I'll need to be quicker than usual too given the loss of one option.

Edit: I was finally able to find something searching the topic. So it looks like they were available early November last year?

That sounds about right. I work in the hotel industry, and seasonal properties almost always begin loading next year's inventory once the current season ends.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 pm

^ That's what I/we did for our trip there last June. I started the hotel reservation ball rolling, well before Christmas.
And I also used their Payment Plan which helped in spreading out the payments for a few months.
IMG_3916.JPG
A lovely (Breakers) lobby, to check into. June 4, 2017
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:33 pm

I've heard great things about Breakers. I'm staying in the Hojo across from Thirsty Pony again. It's a super cheap hotel in a great location, and with a Platinum Pass, it's not really necessary to stay on site.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:38 pm

^ I know. We had a rental car, but only used it a few times: getting there, going shopping, and coming back to the airport.
But - I was pretty sure this was going to be my only visit to the park, so I wanted to get as much out of it, including
staying at The Breakers, however expensive it was. And in hindsight.....it was great and I totally enjoyed what I paid for, LOL!
CedarPoint-woodstock.jpg
Back in June....
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 am.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext