Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 am

knoebelssign.JPG

Here's the sign. I really don't see how it violates any ADA policy as it still allows handicapped people to ride the ride. I mean the best thing to do would be to contact Knoebels before the trip and see how many trains they might be using that day.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:49 am

gisco wrote:
HWFan wrote:I just saw on Screamscape that wheelchair-bound guests are only allowed on the Flying Turns if it has one or two train operation. I'm in a wheelchair, and I was hoping to visit in 2014. Am I the only one who feels that this policy on a NEW ride is ridiculous? The only rides I've had trouble with in the past are rides built a long time before the ADA was passed. I was fine with that, but this policy is a slap in the face. It took them so long to build it, I figured they would've figured this out. I guess I'll be going elsewhere.

Before you get all upset, did you possible think it could be a safety issue? If the ride breaks down you could be stuck out on the track and it could be very difficult to evacuate you.

Its possible, but if that were the case, they probably wouldn't let anyone in a wheelchair to ride altogether reguardless if they were running two or three trains.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

^ A roller coaster can break down at any point of time, anywhere. It is just the fact that 3 and 4 train operation on this right causes higher than normal stops in the ride.

This fits right in with ADA standards.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 pm

For as long as I can remember, they've had a similar sign at Twister (and I think Phoenix) about having to be able to walk up the ramp if they're running more than 1 train. The only thing I can think of for a reason is that if the exit ramp gets obstructed, the station might end up over capacity. (However, I've never seen any capacity signs in either station. Contrast this with Dorney, where on my last visit there was a sign in Hydra's station saying 36 people, which is ridiculous since the train seats 32!)

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Dr. M » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 pm

I very distinctly remember a wheel chair sitting on the side of the station when I got off Flying Turns on Saturday (it was running three trains). I don't know if they made an exception because of how recently the ride opened, or maybe it depends on the operator, but it clearly wasn't being enforced that day.

Regardless, I very highly doubt it's purely for capacity reasons. That sounds illegal and very un-Knoebels.
-Dr. M

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm sure whatever the reason is, Knoebels didn't make the decision lightly.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:26 pm

^There was a similar sign at the Phoenix entrance last summer. I just assumed the park didn't want to run the risk (albeit slight) of the skid brakes failing to completely stop the train before the station, with another train in the station.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby HWFan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:37 pm

coastercrazy216 wrote:I really don't think its an issue. They are trying to maximize the capacity of an already low-capacity ride. It would really slow down the ride loading process.

If that's the case, then I'm sorry my disability would be an inconvenience for you. I'll make sure to stay out of your way. I don't really see it being a safety issue either because there are all kinds of rides that are probably hard to evacuate from, but I can still ride. Even at Holiday World, I see the Mammoth/Wildebeest and Voyage being harder than the Flying Turns purely out of speculation.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

sspaz1000 wrote:I really don't see how it violates any ADA policy as it still allows handicapped people to ride the ride.

Unless they're running all three trains that day, in which case, you can't. Considering how demanding the ADA revisions were that came into effect in 2011 on pretty much everything are, I'd be shocked if this was an acceptable loophole. I've literally never seen another business with a similar sign. I'd love to hear a real lawyer take a look at this and give an opinion (and with that; off to message lawyer friends on facebook)....

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy216 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:10 pm

HWFan wrote:
coastercrazy216 wrote:I really don't think its an issue. They are trying to maximize the capacity of an already low-capacity ride. It would really slow down the ride loading process.

If that's the case, then I'm sorry my disability would be an inconvenience for you. I'll make sure to stay out of your way. I don't really see it being a safety issue either because there are all kinds of rides that are probably hard to evacuate from, but I can still ride. Even at Holiday World, I see the Mammoth/Wildebeest and Voyage being harder than the Flying Turns purely out of speculation.

It isn't that it is an inconvenience, but it makes complete sense why the park is doing this. Think about it like a ride breaking down. The line stops moving and people get frustrated that they have been waiting in line for so long, only to have to wait longer. If the smooth operation of the ride comes to a halt because of one disabled guest, there are going to be some frustrated guests. I am not saying that it is right, but I totally understand why the park is doing it, and honestly, I am not going to question the judgment of Knoebels since they actually got FT up and running when many had given up on it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!