The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: RaceBoarder and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Edgar Allan Pooh wrote:Today it is insanely crowded. It’s bring a friend day, and everyone is trying to use up the last day of their season pass.

They extended Holiday in the Park and 2018 passes through this Saturday, so the park is gonna be insanely crowded all week.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:09 pm

Need some input, is it possible to do a Magic Mountain/Knott’s Trip without a car? I’m thinking about flying to L.A. sometime this summer to visit SFMM and KBF, but renting a car isn’t really an option since I’m under 25. Is there any public transit I could take to get between the two parks or would I have to rely mostly on taxi/Uber/Lyft?
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 pm

VF15 wrote:Need some input, is it possible to do a Magic Mountain/Knott’s Trip without a car? I’m thinking about flying to L.A. sometime this summer to visit SFMM and KBF, but renting a car isn’t really an option since I’m under 25. Is there any public transit I could take to get between the two parks or would I have to rely mostly on taxi/Uber/Lyft?

i'd uber/lyft. i think some have done public, but to me that's way too much a hassle, and, imo, possibly not that safe.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:02 pm

VF15 wrote:Need some input, is it possible to do a Magic Mountain/Knott’s Trip without a car? I’m thinking about flying to L.A. sometime this summer to visit SFMM and KBF, but renting a car isn’t really an option since I’m under 25. Is there any public transit I could take to get between the two parks or would I have to rely mostly on taxi/Uber/Lyft?

If you want to take public transit your best bet would be to see if there is a train that runs from the SCV to Orange County, then look in to the local tranist systems or take an Uber/lift to/from the rail station. Train schedules can easily be found through Google.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby saweetdude05 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:21 am

You can take Metrolink from Santa Clarita to Buena Park, however it doesn't run very frequently or past 5pm or so.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:44 am

saweetdude05 wrote:You can take Metrolink from Santa Clarita to Buena Park, however it doesn't run very frequently or past 5pm or so.

Staying by the park would help give a full day.

I rented a car in California a few times before I was 25. Hertz waived the under 25 fee for me since I was a AAA member. If the fee is the biggest issue, that may help.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Honestly, I'd bite the bullet and get the car. Even if it costs you $100-$200 more because of your age.

Think of the time you'd save. You can get to Magic Mountain from Knott's (well, atleast I used to be able to do it) in the off traffic hours in about 60 minutes. I would suggest doing Knott's, waiting until 11pm, then driving up to SFMM to sleep there at a local hotel to wake up in Valencia for your day at Magic Mountain.

Traffic in Southern California is effing stupid, horrid, pull your hair out imaginable. I can't fathom the price of an Uber or Lyft mid-day. Public Transportation is a joke around there. One of the many many reasons I left California and don't visit Magic Mountain anymore even when I visit home (which is 5 minutes from Knott's).

Hate to say it, but it's rough. Rent the car and go in the middle of the night or spend $100 each way on a ride sharing app. Man, I'd be pissed if I was in OC driving for lift and it took me all the way to Santa Clarita LOL!
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:53 pm

delete.
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

I'd use Turo. I've started using that over rental cars. Its like Airbnb or Uber, but for rental cars. You use an app, and rent cars directly from hosts. Sometimes they're regular people just looking for spare money, and lately some people are making real businesses out of the app. Its selling point is that its generally a lot cheaper than rental car companies (think the price between Airbnb and a hotel) and you get access to better, more luxurious cars compared to the rock bottom economy cars you'd get from a rental car company.

And their minimum age is only 21, so you'd be all set. They also allow you to rent a stick, which is unheard of at rental car places.

Only drawbacks are the occasional hassle of putting it together and doing some of the work yourself, having to pay an upcharge to get the car from an airport (but you can Uber to a parking lot and pick it up for no upcharge), and the mileage being limited (I think that its usually no less than 300 miles, so you can get to the LA parks, just no big road trips).

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 am

Call around ahead of time. I rented a few cars when I was under 25 and I had some people offer to waive the fee.

PreviousNext