The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby anthonyg3521 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:58 pm

It's interesting to see that this is one of the longest breaks MM has had from building roller coasters for a while, with the last roller coaster being built being Hot Rod Racers in 2014, and the last full scale one being YOLOcoaster in '13, not counting Twisted Colossus being revamped in 2015.
The last break close to this long was from 1994 (Batman) to 1997 (Superman) (please correct me if I'm wrong oof) and that wasn't even that long. It seems we should be in for a real treat when Six Flags finally decides to give MM (or any other Six Flags park for that matter) another coaster.
*edit: It seems whenever I try to type in "YOLOcoaster" (built in 2013, first top hat and largest loop at the time) the site changes it to YOLOcoaster. It is not a typo :?r

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:35 pm

southpuddle wrote:^yeah, when was the last time all of their coasters were actually operating on the same day? Anyone know?

It’ll be interesting to see if the Six Flags company makes an exception to their “no giant blockbuster expensive attraction” strategy for SFMM now that it’s their (only) truly year-round park.

They were pretty consistent all last year, until the "incident" on Green Lantern and the retracking of Apocalypse.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm

anthonyg3521 wrote:It's interesting to see that this is one of the longest breaks MM has had from building roller coasters for a while, with the last roller coaster being built being Hot Rod Racers in 2014, and the last full scale one being YOLOcoaster in '13, not counting Twisted Colossus being revamped in 2015.
The last break close to this long was from 1994 (Batman) to 1997 (Superman) (please correct me if I'm wrong oof) and that wasn't even that long. It seems we should be in for a real treat when Six Flags finally decides to give MM another coaster.

I think this is backwards. Fool Throttle is the half a coaster. Twisted Colossus was a full scale construction project and the longest (in terms of track) in the park. I think it's by far their best ride, too. My favorite of the three RMC's I've been on, and the most fun.

I'd rather see them fix broken stuff in the park before adding more coasters but I realize that's harder to market to customers.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Six Flags is trying their hardest to bring in as many guest as possible for as cheap as possible which seems to be working with the recent attendance records and how much money they say they make. There’s only a handful of parks SF will invest way more than the rest and that’s SFMM, SFGAM and SFFT as of right now. SFGAM and SFMM are gearing up to get big rides in 2019 from the looks of it right now
Last edited by DropDeadFuzzy on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:50 am.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I would say they are willing to invest in SFGAdv as well. But SFMM being open 365 days a year gives it an advantage over other parks. Rumor has it they are looking at SFFT as a possible park for 365 days operation but it may not make sense considering San Antonio is not an LA type market.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby SFMMGeek27 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Walls are down at Crazanity. Just some metal barricades are all that stand between you and the work site now. The shade structure for the queue is up and ready. Basically all that needs to be done is concrete, electrical, landscaping, and testing and it should be ready to go!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby edgeboy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:08 am

Manic Monte wrote:They were pretty consistent all last year, until the "incident" on Green Lantern and the retracking of Apocalypse.

What "incident"? Other than people not really liking the ride, I've never heard of a specific "incident" on it.

I also feel it's amusing people don't count the RMC upgrades as a "new" coaster. Really? So just because it uses some of the previous structure of an older ride, it's somehow less work than building a coaster from the ground up?

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 am

RMC upgrades should absolutely be considered a "new" coaster. While it doesn't add to the total count, it easily improves the quality of a park's lineup, provides a vastly different experience than before, and even changes the skyline and other visual aspects of the park.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby billybillybilly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Going to the park tomorrow (Monday 6/18) when it opens. Any idea as to how crowded it’ll be and estimates wait times for the rides during the day?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby coaster1000 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi!

I haven't posted here for a while and hope this is the right forum, I apologize if it is not.

I'll be visiting LA from 20th-29th of June from Denmark, and definitely plan on going to SFMM (and Knott's as well)! I'm sorry as this might be an oft-repeated type of question, but do any regulars have any tips, especially about which day within my time frame might be best/least crowded to go? I do plan on getting a Flash Pass if it is crowded. And any other general advice for the park? Best place to eat, any underrated rides, etc.? I'd much appreciate it. And if anybody will be at the park those days and wants to meet up, send me a message!

Thanks! :airtimer:

PreviousNext