Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

P. 24: "Taiga" Intamin launch coaster announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

The King is topped off!

Postby Anac0nda » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:08 am

So I was just walking nearby and decided to get a quick look at the construction and what do I see: they're just lifting the final piece up the tower! Holy guacamole Batman, this was fast! Just in two to three days they completed vertical construction! Kingi now towers over all the other rides and the whole city fulfilling its name. I don't know whether there will be a crown or something else to sit at the very top, but I do hope so. The waiting game is not yet over though, now we wait for the cableworks, wiring, car and others to finish so we can finally test and ride this beast! 5 weeks until opening :airtime:
WP_001078.jpg
Here we go!
WP_001080.jpg
Steady...steady...
WP_001086.jpg
Nailed it!
WP_001090.jpg
Here's a picture taken a bit further to show just how tall Kingi really is. And I like it :)

Starbucks Enthusiast

Re: Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

Postby gisco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Can't wait to get Chris on this thing! He loves drop towers! :lmao:

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm

gisco wrote:Can't wait to get Chris on this thing! He loves drop towers! :lmao:

You are a mean mean man...

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Awesome! That was really fast.

Can't wait to see the final look of this one!
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Postby Anac0nda » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:52 am

The 24-seater car is now in place and theming has been started. The car has also been seen moving up and down on the tower but not yet dropping. Makes sense that they want to make sure everything is all right before they drop the heavy car into free fall. Also, someone on the finnish forum wrote that the lighting package has undergone some testing as well. The photos don't show it well, but the tower has vertical lighting strips all around the tower, and the top part is nothing but lights all around! There's some heavy potential what could be done with it. Heck, maybe even writing :Pr

Sources: Facebook
Finnish forum
10013442_10152089290012956_905250078_o.jpg
I guess this will be the entrance and not the operatos booth as I had previously thought. Indeed very fancy I must say.
1000000396403117076.jpg
If I could join those mechanics, I would be so happy!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby oriolat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 am

Looks very promising! Hopefully, this tower won't pull a Mäch Tower during it's test and adjust phase! :p

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 am

Awesome!

Can't wait to see the lights in action!
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Loads of new things for 2014!

Postby Anac0nda » Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 am

Linnanmäki has now opened for this season with a whole bunch of new things/improvements:

- freefall tower Kingi from Moser Rides
- new music from IMAscore
- two new restaurants
- a refurbished restaurant and toilets
- Santa Claus World
- Shark Attack 4D
- dynamic pricing
- opening hours up to 23

First of all, the new ride Kingi. I got to ride it during our training (I work as a ride-op in a total of 7 rides with Kingi now as the newest one) and also rode it last Sunday. While I was concerned that it being 'only' 75 meters it could lack in the length of the drop, but I'm happy to say that I was proven wrong! Because the park is located atop of a hill, it compliments the height of the tower, and you can actually see pretty frickin' far from the top! Rumors say that with clear skies you can even see to Tallinn (Estonia), which is located overseas to the South of Finland :P The surrounding landscape varies nicely and you get a good glimpse all around as the gondola spins as it ascends, making two rounds before reaching the top. The drop is about 2 seconds, which IMO is indeed nice. Not too short, and for Linnanmäki I think this is a good height, as this is the first of it's kind for most of the Finnish people. A taller tower would be too scary for most to ride and also the city of Helsinki probably didn't allow any taller than this to be built.

But Kingi isn't only super fun to ride, it also has one of the nicest queues/stations in the park! But not only pretty, it is functional as well, as it provides shade and cover from rain as well. Can you believe, that it was all designed by the parks very own headgardener? Awesome job, I must say :b But wait, there's more: Kingi also has its very own soundtrack, provided by IMAscore! The station plays a nice medieval theme providing a nice background whilst queueing, and the car has speakers as well providing some themes while going up the tower. Sadly, the ride music was off when I rode, but with IMAscore you can't go wrong, right?

Linnanmäki also has a totally new set of background music playing all around the park, made by IMAscore as well. I have to say, this new music is so much better than the former mix of instrumental versions of other songs. These are all original and nice to listen, and they don't get stuck in your head in a bad way at all (in 2010 there was a instrumental version of My Heart Will Go On, which played every 45 minutes... not cool).

The restaurant-complex Kattila will have two of its six restaurants replaced. The new ones are a nordic TexMex-restaurant, and a small patisserie selling both sweets and savories. Also the fast food restaurant LintsiBurger got a new facade.

Last year one of the toilets got themed to race cars and princesses, and this year another toilet got themed to trains. Haven't tested them yet, but I've heard they are really nice.

Two new attractions have been added to the main gate area: Santa Claus World is originally located in northern Finland (where Santa Claus ACTUALLY comes from, not the North Pole ;) ) and this attraction gives children (and tourists) a possibility to visit Santa during summer as well. I got to admit: they've done a really good job! The scripted journey to Santa's shop as a walkthrough attraction works nicely and immerses you immediately. But I won't spoil any more.
The other attraction is Shark Attack, which is a 4D simulator. This however didn't really appeal to me. It has potential, but somehow didn't really connect with me. Maybe for the younger ones it works better. All you do is stand in a room with 3D glasses and a film rolls (spoiler: it contains shark(s) ) with effects.

Sadly, they are both upcharge: 5 euros for a go, each. If you ask me, I'd definitely recommend Santa Claus World! You can even buy a photo with Santa! (We did, and got an awesome group photo :lmao: )

Finally, this year Linnanmäki has dynamic pricing and longer opening hours during fall. Last time Linnanmäki was open after 10pm was five or six years ago, and this year they decided to give it another go. With darkness falling around 7 or 8 the rides' lights really pop out during the Carnival of Lights in October. I'm already looking forward to it!

001.JPG
Kingi's entrance
002.jpg
On of the lions guarding the entrance. These lions can also be found in the finnish national coat-of-arms
003.jpg
Queue starts to the left, goes clockwise around halfway before turning to counter-clockwise. Basically the queue goes around the whole tower.
004.jpg
More of the queue and operators booth.
005.jpg
The car. I really like the logo :)
006.jpg
Didn't forget you Larry
007.jpg
Going up...
008.jpg
The catch car with some dramatic lighting. Sadly I couldn't get a photo of the tower fully lit.
009.jpg
Just the right height for Linnanmäki.
0010.jpg
The two towers: freefall drop and Panorama.
0011.jpg
Shark Attack. Meh.
0012.jpg
Santa Claus World. Awesome!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:45 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:
gisco wrote:Can't wait to get Chris on this thing! He loves drop towers! :lmao:

You are a mean mean man...

:nina:
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Nice to see the tower up and running. I like how it has stuff written under the seats (the name and so on)
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!