SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 133: Aquatica San Diego to become Sesame Place San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: Animal and 33 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby Coasterguy21 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:15 am

jynx242 wrote:Is this coaster going to be near their Shark Exhibit? Will they theme it like they did with Mako in Orlando?

Hopefully they do because they did a great job and brought life back to the Shark part of the park (which was always one of my favorites.)

D

It's not. The closest animal attraction to Mako will be Wild Arctic. Mako is being built adjacent to Journey to Atlantis.

They did announce that they were going to be pumping some money into a Shark Encounter renovation though.
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 pm

I’ve never been to the park but with the nice additions in recent years I’ll for sure be making my first trip in 2020!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:58 pm

FYI to anyone visiting soon, Manta is closed until February. This was a late add to the rehab schedule. It wasn't there when I checked two weeks ago.

On a positive note, Electric Eel is a great addition.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Since it hasn't been posted yet here, a document used at a city council review in San Diego includes Mako's layout as well as renderings showing the impact on the skyline. You can find that document here:

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/2020_sd_city_planning_presentation_1_17_19.pdf

There are a couple of Nolimits renderings of this layout on youtube. I'll post the slide outlining the layout--looks to be a good dive coaster!

2019-01-25.png

I think the whole document is an interesting read. It also mentions a "Maximum of 18 riders at once." Given the layout, I assume this means the trains will have 3 6-seat rows
2019-01-25 (5).png
Fiesta Island Rendering
2019-01-25 (3).png
Mission bay bridge rendering from document

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

I wanted to Overlay the design over the map, to see a larger positioning.
Sea World.jpg

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Based on the layout and series of elements/inversions, I am really getting Valkyria vibes from this. My fingers are crossed it has the regular 6-across dive trains (like Baron, Krake, etc.) as opposed to the ones with vests. I can see it going either way.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 pm

I wouldn't count on it. Those are just the seats that B&M is using now.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm

A.J. wrote:I wouldn't count on it. Those are just the seats that B&M is using now.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Just remember that the new B&M Dive coaster that opened in South Korea last year features B&M's original restraints, which leads me to believe it is a park decision and not B&M's. I think it could really go either way, and even though it's a small feature, I really do think it makes a difference in ride experience.

But I digress. This is a fantastic addition to the park and the first B&M in SoCal since Tatsu 13 years ago, so I'm thrilled.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 am

I saw on twitter that last night some gondolas got stuck after wind caused the circuit breaker to flip. 16 people had to be rescued. It was a cold night too. Had to be tough to rescue people above water. This won’t be good for the park but glad to hear everyone was rescued eventually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/16-people-rescued-from-gondola-ride-at-seaworld-/5144798/

I guess I’m surprised because I would of thought these kinds of rides would have a backup generator or pulley system in case something like this was to happen.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:28 am

Mrlittle wrote:I saw on twitter that last night some gondolas got stuck after wind caused the circuit breaker to flip. 16 people had to be rescued. It was a cold night too. Had to be tough to rescue people above water. This won’t be good for the park but glad to hear everyone was rescued eventually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/16-people-rescued-from-gondola-ride-at-seaworld-/5144798/

I guess I’m surprised because I would of thought these kinds of rides would have a backup generator or pulley system in case something like this was to happen.

Making the national news everywhere now. Love the 15 year old boy and his dad that were freezing cold and scared the gondola was going to drop at any minute. :roll:

I do agree though, seems odd they had to evacuate everyone and not have some backup to pull them back in.

So is this the end of that ride now? Bummer!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!