Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Samuel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 pm

I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.
Last edited by Samuel on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm

I thought it was running great on Memorial Day weekend and way faster than my rides in 2017. In terms of roughness, I thought it was smooth but I've been known to find rides like Zeus no problem. :lol:
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Holiday World & Indiana Beach

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am

For anyone worried about some potholes, the big one between the two tunnels on that straightaway after the bridge will be fixed this fall. Perhaps as we speak, because the trucks from Texas were arriving as the park was winding down Monday night. Several other areas that have not received major improvements since opening will also be addressed. As a reference to the scale of this fall refurbishment, we had to rearrange some employee parking to accommodate the massive lumber delivery.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby pryonisys » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Samuel wrote:I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.

I was the one who said I got a headache on it earlier this summer. It is still a great ride, and I love all the work that Waldameer done on it consistently to keep it great.
I had ridden it a couple of more times this summer after my rough ride earlier, no other times that I rode it was it that rough, so I just chalk it up to having one out of control ride.
All the other times I rode it I had great rides, so that's just a bit interesting.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:12 pm

According to the Waldameer Facebook page, the track for the SBF spinner has arrived. I heard that it would be going in front of Pirate's Cove where the live entertainment stage is, but then again, what do I know?
76178948_2403719013009442_2911014445364805632_o.jpg
There is only one true Blue Streak!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 pm

^Correct. Showtime Theater and the ugly Water Wars game have been retired to make room for Whirlwind.

Postby pryonisys » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 am

It will be a bit odd having two spinning coasters so close to eachother, but it will be nice to have this one as a step up to steel dragon for younger kids

Postby BitterOldHag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:53 am

Waldameer "plans" to open on July 3 for the season. Reservations and masks required, Pirate's Cove closed for obvious reasons, and everyone must buy an admission. There will be no individual points or free admission this year. Here is the link: https://waldameer.com/covid-19-information/

Looking forward to visiting and hoping for nothing but good things for this awesome family park.

Postby pryonisys » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 am

Interesting thing is season pass holders don't need to make reservations, so hopefully that works well for them (I'm sure they know what to expect for numbers from season pass holders from previous years).
Don't know how much I'll make it there this year, but I may get a pass just to support the local park.

Postby BitterOldHag » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:00 am

Went to Waldameer yesterday and enjoyed my visit as usual, even with the restrictions in place. Crowds were very light, so lines were no issue. Anytime the Whacky Shack is a walk on for two and a half hours, you know it is a slow day. Rode my first SbF Visa family spinning coaster as that is one if Waldameer’s 2 new attractions for 2020 (the other being a 6 lane racing slide for Water World). I actually enjoyed it and can see why they are popping up all over. Ravine Flyer II has the second seat of each car roped off (not sure of the back car though) but was running beautifully. The park looked fantastic with its landscaping, so major props to the staff for that.

My lone complaint was the use of masks. Most kids/teens were taking them off on the rides and wearing them under the nose on the midways. I didn’t see anyone enforcing the rule either. I did see Park owner Mister Nelson on a golf cart wearing his mask... I wish he’d enforce the rule as it seems he doesn’t take crap from anyone! :) I do want to compliment the employees as they were all very friendly and seemed to be having a good time interacting with the guests. A good example was the girl operating The Music Express who was enthusiastically asking riders to scream louder if they wanted to go faster... despite just 2 riders being on board!

Overall, it was an enjoyable visit, I did feel safe with all of the hand sanitizer everywhere and my wearing a mask, and it was just nice being at a park after all this craziness has affected all of us. Thanks again to the good folks at Waldameer for doing everything they are so that some of us can have a fun and safe time during these “uncertain, challenging, unprecedented” times...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!