Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby pryonisys » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:18 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Ravine Flyer II is amazing. That first drop gives crazy ejector air in the back and the first half has fantastic speed and airtime. The second half is noticeably less intense and it seemed to crawl over the final hills, but overall it was the perfect mix of intensity with reridablity. I got 27 rides in. I'm trying to decide where to rank it. It's definitely behind my big 4 woodies, but it's tough to pick between Cornball, Shivering Timbers, and Ravine Flyer.

I struggle to remember if Ravine Flyer has always been a bit slower in the second half (I agree it is) but until this year I had only ridden in with full trains, so I'm sure that effects the end of the ride. The first half is great thought if they could have kept that intensity throughout it would be a near perfect coaster for me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:55 pm

^ I watched a POV from a few years back and it looks similar speed. It doesn't seem like the empty trains were hurting the speed too much. Granted the rain maybe cancelled that out.

Philrad71 wrote:My Dad and his wife have been taking Michael to his treatments in Erie every day during the week and they said that it was REALLY pouring down rain to where the streets were getting flooded yesterday morning/afternoon.

Glad to hear that you were able to get your rides in - it's great to hear that RF2 was running good as some people have said that it's gotten rough in the past couple of years. I need to get out there soon to ride it again. Having such a great coaster only one hour from me, it seems stupid for me to type that it's been over 3 years since I have ridden it!

I'd love to have Ravine Flyer II within an hour of me. That coaster was fantastic. I didn't find it rough at all and that included rides in the very back on the wheel seat. Some of the maneuvers are aggressive and throw you to the side a bit, but nothing I'd consider rough.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Turtle Wax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Glad to hear that you were able to get your rides in - it's great to hear that RF2 was running good as some people have said that it's gotten rough in the past couple of years.

I go to Waldameer 9-10 times a year and I can guarantee you Ravine Flyer 2 is nowhere near "rough". Waldameer does a fantastic job with upkeep on that coaster!
-Bryan
1165 Magnum XL-200 Laps in 2010!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:17 pm

I was up at Waldameer today after not being there for about four years. A lot has changed since my last visit and the park looks even better now that the wristband booths have been removed from the midway. Also happy that the old inn was removed and the parking lot expanded and paved. It was much needed.

I thought RFII had a slight hint of roughness on my two rides. First ride was towards the back of the red train, which is where I felt it more than towards the front of the blue train on my second ride. It didn't detract from the overall ride experience and I didn't think it slowed down at all during the second half with the trains running pretty much full. Of course night rides is where it's at as RFII is one of the best night ride coasters out there.

It's still best wooden coaster in the entire region. Glad that I live 1.5 hours from it.

An thought came to me while on my way home from the park - I know the wristbands seem to work well for the park but now that the booths have been moved to create new entrances, do you think Waldameer would ever consider pay one price for the rides but keep the wristbands for Water World? It seems the scanning of wristbands at some rides seem to slow down loading times (i.e. Music Express, which is still one of the best versions of that ride I've been on and Steel Dragon, one of my favorite spinning coasters).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:29 am

I had heard how great of a night ride Ravine Flyer II was and was looking forward to trying it then but the park closed early due to low crowds. I can't really complain though since I got something like 30 rides on it.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:50 pm

New for 2018:

www.goerie.com/news/20170813/erie-park-to-open-two-new-rides-in-2018
Waldameer to spend about $1 million to buy and install the attractions.

Waldameer Park & Water World visitors will have two new attractions to ride in 2018.

The Millcreek Township amusement park will install a Samba Balloon Ride for children and adults in the park, and a Cannonbowl 30 tube slide as part of the water park. Both rides are expected to be ready for the start of the 2018 season.

“We’re in the middle of a five- to six-year expansion of the water park, but we also wanted to add something to the amusement park as well,” Waldameer owner Paul Nelson said. “We will start getting ready for the new rides as soon as the season ends in September.”

Buying and installing the new rides will cost about $1 million, Nelson said. It follows the water park’s $2.5 million Battle of Lake Erie water playground that opened in July.

The Samba Balloon Ride is built by Zamperla, an Italian-based company that has built six other Waldameer rides. The attraction features eight cars that can hold up to four people each and are decorated to look like balloon baskets.

The balloon ride rotates, rises and falls, and is designed for children and their parents, Nelson said.

“We’re a family park, not just a park for teenagers,” Nelson said. “We needed a nice, family ride with a good capacity. This ride can hold 32 people.”

The Cannonbowl 30 is built by ProSlide, an Ontario-based company. It’s a two-person tube slide where riders are swept into a bowl at a high speed and spin several times around the wall of the bowl.

Riders will have to be at least 42 inches tall to ride the Cannonbowl 30.

“It will be a thrilling ride for older kids and young adults,” Waldameer President Steve Gorman said.

The balloon ride will be located near Kiddieland, while the Cannonbowl 30 will be installed off the same platform as two of the water park’s slides, Gorman said.

Waldameer also is selling 2018 season passes. Those who buy them now also receive admission to the park for the rest of the 2017 season.

The cost is $99.95 for those 48 inches and taller, a slight increase from the $96 charged for the 2017 season pass.
cannonbowl30.JPG
http://www.goerie.com/news/20160927/eries-waldameer-looks-to-make-another-splash-in-2017
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 am.
Coaster Count: 128
Top 10:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser
6-Mako...7-Montu...8-Kraken...9-Diamondback...10-Twisted Cyclone

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Solid additions as always. I love how wisely this park as grown over the past decade.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby CoasterLine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Looks like we're finally getting the bowl to fill that "phantom" spot where the third tube was supposed to go on the south most set of slides. I dig it. Definitely is nice to have another slide added after basically staying static in the slides department since Water World opened.

Only thing I am curious about with these additions is where the balloon ride will go. I'm guessing it will go in the vacant area that the old Kiddle splash pool used to be (behind where the Happy Swing is now). As of now, that is just a vacant grass patch.

Definitely solid additions, and keeping with something new every year. Waldameer is definitely on a good streak lately. It's amazing to see the growth in the park over the last ten years.
Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer / Partner
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Yep...solid additions indeed.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am

Yeah, I was at the park this year and noticed some ads for the new water slide placed in Water World. Truly, they have a great water park as it is, and this is just another solid addition.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!