SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:38 pm

^High enough that the vast majority of people would get quite injured jumping off. Not a feasible solution.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Norwegian coasterfan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:54 pm

I’m not from California and don’t really know how things work there. However if every gondola/ chairlift in Norway had to be removed after a breakdown all our ski resorts would be out of business ;) And when they stop the temperature is usually between -5C to -20C (23F to -4F) :|

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Norwegian coasterfan wrote:I’m not from California and don’t really know how things work there. However if every gondola/ chairlift in Norway had to be removed after a breakdown all our ski resorts would be out of business ;) And when they stop the temperature is usually between -5C to -20C (23F to -4F) :|

Yeah, but the difference here was this was a theme park ride with average guests. Not skiers, active, and dressed for cold weather. =)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Norwegian coasterfan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:14 pm

SharkTums wrote:
Norwegian coasterfan wrote:I’m not from California and don’t really know how things work there. However if every gondola/ chairlift in Norway had to be removed after a breakdown all our ski resorts would be out of business ;) And when they stop the temperature is usually between -5C to -20C (23F to -4F) :|

Yeah, but the difference here was this was a theme park ride with average guests. Not skiers, active, and dressed for cold weather. =)

Yeah that’s true ;) I think it will be fine though :)

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but how far up off the water are these things? Like aside from the baby and paralyzed person, would it be possible to safely jump into the water?

"OK everyone just go ahead and jump. It's the only way down. Except the baby and the paralyzed person. Just leave them there. "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm

The NWS forecast issued yesterday afternoon for coastal San Diego County was for winds of 15-20 MPH with gusts of up to 30 MPH.

Three peak wind gusts from nearby locations last evening:

San Diego International Airport / 33 MPH / 6:20 PM
Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport / 23 MPH / 6:35 PM
Scripps Pier (La Jolla) / 44 MPH / 6:20 PM

Ultimately, if Bill's got the right number here:
coasterbill wrote:...a ride with a wind limit of about 20 MPH...

...then with a forecast for 30 MPH gusts, they should have never been running the ride.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:01 pm

boldikus wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but how far up off the water are these things? Like aside from the baby and paralyzed person, would it be possible to safely jump into the water?

"OK everyone just go ahead and jump. It's the only way down. Except the baby and the paralyzed person. Just leave them there. "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We laugh at this but it reminded me of the girl who jumped down from a similar style of ride. I don't remember why she was hanging. I want to say it was her fault. Oh and 49 is cold :lmao:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3554176/girl-hangs-six-flags-amusement-park-ride/

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Mrlittle wrote:I want to say it was her fault. Oh and 49 is cold :lmao:

we're in Texas tho.

Texas "cold" counts about as much as California "cold". . .LOL. . as in . . not really.

People thought it was "cold" when I went to Fiesta Texas on Sat, and it was in the low 60's.

:p

(I moved to Texas when I was 7, so I remember New Jersey winter. . THAT is "cold")

ETA: it *is* a bit chilly in Austin today, with the temps hovering around 42, and drizzling all day. So I wouldn't argue it was chilly, or "cold" if someone wanted to describe it that way today. . . :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

The Great Zo wrote:Ultimately, if Bill's got the right number here:
coasterbill wrote:...a ride with a wind limit of about 20 MPH...

I don't know the exact number for that specific ride but basically every Von Roll seems to have a limit of 20-25 MPH and they often post this (I believe Great Adventure is 23). That said, each park is different with how they handle it. Great Adventure's ride will automatically stop if the computer detects a strong gusts, other parks will rely on a phone call to the ride platform telling the crew to shut the ride down. It's not always an exact science.

In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard. For example: this took place at a nearby Safari park. I've heard that riders experienced a 60mph gust at the top of the Skyway and that's probably about right but I haven't been able to confirm it and haven't really tried that hard.

Occasionally random, crazy gusts on days with otherwise light winds are going to happen though. I'm not going to play Monday morning quarterback.
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

bert425 wrote:
Mrlittle wrote:I want to say it was her fault. Oh and 49 is cold :lmao:

we're in Texas tho.

We ride 80mph hypercoasters when its 20 degrees here. 49 degrees is t-shirt weather.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!