Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm

^ I sat in the 3rd row the first time, then the first row, which both were bad, the first was a little better, but not by a whole lot.

Also I really think the Wally Cards are an innovative and great idea, it's good for kids or teens if parents are gonna send their kids off on their own for a while, and it's easier than cash. :br
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ Sorry to hear about your rough rides on RF2.

I drove out a couple of weeks ago, bought the Wally card and did two rides on it - once in the next to last seat and once in the front. Both rides were sublime.

Same here -- similar seats, too! Some of the GG woodies can be ornery, but I think Ravine Flyer has been running really well. It's definitely wild and aggressive, but the park has kept it fun and totally free of jackhammering and potholes.

That said, there are a ton of factors that influence ride experience; for example, Magnum reviews are regularly all over the place -- and I've had my share of terrific, terrible, and just okay rides on it. I've also had night rides on Millennium Force that are coaster nirvana, and then I get back on it the following morning and both the coaster and I are groggy. It's definitely possible to get thrown around on Ravine Flyer, but I hope you'll give it another chance, DarienPoint!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Great reports! Waldameer is a bucket-list park for me. I was in the area a couple of years back, but couldn't swing it with my schedule. The coaster looks fantastic, but the dark rides look amazing too.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 am

I took my brother to Waldameer on Saturday night. He grew up in Erie, but lives in South Carolina now. He was visiting for the weekend and said he hadn't been to the park for about 20 years so he hadn't been on Ravine Flyer 2 yet.

We wandered around a little and looked at all the remembered rides from childhood and the expansions that have happened in the past decade or so. The park was the busiest that I've seen it in years (I never visit over the weekend though) so that's good for the future of the park.

The review from someone who had never ridden RF2 before was that he thought it was fantastic and he was amazed that Waldameer has a "real" roller coaster. (the only coaster there the last time he was in the park was the Comet)
Overall a good time and a nice review of the park and the prime attraction.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby BitterOldHag » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am

Even though it's been known for a while, Waldameer has officially announced their new-for-2019 "Chaos", a Zamperla looping pendulum ride. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Waldameer/posts/

I have been visiting Waldameer since 1991 and it has been a blast watching the park grow and expand. Mr. Nelson has made terrific choices in their additions over the years and the result of that has been a small park that has thrived rather than faded away like so many others have. While Chaos is definitely too intense for these old bones, it will be fun to watch others go head-over-heels for the first time at Waldameer since a Loop-O-Plane was there way before my time!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

BitterOldHag wrote:Even though it's been known for a while, Waldameer has officially announced their new-for-2019 "Chaos"

BitterOldHag wrote:a Zamperla looping pendulum ride. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Waldameer/posts/

:lol: Kidding. Those are great rides and it's a great addition. But like... for a second there I was losing my sh*t.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am

Perfect ride for this park!
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Another nice flat for the park! Is this their first inverting ride?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby BitterOldHag » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 am

Like coasterbill, I too wish that this was an actual Chance Chaos. But alas, it is not to be! At least the park still has a Sky Ride though. :)

And CanobieCoaster, yes, this is the only ride at the park that turns passengers upside-down. I do recall reading something here (or perhaps in a video) that the park is going to see how well the upside-down option goes over with visitors. If they feel it would be better off as a non-inverting frisbee ride, they can set the ride cycle that way. Of course, I could just be hallucinating with all of the medication I have been on recently!

Postby alilstronger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am

BitterOldHag wrote:Like coasterbill, I too wish that this was an actual Chance Chaos. But alas, it is not to be! At least the park still has a Sky Ride though. :)

And CanobieCoaster, yes, this is the only ride at the park that turns passengers upside-down. I do recall reading something here (or perhaps in a video) that the park is going to see how well the upside-down option goes over with visitors. If they feel it would be better off as a non-inverting frisbee ride, they can set the ride cycle that way. Of course, I could just be hallucinating with all of the medication I have been on recently!

I too have read somewhere that said they purposely have had nothing in the park that went upside down. I guess they are using this as a starting point.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!