TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I didn't think about the new bedding from house keeping. We never strip the bed, we just look under the mattress carefully on all four corners. Sounds like you guys are really thorough in a good way. I'm sure you will run across some eventually. If you're anything like me, it will send chills down your spine.

I didn't think about the new bedding from house keeping. We never strip the bed, we just look under the mattress carefully on all four corners. Sounds like you guys are really thorough in a good way. I'm sure you will run across some eventually. If you're anything like me, it will send chills down your spine.

The people I know who have dealt with them convinced me to be hyper-vigilant.

I've never once given the little a critter a thought. Travel a ton for work and pleasure. Never had an issue to my knowledge. Maybe they're having a party on my backside and I don't know it. Its just easier not to think about it and move on if its never been an issue.

I have friends who were eaten up by bed bugs with bites all over. They were miserable. I knew someone who thought they had gotten rid of all of them, only to take some home and face extensive measures to get rid of them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Search Google images for 'bad bed bug bites'.

I've never once given the little a critter a thought. Travel a ton for work and pleasure. Never had an issue to my knowledge. Maybe they're having a party on my backside and I don't know it. Its just easier not to think about it and move on if its never been an issue.

Trust me, it can turn into an issue in a heartbeat. The main problem is far from simply getting bitten by very ugly bugs when you sleep. It's the possibility of taking them home where it can really go bad. People with infestations have to get rid of their mattresses and often get new carpet. They can hide anywhere after the infestation takes place, including any crevice or crack. A clever little spot is any nearby electrical outlet. It's very easy to transfer them from one room to another. As far as infestations go, they can be just as difficult to get rid of as cock roaches.

There's a lot more to it than feeling uncomfortable knowing something is going to feed on you at night. Use caution. They're much more common than you think:

Not to further derail the topic, but we stay in A LOT of hotels all over the world. Only once did we encounter these critters with terrible results. It was in Europe at a major chain hotel. KT and I were bit all over it was horrible, luckily we didn't take them back with us. Ever since I always carefully check mattresses now and have seen them one time since (in Australia!) so quickly changed rooms.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I've been pushing the Hotel Breakers stay for all the obvious reasons but not my money so...

I do believe the plan is to get Platinum passes so that will give them at minimum the parking and early entry perks.

Anywho, thanks again for all the help!

If y'all can't swing the cost of Breakers, but still want the benefits (except being able to walk to and from), then Cedar Point's Express Hotel is pretty nice, and about the same level of rooms and service for half (if not less) the price. I got a good deal in June for $99 a night once they opened up booking. Is stayed 4 nights and is the only place I'll stay in the area unless I just happen to win the lottery or come into an inheritance to stay at Breakers...lol

I made my reservation for July staying at Hotel Breakers. I’m going for 3 nights, 4 days. I got the Lakeview Suite with a King Bed, 1 sleeper sofa and two TVs cost me $969.17 taxes fees were $117.50. But what also saves me money I already have a platinum season pass with the all day dining plan and drink plan. I’m doing the easy pay room with 6 payments is $161.00. This is my third time staying at Breakers I like the convenience of staying on property and location.

^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience outweighs anything else including price.

Seconded. Period.

If money would be an issue, I'd rather wait another year than staying anywhere else.

I don't find Breakers to be outlandishly priced. I guess relative to the cheap sh*tholes in the area, sure it is, but consider this: We stayed in a lakeview 2 bed/1 pullout suite @ Breakers on Memorial Day wknd in 2015 for 3 nights (Fri, Sat and Sunday). While we booked well in advance the room came to around $1200 all told - taxes, etc.

We weren't passholders so our stay included the three days in the park and waterpark. Not to mention free parking, and access to the hotels' amenities like the pools, firepits, beach etc. So if you minus what 4 of us would have paid as non-passholders to get into the park for three days ($70x4people=$280x3days=$840) the room really cost us $360 for three nights, which is $120 a night split between the four of us works out to $30 each person per night. Totally worth it for the convenience of being able to pop back to your room at a moments notice, not to mention the amount of money we saved all weekend by bringing our own cooler for the room packed with booze and munchies.

Now if you're a passholder and/or you go all the time, that doesn't work as well, but for us it was great. What really got us was buying FL+ for four of us for two days. $110 per person = $880!!! But besides the holiday it was free military+families and gorgeous weather all weekend so I regret nothing.

^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience outweighs anything else including price.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

But that being said, I certainly support anyone staying on site and supporting the park. I'm not a cheapskate myself, but I appreciate a good deal. If anyone wants to full CP experience I fully support it, and I support people supporting my #1 park in the world.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

and when you want to make a quick stop at the room to change your shoes, or grab a snack, or get some sunscreen?

or take a nap, or use the pool/hottub?

WITHOUT having to walk to your car, move your car, and deal with finding a spot when you come back?

yeah. yer nuts, dude, and Elissa is correct.

I'm just frugal...as are lots of people who travel. Not everyone has the same budgets as everyone else. I'm fine with Cedar Point's Express with the same benefits for half the price. I don't need quick stops to my room, nap or plan on stopping by the pool. I can do that at home in FL. I get the convenience. but not everyone needs it. Kudos to those who want it and go for it. It's just not for everyone, and that's okay.

I'm just frugal...as are lots of people who travel. Not everyone has the same budgets as everyone else. I'm fine with Cedar Point's Express with the same benefits for half the price. I don't need quick stops to my room, nap or plan on stopping by the pool. I can do that at home in FL. I get the convenience. but not everyone needs it. Kudos to those who want it and go for it. It's just not for everyone, and that's okay.

I was talking vs AirBnB. . .

you get a lot of the same benefits at Breaker's Express as you do with Hotel Breakers (other than the closeness/convenience).

someone asked earlier, and I didn't see an answer - does the Express offer shuttle service to the park?

if they do then it's just as easy to get back to the hotel by hopping on a shuttle.

Since they have shuttle service around the peninsula, it would be surprising if they don't offer that, but i don't know, so asking.

Just wondering to I’m driving 14 hours from Minneapolis to Sandusky does Hotel Breakers allow early check ins? I also made a request to stay on the 3rd or 5th floor. I have a Lakeview 1 King size bedroom suite. Is Hotel Breakers good with guest requests? I know in my resorvation requests are granted but not guaranteed?

Edited by Lightning Rod

One additional perk I’d like to see Hotel Breakers is to add a free fast lane plus included with the room just for staying there just a thought.

Just wondering to I’m driving 14 hours from Minneapolis to Sandusky does Hotel Breakers allow early check ins? I also made a request to stay on the 3rd or 5th floor. I have a Lakeview 1 King size bedroom suite. Is Hotel Breakers good with guest requests? I know in my resorvation requests are granted but not guaranteed?

Well, we had different requests (as extra pillows, p.e.) but they were all done when we came to the room without a beep. So I think, if it's manageable they'll grant your requests. As we had a lakeview room, too, it was in one of the wings beside the rotunda which only hat three floors, not five. But there may be lakeview rooms in the rotunda itself, which is higher.

We were there way too early too. Our room was already there for us, with all requests. We arrived on an monday. If the room wouldn't have been ready, they would have stored our luggage for us and would have brought it to our room. That's what the clerk said - I cannot guarantee that it's the truth because it wasn't necessary as our room was already available.

With your thoughts about Fast Lane with the hotel: Sarah had the exact same thought! But maybe they have some promotions for that for some time!? When we booked our room for four nights and park tickets for three days we got a free "After 4 pm Ticket" for the day of arrival.

I was talking vs AirBnB. . .

you get a lot of the same benefits at Breaker's Express as you do with Hotel Breakers (other than the closeness/convenience).

someone asked earlier, and I didn't see an answer - does the Express offer shuttle service to the park?

if they do then it's just as easy to get back to the hotel by hopping on a shuttle.

Since they have shuttle service around the peninsula, it would be surprising if they don't offer that, but i don't know, so asking.

No shuttle.

Is there a shuttle service available?

There is no shuttle service to or from Express Hotel. If you plan to visit Cedar Point or any other nearby locations you will need to arrange transportation.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/stay/cedar-point-express-hotel

and when you want to make a quick stop at the room to change your shoes, or grab a snack, or get some sunscreen?

or take a nap, or use the pool/hottub?

WITHOUT having to walk to your car, move your car, and deal with finding a spot when you come back?

yeah. yer nuts, dude, and Elissa is correct.

I've found that with my experience traveling a lot and going to parks a ton, I have it down to a science. I pack very little when I go to a park for one thing, but I also need very little. For the enormous cost savings that I get with Airbnb, I can just buy what I need at the park in an absolute "oh crap" emergency, or just pack what I need. Sunscreen is easy to pack or buy. Sunglasses are easy to wear or put in my pockets. I generally try to avoid rides that get me soaked.

And oh yeah, you're also allowed to rent a locker. I never do, but if paying for a $10 locker will allow to save a ton of money and go with Airbnb, economically it makes sense.

And it takes a very minimal amount of time to drive to an Airbnb and back. The one we stayed at was less than three miles away, and there was no traffic. I'd only go back when the park was very crowded, so any time you'd waste would be during junk time when you couldn't get on much anyway. If the park was dead all day long, I'd take advantage of it, and just ride all time, and maybe even call it an earlier day and hit the bars early (not that there is much of a nightlife in Sandusky).

The last point brings me to another point -- I'd be a lot more likely to stay on site if there was a nightlife on the island. There's really only that TGIFrdays to my knowledge. Otherwise, you have to drive off site anywhere to get drinks, see live music, and party. If there was a "downtown Cedar Point" I'd be very tempted to stay at an on-site hotel.

Different people travel in different ways and have different preferences. Some people like to take breaks and want the convenience of Breakers, some don't care (or they take their breaks at Famous Dave's in the marina... hi), some people like Airbnb, some people are sitting on a mountain of branded hotel points or they're chasing status (again, hi).

Nobody's going to change anybody's mind. Just do what you do.

A lot of the members here are poor college kids whose main focus is getting the cheapest room possible. I get that, I was that kid once. But once I grew up and started making some decent money, I decided to stay at Breakers, and have never looked back. It really completes the Cedar Point experience for me.

^ & ^^

What both of you said, the mix of both, makes it round for me. When I was younger, I wanted to do as much as possible and I always looked for the cheapest possible was, just because I didn't have that much money to go for the full program. Now we earn our money, but we don't go that often on expensive vacations. But if we do, we want to go for all of it, even if that means we have to save money for another year before we do our trip.

As Bill said, everybody has to know what he wants and do that. But let's face the fact that the initial question was, what we, the community, would prefer for staying over night at Cedar Point, so there's no right or wrong, just a lot of different input for the questioner to make his own mind what's best.