Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm

prozach626 wrote:How are crowds on Sundays?

The only rides that will have wait times over 10 minutes will probably be Flying Turns and Impulse. You'll be fine.

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:FWIW, prior to my visit to the park, I thought carousels were boring and stupid. I rode it begrudgingly, only because of the feedback from others, and I ended up riding it about six times during my visit. The brass ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings are addicting

A brass ring carousel is basically a carousel thrill ride. Which, yes, sounds like an oxymoron/not possible (unless you've ridden the Rye Playland Derby Racer or a randomly super-fast regular carousel). Even if I miss the brass ring I still feel nervous with anticipation trying to grab as many steel ones as I can manage.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby prozach626 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 pm

^That's great to know. I'm hoping summer vacations won't be in full swing the first few days of June.
bert425 wrote:you should spend more time at Knoebel's. . . but I'm wondering why you aren't swinging by Kennywood while you are in Pittsburgh?

Well Bert... you did it. I mentioned to Emily that maybe we should also hit KW while in Pittsburgh as opposed to later in the summer. She's all for it.

Postby bert425 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

prozach626 wrote:^That's great to know. I'm hoping summer vacations won't be in full swing the first few days of June.
bert425 wrote:you should spend more time at Knoebel's. . . but I'm wondering why you aren't swinging by Kennywood while you are in Pittsburgh?

Well Bert... you did it. I mentioned to Emily that maybe we should also hit KW while in Pittsburgh as opposed to later in the summer. She's all for it.

glad to hear it. .

if you stay for more than a few hours, also hit up Exterminator, the Whip (and most everything in "old Kennywood") plus Noah's Ark . . Ghostwood Estates, turtle (if you've never been on this classic. . it's a great break in the day and a throwback ride), and of course, re-rides on JackRabbit. .that double down is amazing.

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby prozach626 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Emily thinks she can take a half day on Friday. We'll either drive the 9 and a half hours to Pittsburgh, or stay in Columbus (7hrs) and drive the rest of the way (2.5 hrs) the next day. That should give us a full day at KW, which is my most anticipated park this summer. Their old wooden coasters look amazing and Phantom's Revenge is my most anticipated coaster this summer. I guess doing it this way will save us two full days of driving later in the summer.

Everything seems to be working out pretty well. Now, I'm just waiting for that significant life event to cancel this particular trip, as it has the past two summers in a row.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 am

^This latest plan sounds great, Zach. From your previous posts and trip reports it seems like we have very similar tastes in parks and coasters. I'd be willing to bet you will absolutely love Kennywood and Hersheypark, and 8 hours at Knoebel's will be far more than enough.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 am

prozach626 wrote:After looking at Phil's old TR, I think the Scooters and Chair lift are also mandatory. Maybe the carousel, but it's not priority, brass ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings or not. Flyers don't do much for me and it's a little too much spinning for my tastes. My main concerns are Phoenix, Twister (x1), and Flying Turns. If I don't get to do Impulse, I won't be upset. Our main priority is not running around in a hurry.

How are crowds on Sundays?

Sundays typically aren't too bad, unless there's a special event at the park. I didn't see the exact dates you were planning the trip for, but according to their calendar, the first Sunday of June is "Autism Awareness Day", so it may be a touch more crowded than usual. Saturdays in general are way worse. Aside from Flying Turns, there shouldn't be any majorly long waits, so ty and knock that out as early as possible unless you want to get stuck in line for up to an hour. Even Impulse's waits don't really get that long anymore either.

Don't poo-poo the Flyers. Knoebels' are unlike any others you may have been on elsewhere. Even if it's only for one ride, give it a shot.

Staying at the Hershey Lodge is a great option. I've stayed there twice and it's a fantastic resort. As mentioned, make sure you catch the free shuttle to the park. And since you're staying on site, just flash your room key at the front gates and they will let you in an hour before the park officially opens. They usually only open up the Hollow area, but that gives you a choice of Comet, SDL, and Skyrush to marathon with no lines. No joke, you can usually get on and not have to give up your seat for at least a half hour. I don't expect it to be super busy on an early June weekday anyway but any time you can save a little bit of time with lines is worth it.

Kennywood'a coaster collection is great, here's hoping operations are better for you than the last few times I've been out there. Phantom's Revenge is my second favorite only behind Fury, so I hope you guys love it!
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:58 am

A note on Kennywood's operations. They are notorious for closing off queue lines before closing. If you want to get a night ride on Phantom's Revenge (and you totally should) do not wait until the last possible minute to get in that queue. Last time they closed it a half hour before closing, but it can vary.

At Knoebels, Flying Turns and Impulse will be the only two rides with any sort of wait. The latter has a single rider line that can save time.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby prozach626 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm

^Good to know about KW queues. As far as operations go, we plan on getting the VIP pass. I heard it's a really good value at this park and that it's a pretty decent skip the line pass.

DBru wrote: I'd be willing to bet you will absolutely love Kennywood and Hersheypark, and 8 hours at Knoebel's will be far more than enough.

Good to hear, man. I'm really excited for all three parks in the order you stated!

Sounds like I may have to give flying turns a try. As far as the Autism day, that's no concern for us. If it's a little more busy it's for a great cause. I tried to come up with a way to say this as politically correct as possible, but we actually take away a lot from watching the faces of people with developmental disabilities as they board and exit the rides. I envy the excitement they get out of the rides and it helps me not take the experiences at these parks for granted.

Emily absolutely loved her college internship of working with autism and developmentally disabled individuals. It was one of the job offers she received, but sadly the pay was near poverty level in our area and would have been barely enough to get by.

Sorry to derail the subject. I really appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me in reference to all three parks. I will most definitely look back on these posts several times prior to our trip.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 pm

prozach626 wrote:we actually take away a lot from watching the faces of people with developmental disabilities as they board and exit the rides. I envy the excitement they get out of the rides and it helps me not take the experiences at these parks for granted.

That's awesome! I think you know I have a kid with autism, and he's impressed quite a few people with how excited he gets about coasters, especially Outlaw Run. The look on his face really is something special.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!