Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 27, 2019 7:37 am

pryonisys wrote:The weather ended up being great today, I hope you had a great time

It got windy towards the end of the night, but we had a great time. Ravine Flyer II was running so much faster than it was for my 2017 visit (probably because there was a full train this time).
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby alilstronger » Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 am

WOW! I had such a great time Saturday. The weather ended up being beautiful!

I had not been to the park in about 5 years. The gardens were just as beautiful as before and I think the new water park area looks great.... now lets fill it with more slides hehe

Both Music Express and Chaos look great in their locations. The Music Express and Scrambler ran awesome cycles. Ali Baba felt very short and Chaos only flips twice - which I guess is good enough.

This was my first time to the water park and its really nice. The slides are fun. My only down with the water park was having to walk so far to get to the two speed slides entrance from their exit.

The staff was overall very friendly and the dispatches on Ravine Flyer II were fairly close which I liked since they were only using one train. It still runs amazing! Being on it brought back so many memories of my backlot tour of it with TPR as well as our hour long ERT time on it.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue May 28, 2019 10:39 am

Visited the park Sunday night. Just poked in to give Ravine Flyer a spin (we were up in Wine Country for the day). Such beautiful views as it was near sunset. Park is super well kept. And they keep finding little plots of space for new rides. I like how they've kept this small park feel while offering a surprising amount in the way of flats and slides. Ravine Flyer itself seemed to be running better than ever. Super smooth and speedy.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm

^ Maybe it wasn't just the full train then. Sounds like Ravine Flyer II is running particularly well this year.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby operative_me » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 am

Looking forward to my 2nd ever visit to Waldameer next week, last year my girlfriend and I had a great time and this wonderful gem of a park. I was looking online with no success, but is their any discount ticket deals that anyone knows about? E.g. a particular supermarket selling tickets, or some sort of online promo code? I don't have AAA (yeah I know), actually I'm not a member of anything. We will be getting the combo passes as we both enjoyed Water World last year as well.

And yes, I know I am coming across as a cheap a$$ as the park is a damn good deal anyway, but if I save a few dollars I can use it to get an extra Greek Dog across the street at Schickalay's. ;)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am

operative_me wrote:Looking forward to my 2nd ever visit to Waldameer next week, last year my girlfriend and I had a great time and this wonderful gem of a park. I was looking online with no success, but is their any discount ticket deals that anyone knows about? E.g. a particular supermarket selling tickets, or some sort of online promo code? I don't have AAA (yeah I know), actually I'm not a member of anything. We will be getting the combo passes as we both enjoyed Water World last year as well.

And yes, I know I am coming across as a cheap a$$ as the park is a damn good deal anyway, but if I save a few dollars I can use it to get an extra Greek Dog across the street at Schickalay's. ;)

When you get into Erie check out one of the Country Fair gas stations. They usually have Waldameer combo pass discounts up by the register (you may want to go to one that isn't right next to the park because of availability). It may only be a few dollars, but at least it's something.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Darthtater » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I have a road trip planned with my son tomorrow and the weather tomorrow in Erie looks less than ideal. We are not afraid of rain, but I was wondering how there rain policy usually gets handled. I know my local park Kennywood closes if it is rainy all day. Would love to sneak in all the rollercoasters if we can after we stop at Coneaut. Thank you!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Unless it has changed from 2017, Waldameer stayed open and ran all rides in a torrential downpour. They did close 2 hours early, but I was one of like 10 people in the park so I don't blame them one bit.

Conneaut seems quick to close in rain so I'd keep an eye on them.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby operative_me » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Last year they kept running Ravine Flyer in a downpour, it made it a pretty wild ride.

Thanks for the tip pryonisys, I'll check for those. If it doesn't work out no biggie.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm surprised this didn't get more attention, but Waldameer's new-for-2019 inverting frisbee, Chaos, got stuck in the upside down position for 2 minutes this past Friday. From the article, it sounds like it was a programming error. Until the software engineer arrives and corrects the issue, the ride will be running a non-inverting cycle.

Engineer to examine Waldameer ride after malfunction

A malfunction Friday on the $1 million thrill ride caused it to stop for about two minutes while riders were inverted.

Waldameer Park & Water World’s new $1 million ride, Chaos, will continue to operate in a limited thrill-producing capacity after a malfunction on Friday caused the ride to stop in an inverted position for about two minutes.

A software engineer from Italy, where the ride was manufactured, is flying to Erie to determine the source of the malfunction. The engineer should arrive Wednesday, said Steve Gorman, president of Waldameer Park & Water World.

“In short, we’re still not sure,” what happened, Gorman said. “The ride is completely operated by a computer. The company thinks it was a board that wasn’t properly working. They’re going to replace that board and see if that solves the issue.”

The ride, unveiled earlier this season at the Millcreek Township amusement park, seats 16 people who face outward in a circular gondola. The pendulum ride sends riders swinging, spinning and then upside down as they soar 60 feet in the air.

Technicians with the ride’s manufacturer deemed it safe for Chaos to operate indefinitely without taking riders upside down, Gorman said.

“It’ll be like that until we can get this issue fixed,” he said.

Gorman said the ride was at full capacity or close to it at the time of the incident. Waldameer maintenance officials and its designated EMS responder arrived at the scene while riders were getting off the Chaos, Gorman said. None requested medical assistance, he said. Park officials shut down the ride for the remainder of the park’s operating hours on Friday.

Gorman said he’d received one email from a man who had a headache following the incident and another woman to whom he offered free passes because her daughter was on the ride and was upset by the experience.

Link to GoErie Article

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!