The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5451 - West Coast Racers Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:25 am

^You may have just ridden in a different seat. Your ride experience can change drastically row-by-row, left side vs. right side, and even individual seats. Every ride on X2 is a hit or miss, regardless of time of day. I have gotten both smooth and rough rides in the morning, mid-day, and evening.

With that being said, I suggest heading straight to X2 or YOLOcoaster in the morning. Neither is a bad choice. Both lines tend to die down later in the day, but X2 will die down more since it is less accessible and convenient. Both rides have terrible capacities. I would then head immediately to WCR. After that, just do as you please. Even though it will be President's Day weekend, I don't imagine you would encounter massive crowds. The 18th will definitely be the best day. And even if it were crowded, three days is plenty of time to hit everything in the park without a Flash Pass.

Have fun! Report back!
Steel: 197 / Wood: 33 / Total: 230
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:33 am

In my experience, sit in the middle on an inside seat on the right wing and the ride will only be a moderately bone-jarring and brutal. Sitting on the outside in the back usually makes me wish the train would derail, killing us instantly so we didn't have to go through that last raven turn.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 am

^&^^I stick to the front row, inside seat, on the side closest to the road. I've still found it better in the morning than later in the day. Though, I tend to shy away from it after those first few rides of the day, so I could very realistically be missing inconsistently smooth(ish)/rough rides later in the day. I was impressed last Christmas Eve day, though. I went with my family, and went for the first ride of the day in the aforementioned seat, and I was shocked at how (relatively) gentle it was. Even the last raven turn didn't bounce my head around. And my 9-year old daughter (who had never ridden it before) absolutely adored it. She couldn't decide if that or Twisted Colossus was her favorite ride.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 am

^Awesome

I should also state that my experience on this ride is extremely limit considering the fact that I don't particularly like the ride (like at all) and live across the country so I usually ride it like twice a decade. My last ride was decent-ish though and that's where I sat. That back row sucks hard though. :lol:

But yeah, your advice is probably much better than mine since you ride it occasionally.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:07 am.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

While it's a major ride to try if you've never ridden it, I'd be hesitant to get on X2 too early in the day. It's profoundly violent in ways that could potentially screw up the rest of your day. There's no coherent rhyme or reason as to how it runs (inside seat, toward the back of the train [front of the station] seems to have some impact, but even then it's impossible to tell what it'll do to you). While the first part of the ride is jerky and rough, and the middle is meandering and dull, the last few moves are absolutely punishing. It slams your head back into the seat while slamming your body up and into the restraints. Worth a ride for the experience, but have some Tylenol on hand.

Unless it's a busy day, X2 doesn't really get major lines. You can also get a good sense of how long the wait is by jumping on Viper (which rarely has a line) and checking out the queue from above.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 am

Yeah I enjoyed my last ride on it but I also popped 2 Aleve as soon as I got off. I'm getting old.

Postby Superbatboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm sensitive to roughness, my go to seat is always last row inner seat.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby i305isdaddy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm

I last rode X2 in 2016, back row outside seat, and I had to stop and rest halfway down the exit ramp because the raven turn beat my legs so hard that they literally went numb and then I had an anxiety attack about how badly my neck was hurting.

That said... I loved it. It's insane and a piece of coaster history, but holy hell I was not ready for the beating.

Recently I rode Eej over @ Fuji Q and oh man is that different. It's still shaky and crazy and wtf insane but it doesn't slam the s*** out of you repeatedly during the last 5 seconds like X2 does. They definitely smoothed out some issues in that re-engineering.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:34 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Superman isn't on the Flash Pass. And YOLOcoaster, X2, and West Coast Racers are one time only on the Flash Pass. If you don't plan to get a Flash Pass, I recommend hitting these three attractions early in the day since they will build up the longest queues. If you plan to get a Flash Pass, I recommend hitting these rides anyway since you probably will want to get a few rides on them.

I don't plan on getting flash pass for the reasons you brought up. I just don't see the value for it at this park.

Angle O. Descent wrote:Here's what I would do first without a flash pass:
1. YOLOcoaster
2. X2
3. West Coast Racers
4. Superman

So there's a pretty solid consensus that this is the way to go. It might not help on my first day there because I just realized my flight is scheduled to land at the Burbank Airport half an hour before the park opens.

thrillseeker4552 wrote:^You may have just ridden in a different seat. Your ride experience can change drastically row-by-row, left side vs. right side, and even individual seats. Every ride on X2 is a hit or miss, regardless of time of day. I have gotten both smooth and rough rides in the morning, mid-day, and evening.

With that being said, I suggest heading straight to X2 or YOLOcoaster in the morning. Neither is a bad choice. Both lines tend to die down later in the day, but X2 will die down more since it is less accessible and convenient. Both rides have terrible capacities. I would then head immediately to WCR. After that, just do as you please. Even though it will be President's Day weekend, I don't imagine you would encounter massive crowds. The 18th will definitely be the best day. And even if it were crowded, three days is plenty of time to hit everything in the park without a Flash Pass.

Have fun! Report back!

Thanks, I will definitely report back. And thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it!

X2 has been my most anticipated ride for a while now. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I love the 4D free spins..
Good to know that the crowds shouldn't be massive.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 am

AndrewA86 wrote:So there's a pretty solid consensus that this is the way to go. It might not help on my first day there because I just realized my flight is scheduled to land at the Burbank Airport half an hour before the park opens.

Burbank Airport is pretty small, so you should be out of there pretty quickly once you deplane. Seeing that your first day at the park is a Sunday, you should be able to get there within an hour of park opening if everything goes smoothly. There typically isn’t much traffic on Sunday mornings between Burbank and Valencia, and the park typically doesn’t get crowded until the afternoons on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat, don't fail me now!

PreviousNext