Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 19 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:33 pm

My only dislike about it is capacity is horrible. I was there a few days ago and the park was dead, everything was a walk on except for it. It had about a 30 minute wait. I know it's new, but when you see the 30 minute line, you will know what I'm talking about. A thirty minute line would be like 10 - 15 mins max on a regular coaster at Dollywood and pretty much any park. A 30 min line isn't a very long line of people on dragonflyer

The day I was there only had a small portion of parking lot c full. A is handicap, B is a very small lot, and C is next so that shows you there weren't many guest

The ride itself is great and it really comes off the drop at a great speed and feels like a zippy little coaster. I enjoyed it my few rides this year, but haven't ridden it much due to the wait

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dstephe9 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 pm.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Gender: None specified

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby TEDodd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 pm

dstephe9 wrote:My only dislike about it is capacity is horrible. I was there a few days ago and the park was dead, everything was a walk on except for it. It had about a 30 minute wait. I know it's new, but when you see the 30 minute line, you will know what I'm talking about.


Same as any new coaster there. Even after a few years Firechaser regularly has 3x the wait of anything else. And remember WE lines out to the statue? LR lines to Rampage entrance?

But I stood in the DF queue for over an hour the one time I rode it so yes it's not a lot of people. And agree capacity is low. I figure it'll be better next year and take pressure of FCE. Win win.
Last edited by TEDodd on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 pm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Gender: None specified

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby megan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:17 pm

As they grow they really need to think about capacity though. If they want to “compete with Disney” take note, they would never open a “headliner” that runs only one train. They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...
User avatar
 
Posts: 6381
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 28

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:27 pm

megan wrote:They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

That particular Vekoma layout and its smaller sister (Kvasten, Freedom Flyer, et al) have only ever been designed to accommodate one train, as the only brake sections are in the station. A brake run before the station would really shorten the ride, those layouts don't last very long.

I wouldn't consider Dragonflier a headliner though, on Disney's scale that's a D-ticket at best.

Perhaps they're accepting that wait times for Dragonflier will be a bit unreasonable for a few seasons but, long-term, will eventually die down when another major family attraction opens.
Image
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?
 
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby tndank » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 pm

It's a good ride. I rarely ride it cause of the line but I think it's a good "now and again" coaster.

I still can't believe they put in a 1 train family coaster, though. The longest coaster line most days is the other family coaster. If you are going for a whole new family / kid section why do you put in a single train coaster as the premier ride in that attraction? Seems odd.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?
User avatar
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 16 Jun 2016
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby sdcfan88 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:25 pm

I do think Hershend will eventually dip (see what I did there) into the hyper/giga coaster wars at their parks within the next 5 or 10 years, considering they are wanting to push the envelope and build hype by marketing their coasters as game changers along with being the tallest/steepest/fastest etc. They also see coasters like Intimidator and Fury 325 (just a few hours down the road from DW) being what they are and seeing how well they are loved by the general public and enthusiasts. Their high capacity is also fantastic. That plot of land next to the new area will be a perfect candidate. Hopefully its a B&M. (personal preference)
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:28 pm

The most recent coaster survey for Dollywood (this year) included an out and back hyper. Not giga but they might go the giga route

All the themes for the other rides and coasters made it sound like they were looking for interest in rides for the area next to Wildwood Grove

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Gender: None specified

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby megan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 am

tndank wrote:It's a good ride. I rarely ride it cause of the line but I think it's a good "now and again" coaster.

I still can't believe they put in a 1 train family coaster, though. The longest coaster line most days is the other family coaster. If you are going for a whole new family / kid section why do you put in a single train coaster as the premier ride in that attraction? Seems odd.



That’s what meant by “headliner” not for the park specifically, but for the heavily marketed new area.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Gender: None specified

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby megan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 am

A.J. wrote:
megan wrote:They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

That particular Vekoma layout and its smaller sister (Kvasten, Freedom Flyer, et al) have only ever been designed to accommodate one train, as the only brake sections are in the station. A brake run before the station would really shorten the ride, those layouts don't last very long.

I wouldn't consider Dragonflier a headliner though, on Disney's scale that's a D-ticket at best.

Perhaps they're accepting that wait times for Dragonflier will be a bit unreasonable for a few seasons but, long-term, will eventually die down when another major family attraction opens.


You made a few of my points. I know that’s an off the shelf design. That’s why I question them even using it. The point being they’re going to need to spend a bit more to meet their growing demand. And yes, it’s a “d” on a Disney scale, but DW is marketing it heavily and treating it (as part of the entire expansion) as their headliner this year.
They may be “accepting” unreasonable wait times, but is that really the best guest experience?

I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 am

That was kind of my entire thing when this ride was announced. The new Wildwood Grove area was supposed to help with park capacity and then they decide to build and off the shelf design coaster with very low capacity, although it is a very fun ride.

But here's what I keep remembering

1.) Dollywood doesn't have the funds of Disney and they wanted something inexpensive, and quick to build
2.) The expansion isn't complete, and when it is complete I do see a much larger ride, rather it be a coaster, new dark ride, or something else being the main headliner of the area to pull some of that crowd

To me though, that doesn't excuse a family coaster with low capacity. Family coasters, in most parks like Dollywood, draw some of the highest crowds. So while the ride is new, I don't see the lines going down even after the newness wears off.

And yes, Dollywood does treat it as the headliner. All the billboards around here either have it or the tree on it, but there's nothing wrong with it being treated as a headliner. It's a fun ride, it just kind of defeats the purpose of being used in an area to help with overall capacity of the park.

Also there have been several interviews of people worried about the capacity of it and they always sneak around that question so Dollywood was aware of it, possibly just all the could afford money wise or development wise (time and energy) to get a coaster in the new area quickly

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 19 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron