The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Vital808 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 pm

joelwee wrote:I rode Viper today for the first time since it's refurb, and noticed it's received the Goliath treatment. The lift chain now slows to a crawl at the very top, and the MCBR now completely stops the train instead of just trimming it. The ride still plows through the first three loops, but the back car no longer gives that catapult/whiplash effect when cresting the lift hill. I'm puzzled as to why they're completely stopping it on the MCBR, though, as the train already crawled through the heavily-trimmed second half, and now moves even more slowly.

I don’t post here alot but read these forums often... I was there for the first time last Wednesday specifically to ride Viper since I’ve always hated that my home park SFGADV removed the Scream Machine... anyway Viper was absolutely hauling and the MCBR barely touched the train. I absolutely loved it. Are you sure this is a permanent change?

Definitely experienced a full stop on Goliath’s MCBR which I was expecting.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Vital808 wrote:I don’t post here alot but read these forums often... I was there for the first time last Wednesday specifically to ride Viper since I’ve always hated that my home park SFGADV removed the Scream Machine... anyway Viper was absolutely hauling and the MCBR barely touched the train. I absolutely loved it. Are you sure this is a permanent change?

Definitely experienced a full stop on Goliath’s MCBR which I was expecting.

In that case, it sounds like the computer adjusts the MCBR based on how fast the train is going. How were the crowds that day? The park was relatively packed on Sunday, so Viper was running full trains - which is a rarity. If you were there on a slow day, the trains would've been mostly empty and thus wouldn't be traveling as quickly when they reach the MCBR.
Either way, I'm glad you got a good ride.

Goliath's computer does whatever it wants. I've ridden it on summer days with full trains, where the MCBR just trimmed it... but in the middle of winter, it completely stops the train. I don't get it.
Seat, don't fail me now!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 pm

joelwee wrote:Goliath's computer does whatever it wants. I've ridden it on summer days with full trains, where the MCBR just trimmed it... but in the middle of winter, it completely stops the train. I don't get it.

Goliath indeed has a mind of its own. While it always heavily trims the train at the MCBR, there have been times we came to a full stop and waited a few second before releasing, and other times we never dipped below 8 mph it seems.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby garminkid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 pm

I need some help here. I will be going to SFMM (first Six Flags park for me) for the first time in June, and I need help with touring plans. My home park is Cedar Point (yeah be jealous), and I've been to many big coaster parks such as Kings Island, Hersheypark, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens Tampa, so I know how to navigate most parks. The problem I'm having with is how many days to go (2 max) and what ride to ride first. My coaster count is currently sitting at 99, so the first ride I do at Magic Mountain will be my 100th roller coaster. I'm having a hard time deciding between X2 and Twisted Colossus and also what plan I should follow. I'm leaning toward Twisted Colossus because my favorite coaster is Steel Vengeance (my only RMC) and from what I've heard it's the best ride in the park. Any opinions on what I should do?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:34 pm

^If I was you, I’d go for X2 first. It’s line builds up quickly and it stays long all day due to painfully slow operations, so get there at rope drop and head straight for X2.
Twisted Colossus has the best ride ops in the park, so even if the line is spilling out the front of the queue, you won’t wait for more than an hour.
Also, 2 days is definitely enough to ride everything. You can do it in one day with Flash Pass, but trying to fit everything in one day during the summer without Flash Pass would be tough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat, don't fail me now!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Big Sexy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 am

Taking the family out to magic mountain next saturday and sunday 1/19 & 20th from ohio. Think we will need flash pass both days?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am

^ I'll be there the same weekend and am planning on getting the Regular Flash Pass ($30-40). It's MLKJ weekend and if you don't go there regularly, I'd say it's worth splurging on. You can always wait to buy them the day of if crowds look bad.

Usually I go for the Gold, but since X2, Tatsu, and Twisted Colossus are one time only at any level, I don't find the other levels offer much of an advantage.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Valleyfair & Noah's Ark

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm

joelwee wrote:^If I was you, I’d go for X2 first. It’s line builds up quickly and it stays long all day due to painfully slow operations, so get there at rope drop and head straight for X2.
Twisted Colossus has the best ride ops in the park, so even if the line is spilling out the front of the queue, you won’t wait for more than an hour.
Also, 2 days is definitely enough to ride everything. You can do it in one day with Flash Pass, but trying to fit everything in one day during the summer without Flash Pass would be tough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if the park is going to be really dead, there can be a benefit to going to TC after ropedrop. If very few people are on, the restraint checkers will still be hauling, and it will increase your odds of a duel. If the ride is running full trains, the odds of a duel drastically are reduced. So if you have two days, maybe ropedrop TC on the less crowded day (probably based off of day of the week and known events or holidays) and rope dropping X2 on the more crowded day.

And I actually don't find X2's operations to be that bad. Its 32 people per trains and they usually run both trains. The no loose articles and fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy keep things moving too.

I guess that originally X2 ran with three trains, and they made use of the unload and load stations. While I imagine that they helped capacity, three train ops must be long gone by now.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Has X2 returned to multi-train operations? When I visited in December it was only running one train due to maintenance on the other. The last update I saw from mid-December still had X2 running one train.

One train X2 is not a line you want to get stuck in.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Valleyfair & Noah's Ark

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Has X2 returned to multi-train operations? When I visited in December it was only running one train due to maintenance on the other. The last update I saw from mid-December still had X2 running one train.

One train X2 is not a line you want to get stuck in.

I gotcha, that does sound awful. I went back in October, so I don't know anything about its current state. That's an emergency, so you probably need to rope drop that. Can probably even get to TC in time to get some duels in too. I got five in on X2 on my first day ever there, and didn't realize that it would be a coaster that got lines. When I came back it was at 90 minutes. So I got one more in the next day, and wasn't able to get back on it. And that was with single train ops. First day, the park was mostly a ghost town, but the only rides that had lines were X2, Tatsu, and YOLOcoaster. Day 2 it was mobbed, but I did buy a Flash pass that day.

Its funny that they don't make 4-D's in America anymore (other than the free spinning ones) considering what a rockstar X2 is.

PreviousNext