The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5451 - West Coast Racers Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 10965
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:00 pm

coasterlvr wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:I'd lean more towards a flat going there like one of those Tourbillions.

Jason Maier wrote:The inevitable questions now that GL:FF has been removed:

1. What replaces it? Something compact like an S&S 4D Free Spin or Premier Sky Rocket II? Or a flat package?

2. Why did this Zacspin flop while the other three (Inferno, Insane and Kirnu) are still operating?


2 has been discussed quite a bit. SFMM restricted the rocking/flipping which had the unintended consequence of inflicting uncomfortable forces on riders. Meanwhile the ones in Europe rotate more freely.


i rode it before they put those huge weights on. unbalanced and was continually thrown into and back into the seat. head and body trauma. i'm guessing my friend and i got the worst ride you could get. the possibility of getting a ride half as bad as what i did kept me from every riding again.

i still say that while i'm sure many enjoy it, the fact that there are only 4 total in the world says a lot about how parks felt about it if they thought about buying one.


If I recall correctly, the weights were there from the beginning.
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3411
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Gender: Male

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:24 am

I'll miss GL's pretty green aesthetic the most, it gave the DC area some life visually IMO.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Location: Cerritos, Ca.
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterlvr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am

Jew wrote:If I recall correctly, the weights were there from the beginning.


since i only rode it once, and never gave it any attention after, i only read about the change. i always assumed it was the fins on the side, which were clearly fiberglass when it opened. then later, there's like another piece behind them.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 7.27.19 PM.png
original


Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 7.27.03 PM.png
modified
Image

Can I park my donkey here?
User avatar
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Gender: None specified

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby kalikoasterman510 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:00 pm

My first, and only ride on it was horrible!! It was uncomfortable and when we were in the brakes just outside of the station, the car wouldn't upright itself to advance. Luckily my legs were long enough and I was able to push off of a ledge to my left and rock the car until it was level enough! No joke, I "singlefootedly" uprighted the car myself!

Sayonara to a coaster that will NOT be missed!!

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: Former Californian, newly Ohioan
Gender: Female
Age: 29

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 pm

I don’t know if I can say I’ll miss it but I’m not happy either... I got an enjoyable ride on it.... at some point? For those of you who never got to ride it, here’s my summary:

Whoa this lift hill is super suspenseful, I’m actually a little scared
Here we go! This is going to be insane!
Gentle rocking
This is it?
More gentle rocking
SUDDEN VIOLENT DROP
OMG WTF JUST HAPPENED??
WHAT THE ... OW!
Finally gets a full flip at the very end
Actually doesn’t go all the way around, #trollololol
Drops you on your head
Done.

I will forever cherish these memories.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”
Image

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Gender: None specified
Age: 29

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 pm

The last ride I had on GL wasn't too bad, but I remember it ripped all the change out of my pockets on that last element before the station.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
User avatar
 
Posts: 266
Joined: 06 Mar 2015
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:I don’t know if I can say I’ll miss it but I’m not happy either... I got an enjoyable ride on it.... at some point? For those of you who never got to ride it, here’s my summary:

Whoa this lift hill is super suspenseful, I’m actually a little scared
Here we go! This is going to be insane!
Gentle rocking
This is it?
More gentle rocking
SUDDEN VIOLENT DROP
OMG WTF JUST HAPPENED??
WHAT THE ... OW!
Finally gets a full flip at the very end
Actually doesn’t go all the way around, #trollololol
Drops you on your head
Done.

I will forever cherish these memories.


Literally loling at how accurate this is.

I rode it twice. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think the first time was sans weights. The lift hill is definitely the most thrilling element. The first time I rode it wasn't terrible but was really meh and we hardly flipped at all (until the end when we did a half-flip, like you said lol). The second time I could clearly feel the dampened spinning along with some very uncomfortable forces, and afterward I decided it's not worth riding again. Won't be missed by me.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
User avatar
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Gender: Male
Age: 22

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Intamin_coyote » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Ok some random question, but I'd like to hear some opinions on Goliath (and/or the other Giovanalo hyper for that matter, if you've ridden it.)

To me, they look like impressive rides, and getting on at least on one of them has been pretty high on my bucket list for well...ever!

However, I've heard a decent amount of "overrated" charges thrown these coasters' ways.

Some attack them for supposedly not having much air time. But to that I say the same thing I do when people gripe of Beast or Millie having little airtime. Which is... NOT EVERY RIDE HAS TO BE BASED AROUND AIRTIME!!. Don't get me wrong, I love airtime as much as the next fellow, but it'd be redundant if every ride was like that...

I've heard some say that its rough, and others say the helices toward the end are forceful to point of discomfort.

Thoughts?
Image

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Location: Cerritos, Ca.
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterlvr » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:Ok some random question, but I'd like to hear some opinions on Goliath (and/or the other Giovanalo hyper for that matter, if you've ridden it.)

To me, they look like impressive rides, and getting on at least on one of them has been pretty high on my bucket list for well...ever!

However, I've heard a decent amount of "overrated" charges thrown these coasters' ways.

Some attack them for supposedly not having much air time. But to that I say the same thing I do when people gripe of Beast or Millie having little airtime. Which is... NOT EVERY RIDE HAS TO BE BASED AROUND AIRTIME!!. Don't get me wrong, I love airtime as much as the next fellow, but it'd be redundant if every ride was like that...

I've heard some say that its rough, and others say the helices toward the end are forceful to point of discomfort.

Thoughts?


the big camelback has some good floater airtime. but that's really it on Goliath. the drop just feels like a long ramp these days. i remember it feeling better, but that's probably just the times. i also could swear it didn't slow down at the top of the lift.

the second half is still pretty intense. it was way more intense when it opened and the mid course brake did nothing. now it either nearly stops, or does stop the train.

it's still a fun ride. but being that i live in LA, i'd rather have any hyper coaster over goliath.
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 15370
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:52 pm

We went to Magic Mountain in February for the first time in 5-6 years and sort of remembered being less-than-impressed with Goliath but we actually ended up riding it a ton and thinking it was an absolute blast. Goliath gets a thumbs up from me.

Titan blows.

PreviousNext