Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby SingleRiderCam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:30 pm

ImmelMatt wrote:Flying Turns is officially the Team Fortress 2 of roller coasters.

Fixed.
Favorite Steel- 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 325 3.Twisted Colossus 4.Maverick 5.Copperhead Strike
Favorite Wooden- 1.Lightning Rod 2.The Voyage 3.Phoenix 4.GhostRider 5.Mystic Timbers
Favorite Parks- 1.Disneyland 2.Dollywood 3.Epcot 4.Unviersal's Islands of Adventure 5.Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Put me in the category of people that really liked Flying Turns. We got to the park about an hour before they opened and only had about a 10 minute wait once 12:00 hit. Its definitely a family coaster but it's a lot of fun and gets pretty far up the sides on the first helix after the second lift which really took me by suprise. We only got on it once today but we'll be back tomorrow to check out the covered bridge festival and ride some more rides.

Oh, and this is totally off topic but I want to mention again how awesome StratosFear is. This little drop tower puts drop towers that are twice it's height to shame. We rode it at least 10 times today. If you haven't been on this style of Drop Tower do yourself a favor and ride one of then. It's insane.

As always we had a great time at PPP and can't wait to get some more rides in tomorrow!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 pm

The ride is outstanding in my book. It's super smooth and quiet. The comfort may be more than that of an Anton speed racer seat. It's amazing how Knoebels can move a line even for a ride that has 9 available seats.

Also, Phoenix is running faster and smoother than I've ever experienced.
ft.jpg

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:21 pm

I wanted Io wait until I read more reviews before commenting and I'm happy that the ride is getting great reviews. It's not very often we see parks try something unique and despite the very, very lengthy wait it appears the ride was worth it in the end.

It seems after all the jokes aimed at Knoebel's about the Flying Turns they are the ones with the last laugh.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Geauga Dog wrote:
It seems after all the jokes aimed at Knoebel's about the Flying Turns they are the ones with the last laugh.

They sure were patient in getting to the punchline. ;) It's good that their patience has paid off.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Jew wrote:I wonder how long it will take it to valley? Only a matter of time with the huge emphasis on the weight limit...

It's not going to valley, there's nowhere for it to valley. The weight limit is obviously to keep the center of gravity below the rider so that the trains don't fall over. (When you're watching it from the queue or wherever, it really doesn't look like it's going very fast [but don't worry, it seems much faster when you're riding it.])

Another item of note: below the station floor is a system of ducts to blow air on the wheels. I don't know whether it's to keep the grease warmed up in cold weather, or to keep the wheels dry. (Reportedly, they announced that they had no intentions of running it in the rain.)

eddie200330 wrote:I was interested more in the padding on the sides and how well they (trains) handle the transitions and such.

They handle the transitions very well. As you may be able to see from the pictures, there's an absolutely ridiculous number of articulation points. At times it seems like a car is almost 90 degrees from the one in front or back of it. With that kind of maneuverability, I'm surprised that they had to shorten it to three cars from the planned five.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the great reports and pictures!! I'm really looking forward to riding Flying Turns next year. I'm glad Knoebels stuck with it, this is exactly why I visit just about every year.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby David H » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Here's a few more pictures. Sorry if they're not great, but I left my camera at home on this trip, and my phone takes crappy pictures of moving coaster trains! (And crappy night shots, which is why I didn't bother last night.)

The queue for FT ran out of the actual queue area and nearly halfway around the ride for most of the day and night. I rode it 3 times on Friday night's preview, and didn't want to wait in the 1-1.5 hour wait all day for it again, especially since Phoenix was running SO well this weekend! But I took some pics for you guys.

PPP was awesome, as always, and Friday night's preview night was even more awesome (and free!) But what else would you expect from Knoebels!

I thought FT was really fun, but not super intense. Others, however, did find it more intense, particularly in the front seat, mostly from the stronger directional changes as you go from troughs on one side to the other.

For those wondering, here's how they handle the loading:

-- First they ask who's riding with whom, and line them up in preliminary queues at the entrance of the station for each of the three seats. 1 or 2 people can ride in each of the 2 seats, but their combined weight cannot exceed 400 pounds. The first ride op will try to arrange the three cars so that the heaviest will be in the front to the lightest in the back, guessing from the looks of the people.

-- Then once the queues move forward, you move on to the scales, in front of the final queue area for each car. There, you'll be weighed. (They make a point to tell you that your eight will NOT be displayed.) The ride op sitting behind you in the station is sitting in front of a series of colored lights that tell him if each car's person or people are within the 400 pound limit and if they are in the proper sequential order form heaviest to lightest. If not, he'll tell the people if they have to switch.

-- Once that's done, you move into the final queuing gates. where you wait for the train to arrive and empty.

-- And then you board. Dump your personal items in the bins. The cars only have a single seat belt across the one or both riders. Now, ride!
72678_397758377016533_1123089797_n.jpg
Yes, it's REALLY running -- at long last!
537881_397758817016489_2052424578_n.jpg
1384355_397759250349779_1756102483_n.jpg
1382867_397758667016504_1427403100_n.jpg
1380567_397759060349798_902880992_n.jpg
Some Knoebels Halloween goodness!
1377497_397759217016449_990001468_n.jpg
1375740_397758417016529_99101106_n.jpg
They have this area cut away into the track area so that you can take good pictures of the actual inside areas of the troughs. This is one of the only areas you can actually see the coaster inside those troughs from outside the ride.
1374371_397758477016523_154653292_n.jpg
1186206_397759393683098_684270898_n.jpg
Note that this is near the end of the queue this afternoon, but the actually entrance to the queue area is actually on the other side of the ride, past the left side of this picture and around all of this track!
1173615_397759323683105_790101166_n.jpg
I wasn't waiting in this queue! Especially not after getting three rides with minimal waits (30-15 minutes, over time) Friday night!
Check out my Photo Trip Report from my Epic Asia Trip! Tons of coasters and a good helping of culture too! The first legs in Japan and Korea are done, and now we're up to the TPR China trip!
Photo TR: David's EPIC Asia trip! TPR China + Japan, Korea, and Taiwan!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:17 am

After - finally - reviving this classic who is for it that Knoebels builds a wooden Shoot-The-Chute next? ;)

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:14 am

simon8899 wrote:After - finally - reviving this classic who is for it that Knoebels builds a wooden Shoot-The-Chute next? ;)

I still hold out hope for a virginia reel to be re-made one day or that wooden reverser roller-coaster from RCT which i'm told was actually a real ride long ago.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!