Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm

^ Wow I thought Ravine Flyer 2 was pretty smooth last year considering the aggressive layout. Glad to see their star attraction getting the love it deserves.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pryonisys » Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Well that answers the question I had about where that ride would fit. It's nice to see the park I grew up with continuing to get love.
I hope that somehow Erie figures out a way to fix all the issues that they have (not park related) so that Waldameer has the capability (and a good reason) to keep improving.

I also thought Ravine Flyer was very smooth last year, but I'm happy that they are continuing to maintain it so well.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby JT325 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 am

The attention to care and detail Waldameer gives their rides and park always amazes me. Over the last few years this park has become one of my top favorites! Ravine Flyer 2 is a wild and awesome ride, but my favorite at the park is still Comet. With it's truly classic seating and beautiful curved station, all updated with (curved!) magnetic brakes to enable 2 train ops. The amount of fun I have at this place... night rides on the flume, the dark rides, the Spider, the charm. The awesome sky ride, the list goes on.
#CPFrontierLift2019

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 pm

I must say, Ravine Flyer is in my top coasters. Looking at the lift hill is soooo deceiving. My first impression was that there is no way in heck there's a 120 foot drop off that thing. It looks so small. Then get on it, and wow ! As it climbs the lift and you see the best view of any coaster out onto Lake Erie for a brief moment, then the drop. My first impression was where the heck did that come from. That drop ranks so high on my list. Yeah, If I'm ever in the area again, it is a must do. And yes, Comt is really cool too.
DSCN6681.JPG

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks to a change in travel plans, just got to add Waldameer to my park schedule for this summer! I'll be there on Tuesday, June 26th, so I don't imagine crowds will be much of an issue and I should be able to get to everything in the park. That makes ride "must-dos" pretty much irrelevant, so more importantly, are there any must try restaurants or snacks here? I saw mention of a deep fried pretzel a couple pages back...anything else that's worth going out of the way for, or should I plan on finding food outside the park instead?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pryonisys » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am

Rai Fox wrote:Thanks to a change in travel plans, just got to add Waldameer to my park schedule for this summer! I'll be there on Tuesday, June 26th, so I don't imagine crowds will be much of an issue and I should be able to get to everything in the park. That makes ride "must-dos" pretty much irrelevant, so more importantly, are there any must try restaurants or snacks here? I saw mention of a deep fried pretzel a couple pages back...anything else that's worth going out of the way for, or should I plan on finding food outside the park instead?

IMO get food outside of the park.
The park food is inexpensive as far as park food goes, but I've personally never been a fan of Waldameer's food options, it all seems very generic to me (Disclaimer: I was raised in a family that brought a cooler to amusement parks and made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and that frugalness has carried on into my adulthood, so my opinion doesn't line up well with most park goers when it comes to food).

With easy access and free parking it's really no problem to get out of the park for food, there are some decent sit down restaurants right on the Peninsula Ave (the road the park's main entrance is on), I've only been there once but Joe Roots Grill which is very close to the park is an ok lunch spot. There are a lot of places on West Lake Road also. It really all depends what you are looking for in terms of food.

A local favorite for burgers and hot dogs is Sara's which is just north of Waldameer at the entrance to Presque Isle. (Not a place I frequent very often as a company I used to work for managed their computers so if I was there to eat they would always ask me to fix their computer issues).

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 am

Rai Fox wrote:Thanks to a change in travel plans, just got to add Waldameer to my park schedule for this summer! I'll be there on Tuesday, June 26th, so I don't imagine crowds will be much of an issue and I should be able to get to everything in the park. That makes ride "must-dos" pretty much irrelevant, so more importantly, are there any must try restaurants or snacks here? I saw mention of a deep fried pretzel a couple pages back...anything else that's worth going out of the way for, or should I plan on finding food outside the park instead?

Nice! I think you'll have an awesome time. I'll be heading to the park this weekend, and I recommend stopping by a little Erie culture credit called Sara's immediately outside the park -- just beyond the Ravine Flyer's road flyover. It's an unapologetic jukebox diner-and-ice-cream joint that serves some standard food, but also some of the best milkshakes (and ice cream) around, and it'll just charm the pants off of you.

It's a popular spot with the locals and is one of my favorite places to pop in when I go to the park. The ice cream and roadside attraction kitsch are more than worth the 15 seconds it takes to get there from the park.

You might take up another option for dinner, but you can't go wrong checking it out and having a dessert.

Google images for Sara's

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 am

I was just at Sara's the other day on a weekday (needed a break from sitting in a hospital room) around 3:00 and it was packed. So if you go, be ready for big crowds if it's a nice day - especially if you go on a Saturday. As others have mentioned, it's extremely popular with the beach/Waldameer crowd as well as locals.

I have heard that the small place across from the park has good food (and beer). Can't recall the name of it, but I am thinking of trying it within the next day or two, so I'll grab some pics. My Dad said that they have great gyros and they have what locals call "Greek hot dogs" which are like chili dogs, but with just meat sauce on them. Never had them, but may try one to see if it's better than Sara's chili dog.

And as others have mentioned, Waldameer isn't really known for it's stellar park food. They have the basics, but none that I have had really stood out as delicious or must-haves.

Edit - the place across the street is called Schickalay's On The Bay.

FB page
Last edited by Philrad71 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am

I was probably the one recommending the deep fried pretzel. It was unique, delicious, and cheap.

Also know that even if it's torrential downpours all day, Waldameer will be open and running everything. Their rain policy is amazing and I was actually stunned they even opened on the day I visited last year. Waldameer is fantastic.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks! I'll just have to wait for Knoebels later in the summer for the spectacular park food, then. I'll probably end up giving Sara's a try!

I remember reading about their rain policy here; that was actually one of the deciding factors for making a stop there. I'm fitting it into the middle of a road trip, so there's not really any wiggle room to do it any other day; it's that tuesday or nothing. Knowing it'll almost certainly be open no matter what the weather ends up being is a big plus.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!